: 2007 Seats vs. old style seats

surburban99
03-19-07, 09:45 AM
Test drove a new ESV this past Saturday. Great driving vehicle, and liked the changes. But, the front seats did not seem as comfortable to me as my 2005.

I would like to hear from Forum members that have purchased a 2007 and have noticed the same.

THANKS!!

hcvone
03-19-07, 11:15 AM
I said that my first post when I got my first 07' in April, the seats in the 07' are nowhere near as comfortable as the 02' to 06' seats, they made the center console bigger and the seats not as wide, also the seat belts are not incorporated into the seats, this causes a less confortable ride due to the seat belts new config. I will say after owning 3 of them including the buy back, the seats seem very good after you get used to them. The 02' to 06' seats were the most comfortable seats of any car/SUV I have ever owned. :)

Dif
03-19-07, 12:46 PM
It's not your imagination.
I noticed that about the 07 seats before I even bought one at the dealer sitting in one.
The firmness of the 07's are better but the shape and width are definitly not as good or as wide.
I noticed there is more room on the door side of the seats to put your hand down there to work the seat controls and that's one reason the seats are narrower.
About 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches narrower than the 02-06's.
Also they eliminated the side/lateral supports and I find myself always sliding in the seat, side to side in turns etc. unless I brace myself.
Also, the bottom part of the 07 seat does not move up and down independently from the back part of the seat like the 02-06.... one thing I really liked about them.
I have to say the firmness does pay off on a long trip/ride but, they could/should have been more bucket shaped.

surburban99
03-19-07, 01:20 PM
It's not your imagination.
I noticed that about the 07 seats before I even bought one at the dealer sitting in one.
The firmness of the 07's are better but the shape and width are definitly not as good or as wide.
I noticed there is more room on the door side of the seats to put your hand down there to work the seat controls and that's one reason the seats are narrower.
About 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches narrower than the 02-06's.
Also they eliminated the side/lateral supports and I find myself always sliding in the seat, side to side in turns etc. unless I brace myself.
Also, the bottom part of the 07 seat does not move up and down independently from the back part of the seat like the 02-06.... one thing I really liked about them.
I have to say the firmness does pay off on a long trip/ride but, they could/should have been more bucket shaped.

I thought I was correct. But, are you impressed with the '07 vs. your old Escalade?

caddycruiser
03-19-07, 01:27 PM
Agreed. I love most everything about the new trucks, and love to sing their praises over all the stuff that was improved, but the front seats are still a bit of a question to me. I've been supremely comfortable in all the new GMT-900's I've tried out at auto shows, and they're really still on the better end of full-size truck and SUV seats...until I get back in our '04.

The extra width is semi noticeable, but moreso, the individual and separate armrests are a much nicer provision than just sitting your arm on the console lid like so many other vehicles are like, the overall shape is about as supportive and comfortable for all people as it gets, and the in-seat belts are still the only ones that have ever been perfect for me.

Again, not to say that I couldn't still have a '07+ and love those seats, but just being so familiar with the previous gen's will always make them seem a bit lacking in comparison.

So, still some of the best, but also the result of the designers wanting "thinner and trimmer" in conjunction with comfort, which removed a few old niceties a lot of people grew used to.

hcvone
03-19-07, 02:06 PM
My 03' was the best car/SUV I have ever owned, and I have had twin turbo Porsche's, M5 BMW's and even a 550 Ferrari, my 03' Escalade was comfortable and fun to drive, my 07's (I have two) while may not be as confortable in the seat, are still very comfortable to drive (I have been back and forth several time from my home in PA to our home in Montana) and the 07's are fast and handle much better than the 02's to 06's. Only time will tell how good my 07's are. :)

Dif
03-19-07, 02:13 PM
I thought I was correct. But, are you impressed with the '07 vs. your old Escalade?
I did like my 04 EXT but ..

Yes, excluding the 07 seats.. which really are not all bad.. I am extremely impressed with my 07 EXT over my 04 EXT.
Long story short .... I think everything about the 07 is better. :)

caddycruiser
03-19-07, 07:24 PM
The last 2 posts are dead on. Again, the '07 seats are still terrific and some of the better out there, and if the last gen didn't exist, no one probably would be saying anything. Overall, most everything throughout the trucks are massively improved, though, so it's just a minor drop in the can that only some owners will ever even think about.

Case in point, I drove a loaded '07 Yukon a couple of months ago, and never even gave the seats a real thought because I was so comfortable as is and it just drove and felt so much better in general than our '04. So, I could give up the armrests and seatbelt layout without much thought, in reality.