: Ever had a car shipped?

99esteees
03-18-07, 09:57 PM
Has anyone ever had a car shipped? I've been searching all around for the right car and found one I am really stuck on, but it is 215 miles away. I am contemplating asking about having the vehicle shipped, but I do not know how much that would cost. If it is $500 or less that I no problem but I don't really want to pay much more than that...

dkozloski
03-18-07, 10:15 PM
It must be in bad shape if you don't want to drive it 215 miles. I bought a Mazda RX-7 Turo about 2200 miles away, got on a plane, flew to the dealer and drove it home. It took three days.

Jesda
03-18-07, 10:17 PM
They own their own fleet. Friend had good luck with them:
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

Don't go through anyone else. Its a shady business!

99esteees
03-18-07, 10:20 PM
Thanks Jesda, I will check them out.

Car is in good shape and only has 79k, it's just that I can't make time to get there until early April.

Benzilla
03-18-07, 10:23 PM
I had my '79 Phaeton shipped from California to keep the miles down. Cost me 1k and was a nightmare.

99esteees
03-18-07, 11:39 PM
So I have found a couple potential shippers..

Now can anyone explain how buying a car from another state work? Like paperwork and all of that?

slk230mb
03-18-07, 11:49 PM
So I have found a couple potential shippers..

Now can anyone explain how buying a car from another state work? Like paperwork and all of that?

Depends on what state the car was last registered in and what state it's going to be registered in. I only have experience in NJ-NY and it was a breeze.

99esteees
03-19-07, 12:04 AM
Depends on what state the car was last registered in and what state it's going to be registered in. I only have experience in NJ-NY and it was a breeze.

Going from WI to IN. Just wondering if it will consist of faxing paperwork back and forth between me and the dealer or what.

Spyder
03-19-07, 12:20 AM
Pay my expenses and I'll do it...good excuse to get the hell out of my town and see a part of the country I've not been to before!

dkozloski
03-19-07, 12:37 AM
The dealer gives you temporary tags to get it home, then go to your home state DMV. No big deal.

99esteees
03-19-07, 12:39 AM
The dealer gives you temporary tags to get it home, then go to your home state DMV. No big deal.

I'm trying to buy the car without actually being there

dkozloski
03-19-07, 01:32 AM
I'm trying to buy the car without actually being there
It should be even easier. He will mail you the paperwork by certified mail and ship the rig.

Jesda
03-19-07, 08:38 AM
Pay my expenses and I'll do it...good excuse to get the hell out of my town and see a part of the country I've not been to before!

I second this idea.

Spyder
03-19-07, 12:32 PM
Jesda and I should open a courier service...

What's that called when people get paid to deliver cars? Like the guy in Vanishing Point...I can't remember the "term" they use.

I always thought that would be a great fun job for a single guy with spare time. Extra cash and free tours of the country. Great!

I would love it.

99esteees
03-19-07, 01:54 PM
Interestring...

I called the sales place about the vehicle and the man said it is not possible to buy a vehicle without being there. They need to verify identity and this and that. I don't see how identity plays a roll if they are getting overnighted funds, oh well..

ewill3rd
03-19-07, 02:16 PM
I had 2 vehicles shipped from CA to DC, cost me a lot of money.
Of course that is a long way.
I forget who I had do it, we arranged it through the service that was moving us for my wife's job. They did a nice job, the vehicles were well taken care of, but it was a long move not a short one.
200 miles, you could probably hire a tow company for less than $500.
You might just call some tow companies and see what kind of price they'd give you on it.

Cadillacboy
03-19-07, 02:19 PM
I had mine current shipped .It was what a nightmare lol .I mean I had quite rough times by the time the car came around my house .
I wouldn't tell you how happy I was when they called me the car was coming closer :D

99esteees
03-19-07, 02:28 PM
Well I guess it is out of the question now considering they are saying it isnt possible to buy the car without being there :thepan:

Devils Elbow
03-19-07, 09:14 PM
Well I guess it is out of the question now considering they are saying it isnt possible to buy the car without being there :thepan:

Sounds like BS to me - I bought my new CTS without ever setting foot in the dealership - all done over the phone and internet. ...and then they drove to my house for delivery.

pimpin88
03-19-07, 10:16 PM
Be careful who you pick if you are still having it shipped. Check this thread out from the impala forum. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page for pictures.

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=005530

ewill3rd
03-20-07, 07:09 AM
There are ways around being there in person, but you would probably have to go to a local dealer or something and use a notary, faxes, and maybe some fedex. It would be more costly than just driving 200 miles with a buddy and driving back.

Gearheaad43
03-20-07, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Jesda;1017077]They own their own fleet. Friend had good luck with them:
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

I used them to have my 97 STS shipped to me... Was pleased with the job they did... And they shipped it FAST too!!

jstein12
03-20-07, 06:02 PM
Listen to Koz,

I bought my '04 CTS on ebay. Money was e-transferred in a matter of hours.

Got it from Michigan>NJ with no cost, as I paid cash "upfront". Other than a few e-mails and phone calls, the dealer couldn't care less about my personnaly being there.

The transporter was in constant touch enroute, and the car was delivered without a scratch. It came with a temp sticker good for 20 days. Went to my DMV without a hitch - Title, plates, registration -Done!

As mentioned, all pertinent paperwork was certified mailed to me in advance.

I never knew it could be this easy and smooth.

Beware if this dealer is insisting on unneccessary conditions.

To basically answer your question, it seems the going rates average at about $300 per 1000 miles.

DO NOT - DO NOT go with these schemes of somebady personnaly driving the car. Think about the insurance ramifications.

Go with a pro who transports it on a rig.

Good Luck - Joe