Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Aack, my poor dad. Cracked block 2000 DeVille

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  codewize 
#1 ·
I've been lurking here for a few days trying to learn what I can about typical issues in a 2000 DeVille while awaiting a response from the dealer. My dad's car was overheating. Took it in. Diagnosed as a head gasket. $4k and a week later, it overheated again, so back to the dealer. They finally told him today it has a cracked block. That makes sense.

So, they're talking about giving him his $4k back for the misdiagnosed repair. Now what? Where do we find an engine? Who is reputable? We're on the Central Coast of California, halfway between LA and SF.

My parents are senior citizens and don't get online, so I'm doing what I can for them. TIA for any help.

#5 ·
some lawyers out there offer free consultation and a lot of lawyers love to stick it to service providers, so talk to someone and see if you have at least a small claims case, i new jasper engine can't be any more than 5k or whatever the small claims limit is wher eyou live

#8 ·
Well, the dealer says they'll refund the money. And if they don't, he's filing a dispute with the credit card co. So, money issues aside, he still has a dead DeVille and doesn't want to buy an overpriced reman from the dealer or pay out the <insert body cavity of choice here> for another of their fine "repairs."

Suggestions on what to do to get him on the road? (My mom loves the car when it runs. It looks new and she looks good in it.)

#9 ·
well, take a look at whatever paperwork you signed when you put the car in the shop the first time.... if there is a clause that states that they are responsible for any damage as a result of the work they do sue the pants off of them

to get him back on the road... take the money that you are getting back and pay for a reman engine from jaspers or other reputable rebuilder, and get it installed at a good shop. THEN take the receipt from that install/purchase and sue the dealership for that amount of money since thats what you would have been out of pocket had they not refunded your money

#12 ·
Sorry to hear about the problems.

Well there are certainly engines around. Probably find something used for $3k ? Take a look here
http://www.cadillac-automotive-parts.com/

I'm wondering why the block is cracked? That's a really good sign of someone letting it freeze up. The HG I understand, that happens but the block shouldn't be cracked unless they really really overheated it, which also should not happen with the limp home mode.

#15 · (Edited)
Yes, that was me. The company is called Custom Innovations and they are located in Madison Wisconsin. The owners name is Dave, and personally answers the phone 99% of the time. They build a great motor and have top notch customer service. They sell their motors mainly through eBay, but if that doesn't work for your dad, I'm sure Dave can handle the deal over the telephone. I posted his current ad below...it isn't for a 2000 motor, but he does them also. $2695 with a 3 year/unlimited mile warranty, and $99 shipping special. Tell him "Charles from Seattle" sent you! Note in the AE Engines link that they require your motor for them to remanufacture for $3500 plus $299 shipping...of course that doesn't appear the include what it will cost you to ship the bad motor to them. They also say nothing about Timeserting the motors. Dave holds on to $300 as a core charge and promptly refunds it when get gets the bad motor. As you can tell, I have nothing but praise for Custom Innovations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-9...091793354QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#18 ·
Thanks everybody! My dad found a reman out of Michigan. (Yes, Timesert repair was done.) I can't remember the company. The dealer is going to do the swap for the money my dad already paid.

I really appreciate the time y'all took to reply.
Fingers crossed!

#19 ·
Oh, and Codewize, we're wondering about the cracked block, too. My parents bought the car used a couple years ago. They never got it that hot, that's for sure. My dad is totally cautious and aware, used to race. We suspect a pre-existing problem that grew. Sigh.

#21 ·
Well I'm glad to hear things are working out. That sounds like a decent deal.

I'll bet the car had been frozen and someone got rid of it on a whim. Maybe the freeze caused a very small crack the the seal pellets took care of for a while. Just a thought but it is weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.