: Anyone see these?

Destroyer
03-19-07, 08:02 PM
Anyone watch the Top Gear series where they come to America, find 3 cars for $1k or less and travel from Florida to New Orleans?. Pretty funny and one of the 3 cars happens to be an '89 Fleetwood Brougham. If you watch all of them, set aside a half hour or so but its worth it IMO. :thumbsup:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Na36aiBjmHQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WkYChLq1U0M&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G7P6eOIcBuM&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TCZ_qSkDIY&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXOWIaXgFE&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w1AztZM7LRo&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nr3TxKap7Lo&mode=related&search=

Cadillac Giovanni
03-19-07, 10:53 PM
Those are great. Top gear is an awesome show for the car officianado, or just people who like ridiculous car-based shenanigans.

Old Fleetwood
03-19-07, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the post. Those were funny as anything I've seen for a long time.
It's interesting how a tired, ancient Cadillac could still put up a good show against a newer "muscle car" although clapped out but a lot lighter.

lochenjons
03-20-07, 12:12 AM
"to hell with the clutch!"

why do they keep beating on the cadillac?

Cadillac Giovanni
03-20-07, 01:21 AM
They were pissed because the Cadillac still had a working AC.

Gotta love that R-12.

sizanjdf
03-20-07, 03:01 AM
Such a wonderful view on America they were given. Gotta love what some of the people in this country have become.

Red_October_7000
03-20-07, 04:38 AM
Ah, the south... not exactly a picture of all of America but certainly the best place to unleash Top Gear for humor value. I love Top Gear. They are crazy.

David W. Bailey
03-20-07, 07:02 AM
Wake up guys!

It's a group of smug Europeans making fun of the USA through our cars. It's bold talk from Brits, who have lost just about every car manufacturer they ever had, and when they did make cars over there, most were junk.

I am not a "right winger", but I am getting tired of anti-USA humor!

Destroyer
03-20-07, 07:41 AM
Wake up guys!

It's a group of smug Europeans making fun of the USA through our cars. It's bold talk from Brits, who have lost just about every car manufacturer they ever had, and when they did make cars over there, most were junk.

I am not a "right winger", but I am getting tired of anti-USA humor!Relax. I agree they were having fun and made some jokes but nothing too offensive (unless you are from Alabama). They did say they believed that in certain parts of America people mate with vegetables and I sorta agree with that assessment although I believe its call incest.

Hammondsix
03-20-07, 07:49 AM
they say that they love their cars towards the end. if you want the entire show go to www.finalgear.com

David W. Bailey
03-20-07, 09:32 PM
They may end up liking the cars, but they get in lots of insults on the way. Look, I don't mind people teasing and kidding about the US, but right now, I am on "anti-American overload". I'm just tired of it.

Back in the studio, these three clowns advise their audience not to go to America. This is the same bunch that stated that the CTS-V was "rubbish" and the tall skinny guy constantly mentions Mercedes...has he looked at some of the recent reliability reports on MB products?

ReagansRollsRoyce
03-20-07, 09:42 PM
Funny, mostly.

I can't help but agree with the assessment on 80s cars "How can you get so little horsepower from a car?" 190 in a Camaro was pretty sad. But that was the way it was in that decade.

Yeah, I'm on anti-American overload too, but this is to be expected from the Brits. They've viewed us for centuries as their somewhat embarassing stepchild.

They cloak this with liberal digs at the country, but deep down, they'd really like to have the power they used to and be ordering people around across the globe.

That aside, I was impressed by how well that FWB held up for the condition it was in. It honestly makes me feel better about my own when stuff goes wrong...it's like..."okay sure, I just dropped such and such on a heater core and that was expensive, but I'd still make it from Miami to New Orleans if it was in 10 X worse shape like that one on Top Gear"

I don't know about you guys but that to me says we've got some pretty well made cars.

Benzilla
03-20-07, 10:21 PM
I have to say that's my favorite episode of top gear ever.

You won't really deep down get and understand all of the digs until you've been forced to live in the south against your will! Lets just leave it at that. I'm as American as anybody, more than some people, but southerners are idiots and they deserved every slam the Brits gave them!

Loved the caddy, it looks like it would have resembled my '90 Brougham when it was new. I think I saw Diplomat blue under all that filth.

I could go on for hours, but I'll shut up now. But I must say I deeply enjoyed that, thank you for posting it.

ReagansRollsRoyce
03-20-07, 10:37 PM
I have to say that's my favorite episode of top gear ever.

You won't really deep down get and understand all of the digs until you've been forced to live in the south against your will! Lets just leave it at that. I'm as American as anybody, more than some people, but southerners are idiots and they deserved every slam the Brits gave them!

Loved the caddy, it looks like it would have resembled my '90 Brougham when it was new. I think I saw Diplomat blue under all that filth.

I could go on for hours, but I'll shut up now. But I must say I deeply enjoyed that, thank you for posting it.

