: Test drove a G35 Sedan

gary88
03-17-07, 11:03 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8205/0317071914ud0.jpg

Went car hunting today, and ended up test driving a 2005 G35 sedan. 48,000 miles on the clock, and the dealer is asking $19,988 for it. I really like this thing. The first thing I noticed when I got in it is how the seat controls along with the window controls are on the right side of the seat, near the stitching on the top. That was pretty convienient, not having to reach down to the side of the seat to look for them. I was a little dissapointed at the lack of lumbar support though. Not much to complain about though, the seats are comfortable and supportive. The Infiniti stitching on them looks nice and adds some character to the interior. The steering wheel telescopes, and tilts along with the entire gauge cluster which is pretty neat. You have to do it manually though with 2 somewhat awkward to operate handles underneath the steering wheel. The electronic tilt/telescope wheel on my Seville works way better.

The engine sound is great. Sounds very prominent when you turn the ignition, and has a very noticeable and nice sounding idle, especially outside. If you're looking for a silent ride, this isn't the car for you. I LOVE the feel of the steering, you always feel like you have complete control of the car at all times. The steering is very responsive. Not too heavy, not too light, just perfect. Didn't get to take it through any nice twisties, but I could tell the handling was great even aroun town. I didn't get to WOT it, but I did get it up to 4k a few times. The engine has torque everywhere. Giving it even slightly more throttle that normal from a stop jolts you into the seat. The 5 speed auto is nice and has a tiptronic like feature which is always fun to mess around with.

The standard non-Bose stereo that came with it sounded pretty good, about on par with the non-Bose stereo in my Seville, maybe just a touch clearer. HIDs come standard which is always nice. This one has a moonroof too. The clock in the middle of the dash adds a very nice touch to the interior. Cruise control and radio controls are mounted right on the steering wheel and are easy to use. I like the orange lit gauges. They look great and are easy to read.

Later this week I'll be going to look at a 3.6L CTS and hopefully get a test drive in :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-07, 11:19 PM
Nice cars, I always read tons of praise for them in the car mags. I've driven a '03 Maxima with that VQ35DE V-6 and I love it! Tons of power everywhere in the RPM band, fast, fuel efficent, sweet sounding, quick to rev and light feeling, etc etc. Apparently, that motor has been in Ward's Top 10 engines list since the mid '90s if not earlier, it's that good. I've sat in a few G's before and I agree their seats are great, softly cushioned yet nicely bolstered for support in aggressive driving. All in all, they're a great car, but I gotta admit, you need the coupe version. :thumbsup:

Jesda
03-18-07, 01:08 AM
I hate the seats, hate the adjustment switches, and hate how cheap the whole interior feels. I -love- the body and drivetraiin.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-07, 02:06 PM
I gotta say that the Coupe has a much better looking exterior.

thebigjimsho
03-18-07, 03:11 PM
If I couldn't afford the V, the G35 was the car I was going to get...

nickc50310
03-18-07, 04:59 PM
Id love to see you get a CTS but I would also love to beat up on your g35 at the national meet if possible! :thepan:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-07, 06:44 PM
I'd actually take a G35 over a CTS.

gary88
03-18-07, 08:01 PM
I like the couple a lot too, but the sedan would suit me better for a few reasons:

1. Cheaper
2. A little more practical
3. Mom likes it better (she'll be driving my car when I'm at college)

Still can't wait to drive the CTS and see how the 2 compare. When I was looking at the G35 yesterday, they had an '05 CTS there w/10,000 miles and the luxury/sport package. Basically my dream CTS. Only thing is it was $27,000 :thepan:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-07, 08:09 PM
Gary, how about a 3 Series, TL, A4 or GS?

caddycruiser
03-18-07, 08:12 PM
The G35 is a very strong car, as you just found out. Compared to a CTS, the interior is actually quite a bit better, it has more "feel" grunt to it, and they don't tend to eat differentials monthly or have many other buggy things like that. The CTS look still gets my gander, as does it just being a Cadillac, but the I really like the visceral nature of the Infiniti and overall layout a bit more.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts after driving both!

gary88
03-18-07, 08:50 PM
3 Series - Always liked the 330Ci, hard to find one with low miles for a good price though.

TL - One of my friends has a newer one and I like it, very nice layout inside. You can get them with a 6 speed which is great. FWD is the main reason I'm not considering one right now.

A4 - Underpowered. Newer ones are real nice but out of my price range. Now an S4, that's a different story. Though all the ones around my price range have 70,000+ miles

GS - Nice car overall, but to me it has that "I think I'm better than you" aura to it.

caddycruiser
03-18-07, 09:04 PM
Well, you've got it narrowed down quite good, so the CTS drive is all you need to really help figure things out.