: Unstick my girls car

nofinga911
03-18-07, 03:36 PM
My girls altima is stuck in the snow which is now ice and im not gonna spend a whole day digging the sides out....how can i pull her out?? could i use tow rope without doing any damage to her front bumper....i cant get to the back of her car there is a 5 ft. pile of ice...so i have to pull her somehow wit my ext...possible??

danbuc
03-18-07, 07:39 PM
Whatever you do, don't attach the rope/chain/whatever you using to anything like the control arms, tie rods, ect. They're guaranteed to bend, or break and that's not gonna be cheap to fix. If you can get under the front of the car and attached it to a portion of the front cradle supporting the engine and trans (basically the chassis) that is probably the safest way to pull it out. Either way, your going to be exerting a tremendous amount of force on the car. If you can dig as much snow out from in front of the vehicle down to about 5-7 inches than you should have too much of a problem. If you do get it hooked up to a strong, non-movable part of the chassis, make sure all of the slack is out of the rope/chain before you start pulling. If you just go for it without taking up the slack, when the rope/chain does tension up, it's going to stress the car a whole lot more, which can result in bad things happening. Just be careful and clear as much of a path you can for it before you try.

Jesda
03-18-07, 07:44 PM
What about melting the snow with a torch?

Spyder
03-18-07, 07:52 PM
...Move to Arizona?

Boombotz
03-18-07, 07:55 PM
Watch this video. It should help you.
http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=235176

dkozloski
03-18-07, 08:26 PM
If it was your mothers' car no matter what happened she'd still love you. Your girl is liable to order a hit on you.

derrty_deville
03-18-07, 08:57 PM
Dig out the path the car will go when its towed so it wont bottom out in snow/ice then hook up to a SOLID part of the car. Get the slack out of the rope and be gentle with the gas, you dont need to floor it. Go slow and communicate.

As you can see in the video, failure to clear the path drags the car in the snow and creates a lot of unnecessary stress on the car. This is half the reason people cant drive out of ditches they drove into.

z06bigbird
03-18-07, 09:05 PM
If you were really talented, you could do like I used to when I was 6 or 7 years old. First make sure it it dark out. Then make sure no one is looking. Then if you pee in front of the front wheels, that will melt the snow, at least for a few minutes. Here is where the talent comes in. You can actually write your name in the snow, and it stands out because it is yellow.

Doing the same in front of the rear wheels is a little tougher.

Ed

nikon
03-19-07, 12:49 AM
Watch this video. It should help you.
http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=235176

damnit, you beat me too it...thats the first video I thought about :D

ShadowLvr400
03-19-07, 10:35 AM
Salt? Small fires? Let the engine sit and idle for a while, creating its own heat? Garden hose to the exhaust? Actually? That would be a good idea for northern cars... A small exhaust line from the engine to just in fron of the drive tires. Use the warm air to help thaw.

EcSTSatic
03-19-07, 11:01 AM
Salt? Small fires? Let the engine sit and idle for a while, creating its own heat? Garden hose to the exhaust? Actually? That would be a good idea for northern cars... A small exhaust line from the engine to just in fron of the drive tires. Use the warm air to help thaw.

Following that thought, I have one of those 150K BTU forced air portable kerosene heaters. I'll bet that pointing one of those at the car for a while would thaw things out.

It looks something like this:
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/3a/c7/d3/37406675.JPG

DLE
03-19-07, 11:36 AM
extension cord and a heat gun? lol.

that video is funny :thumbsup:

nofinga911
03-19-07, 12:15 PM
If it was your mothers' car no matter what happened she'd still love you. Your girl is liable to order a hit on you.

na its koo im the italian one...shes greek ...haa

OffThaHorseCEO
03-20-07, 12:40 AM
is she hot?