I don't completely disagree with you on that stuff, I'm just saying I expect it from the British, they love "taking the piss" as one of my English classmates used to call it.

Ditto the thanks for the post though, great stuff.

Brother_B
03-20-07, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the post. It was about funny enough for me to piss my pants a few times, AND they were smug arrogant pricks at the same time. I say we go do the same thing to their country... but lets bring our Lacs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-07, 11:27 PM
Ah I wouldn't worry to much about their remarks. They're just saying that because they have an audience and ratings to attend to, and anti american humor helps English ratings.

I enjoyed that episode, especially James' remark about the Brougham's acceleration, which I believe went something like this... "I must say, this thing is dreadfully slow, I'm doing 55 and I've got the pedal almost to the floor and she's struggling to hit 60".... how true James..how true. Although, I must say, I would have liked to see a flat out drag race between the Brougham and that Ram.

Brother_B
03-21-07, 12:09 AM
Although they portrayed the Fleetwood as super-slow, was it me, or didn't it seem to do almost as well as the Camaro in the acceleration and braking test? The fact that the AC was working was great. Clearly that guy had his priorities in order for the road trip. 1st place goes to the Fleetwood, 2nd to the Dodge Ram and a distant 3rd for the Bitchin Camaro.

Benzilla
03-21-07, 12:22 AM
Guys, are the 307's really that bad? You seriously have to floor them to go 60? I've never driven one so I don't know. But really?

I loved how the guy was admiring the Fleetwood as it went around the track. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees "it" in these cars. I think they look great in action, to me, seeing the Fleetwood rip through that course was almost as fun as seeing Marilyn Monroe shoot a machine gun.... lets think about that for a moment.

I hope somebody gets what I'm saying. Like the first time I saw Goodfellas and watched the '79 CDV whip around corners going 60 and all that. I love seeing massive, plush, chrome land yachts pick up their skirts and haul ass!

I need treatment, I know.

CaddymanTom
03-21-07, 12:42 AM
I liked the show too. It still amazes me how ignorant some people are in this country. I think each part of the country has its shall we say disappointments and embarassments when it comes to people. The Brougham was a nice car. I did get a little irrated when they kept hitting it. Yes the 307 is not a sports car engine by any means. I know I would love a 5.7 in my 87. The Caddy sure kept running. I kept thinking if I was the guy in the Caddy I would of stolen the battery out of the Ram. My conclusion on the show is that if you think about it you can buy an american car for less then 1000 dollars drive in relative comfort and still make it from Miami to New Orleans safely. (depending on what you have written on the side of you car of course)

David W. Bailey
03-21-07, 07:21 AM
Trust me on this one guys, I've been to England three times and they have folk that can rival any southern US "hillbilly". After all, our "hillbillies" or rednecks, can mostly trace their lineage back to somewhere in the UK!

Oh well, enough complaining. I agree the show was funny, but their humor seemed to always be at someone else's expense and was often mean spirited.

The Brits have long believed that all of our cars are junk and don't trouble them with the facts. I guess that if you came from a country that made legendary problem cars, you might be a tad sensitive about the subject of cars. You older forum members no doubt remember what unmitigated pieces of crap that the 70's MG's and Triumphs were. Strangely enough, no one back then from the USA went to the UK and made an insulting TV show about England and its fleet of oil leaking, electrically pathetic cars!

BTW: I had an 80's Brougham and while it was not fast, it was no slower than the Rolls Royce of the same era, with its "undisclosed" horsepower! The Rolls Royce's of that era advertised their HP as "adequate" and I remember that the 0-60 times on the two cars were very close, with a slight edge to the 'Wood. (If I remember correctly)

Thanks for letting me vent!

ReagansRollsRoyce
03-21-07, 11:20 AM
Guys, are the 307's really that bad? You seriously have to floor them to go 60? I've never driven one so I don't know. But really?

I loved how the guy was admiring the Fleetwood as it went around the track. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees "it" in these cars. I think they look great in action, to me, seeing the Fleetwood rip through that course was almost as fun as seeing Marilyn Monroe shoot a machine gun.... lets think about that for a moment.

I hope somebody gets what I'm saying. Like the first time I saw Goodfellas and watched the '79 CDV whip around corners going 60 and all that. I love seeing massive, plush, chrome land yachts pick up their skirts and haul ass!

I need treatment, I know.

Totally. I had the same feeling watching it. There's just something about seeing one in motion.

I have to wonder if the car on the show had bad compression or something. Yes, 0-60 on my 307 is 14 seconds, and original reviews of the car had it about the same, but I don't have to push the pedal to the floor to get it past 55 in a flat area like he was driving. Sometimes going up a really steep hill you've got to floor it to keep it up there, but usually you just have to give it a push and force the transmission to downshift.

Cadillacboy
03-21-07, 12:17 PM
Stupid program and its moron makers :want: :rolleyes: :bigroll: :thepan: