: Eldorado Cooling System

BeChillin
03-18-07, 10:36 PM
I have a 96 Eldorado ETC. When in traffic, my guage reads 3/4. My mechanic says it should run in the middle. He has put a new waterpump, hoses, radiator, cap, and thermostat in and it still runs the same. I took it to the dealer and had the system flushed and new coolant added. The dealer stated the Northstars run 230 to 240 all summer long. Dealer al;so stated that the fans come on at the coirrect tempature. Do Eldorados have a cooling problem or am I juat over cautious?

Ranger
03-18-07, 11:00 PM
:welcome:
Normal running temps are 205 -215. Some run a bit lower and some a bit higher, normal on the gauge is at the 1/2 mark. 3/4 is high. Check the purge line. It is the 3/8" line that runs from the water pump housing to the top side of the surge tank. With the engine running (cold), pull the line at the tank. It should be spurting coolant. Flow will increase with RPM. If you have flow, quickly plug it back on and retighten the clamp. If not., locate and clear the obstruction as it will cause an overheat.

BeChillin
03-18-07, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Ranger. I forgot to add this though (not sure if it matters). The car runs in the middle range of guage at idle. It ran for 20 minutes yesterday at my work and doesn't seem to get warm until I start actually driving it. I will check the purge liune tomorrow. Again, Thank you.

wydopnthrtl
03-19-07, 07:33 AM
If it'll stay cool at idle.. I would suspect either an obstruction in the coolant passages / hoses.. or maybe the radiator isn't getting adequate air flow?

btw: I data logged my 01 eldo temps. It runs in the 205 area and the dash guage runs at the 12:30 o-clock position. NEVER goes higher.

Rich

JimHare
03-19-07, 01:57 PM
Is it possible the temp sending unit itself is bad? Is this an item that either works (correctly) or doesn't, or could it be transmitting an incorrect number?

blunted
03-19-07, 05:39 PM
Just any FYI.. practically my entire cooling system is brand new AC-Delco everything and here in NYC stop&go traffic on a hot day the worst it gets is about 230. Not sure where your from and your traffic conditions but a constant 230-240 is a little high for my liking. Do what Ranger said and also get your cooling system pressure checked. I decided to tell my mechanic to do it. just for the hell of it when getting my coolant changed and it revealed a leak in my radiator that I never noticed and could have easily overheated me in the near future.

Also, hows the condition of the metal fins on your radiator? If a good section of it is bent in or dented somehow that could obstruct air flowing thru it.

BeChillin
03-19-07, 11:19 PM
Radiator is brand new. I live in Phoenix and the temp here is already in the 100's. I checked the purge line and the belt and tensioner and all look good. the dealer supposedly flushed the system and put dexcool in, but when i checked the purge line my fluid was a light color green. I thought dexcool was orange. Did I get JUKED?

Ranger
03-19-07, 11:52 PM
Yup, Dex is orange. Green will work, but change coolant every 2 years from now on.

J.A.O.
03-25-07, 01:48 AM
My 96 ETC does the EXACT SAME THING. I too have had the radiator replaced and still no change. Every time I panic and have the dealer check the system, they always tell me they cannot find anything wrong with it. This includes the head gaskets by the way. I'm thinking that maybe the gauge is just very sensitive. I'm tempted to set the digital temp display, but I just never seem to get around to it.