: Horn

Brother_B
03-18-07, 08:21 PM
My horn has never worked since I had the car. Well, the horns will blow if I connect a jumper wire, but I can't honk it from the steering wheel like youre supposed to. I took off the horn pad and this is what I saw. What am I missing here? My manual is not very helpful on this subject.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/Brother_B/Horn001.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/Brother_B/Horn002.jpg

Brother_B
04-07-07, 05:24 PM
Trying to resurrect this thread. Anybody know how to fix a horn pad?

Old Fleetwood
04-07-07, 11:41 PM
Where does that loose ring terminal go ?:confused:

Brother_B
04-08-07, 03:44 AM
That's what I'm wondering. The picture shows exactly what I saw when I took off the pad. My wiring diagram shows that there is supposed to be a horn contact, that energizes when grounded, I think. A black and white wire is supposed to run from the horn contact to the horn relay. But all I have is a loose white wire with a ring terminal that runs down intot hat plastic tower.

deVille33
04-09-07, 12:32 AM
There is quite a bit missing here. Did you get the car like this? There should be a coil spring and another plastic piece. Most people who mess with these end up breaking these parts because they don't have the proper tools. I think I have a manual with this info. I'll check.

Brother_B
04-09-07, 08:03 PM
Thanks a lot! What manual do you have?

Brother_B
04-22-07, 08:31 PM
Deville33, did you ever dig up your manual that has info on the horn? I have the FSM and Fisher Body Manual, but it's not in those.

Old Fleetwood
04-22-07, 09:23 PM
Bro B -
No fun driving around with no horn unless you go around with open windows and have one helluva loud voice.
Therefore, from a great distance, and with NO MANUAL for your car, let's get your car making some noise:
>Could that ring terminal get screwed into the back plate of the horn? Are there any holes that look like it might go there?
>If so, could you jumper from there to ground and make the horn blow?
Is that the circuit?
If not, what IS the circuit?
Thus, can you duplicate it using the wires you have at hand? And where does that @%&*@$&&* ring terminal go?
>if you meter it to something, do you get a reading?
>if you don't have a meter, in a dark place if you BARELY touch something grounded, do you see a spark?
>If you do, IT'S HOT (+)
>If you do not it still may be hot but not yet energized or may be negative. :alchi:
That's the tough part to find out. But it's a start.
Here's hoping other guys on this BB will chime in.

z06bigbird
04-22-07, 11:26 PM
If you can't find the parts that might be missing, you can run a wire directly from the inside cabin to the horns. Go to an electr shop and ask for a switch that will carry enough amperage. (That spec was hard to find.) Then the same switch needs to provide current only as long as you hold it down.

Under $5 generally.

Works like a charm.

cadillacmike68
04-22-07, 11:49 PM
I have a 68 steering column for sale the horn in it worked fine when i took it out. It's a straight column not a T&T. That's why I replaced it.

Brother_B
04-23-07, 12:31 AM
CadillacMike: I'll be your best friend if you take off the horn pad from your spare '68 column and tell me what you see under there! Or better yet take a picture. Mine is tilt/telescope, do you think that makes a difference?
Old Fleetwood: Thanks a lot for the ideas. I have tried grounding that ring terminal. Maybe I need to try harder. I'll try some stuff with the multimeter as well. In my manual's instructions for steering wheel removal, it says "1. Remove three screws from back of spokes and lift pad assembly from wheel. (...) 6. Remove horn contact wire from plastic tower at wheel hub by gently pulling wire out of tower." This makes me think the stuff I am missing is attached to the pad assembly.
Z06BigBird: Something like a switch will be my last resort. If I have to go there, at least I'll be able to honk at people, something I have wanted to do many times. I have thought about doing something like this, but I want the dang thing to work like it's supposed to.

Thanks Guys

Old Fleetwood
04-23-07, 10:10 PM
Unless I miss the boat completely, the amperage needed down the wires at the steering wheel isn't all that high.
It should only be high enough to trip the HORN RELAY unless somebody bypassed the relay and went directly to the horns. (very bad business).
In any case, if you can get some kind of SOMETHING going down the wire that goes down the steering column, you got it licked. That's why I'm so hot on using a meter to sense some kind of current, even if only a tiny bit.

kmagari
04-26-07, 02:06 PM
They Rocket scientist I bought my 70 Deville from installed the ugliest doorbell switch you can imagine right to the dash! That my horn until I uncover that disaster!

Old Fleetwood
04-26-07, 05:11 PM
Well, it beats screaming your guts out from an open window ! :thumbsup:

N0DIH
04-26-07, 09:33 PM
Didn't the Cads then you had to squeeze the rim of the wheel to honk it? My grandmother hated that on her 73 Deville. By the time she found where to squeeze the guy was gone and she had no one to honk at!

Brother_B
04-26-07, 10:16 PM
Just got my car started after it was down for months! Went out for my first test drive. I pulled into a parking lot and stopped because some chick was slowly backing out in her car COMING RIGHT AT ME. She never even looked as she was gabbing on her cell phone. I froze up. No horn! She stopped one freaking inch before she hit me. Then threw it in Drive and drove off. I don't think she ever even saw me at all. I need a horn bad.

limousine rider
04-28-07, 02:44 AM
There should be 3 horns located in the front of your car. Ied say by the looks of things your steering wheel is a mix match, someone has put parts from another car in it or scooped parts from yours at one point .. You may want to run an external botton on your dash like some of the other members have stated unless you can get the right peices, good luck ..

Old Fleetwood
04-28-07, 10:12 PM
You may have to go to a boneyard to get the correct wheel.
That may solve the whole problem, especially if your car had one of those GM "Rim-Blow" things.

kmagari
04-30-07, 08:32 AM
Check Ebay, I always see them there, until then go to the hardware store , a good doorbell switch will work

BFrank06
05-09-12, 06:39 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but it looks like you have a 1969 Cadillac. That year's model was a rim-blow steering wheel. The horn is not under the horn pad; it is actually in the center of the wheel part under the wood grain. press on it. It doesn't usually function well.

sven914
05-09-12, 06:46 PM
This thread is over five years old...

N0DIH
05-09-12, 06:47 PM
My grandparents had a 73 or 74 Deville with that, my grandma hated it, when she needed to honk at someone she could never find it, when she didn't, she found it....

jayoldschool
05-09-12, 08:08 PM
Honk for zombie thread!

talismandave
05-09-12, 09:09 PM
This thread is over five years old...
You would think it would have been fixed by now....