: Funny noises comming from 1980 Cadillac Eldorado

Eldorado guy
03-17-07, 09:29 PM
Hello. I drove my Eldorado for about a thirty minute trip, and when I returned home, the fuel pump was making syphoning noises. It didn't use to make noise. When I turn the key on, it is almost a grinding or gurgling noise. I just got my license, and I don't have a real job yet, so I did what I could afford to do and bought a new pump from the junk yard. Again, the same noise. Any ideas?
The next noise is a uuuuurrrrruuuuurrrruuuuuurrrrrr that echos off of solid objects that I pass on the road, such as a fence. Could that be a wheel bearing? This started, but then stopped for a while, before the fuel pump noise.
And for the last, when I apply the brakes to stop at a stop sign, right before I get to the line at about two to five miles per hour, I get a thump that I can hear and feel. Could that be the differential? This started before the fuel pump, but after the second noise.

dkozloski
03-17-07, 10:01 PM
Hello. I drove my Eldorado for about a thirty minute trip, and when I returned home, the fuel pump was making syphoning noises. It didn't use to make noise. When I turn the key on, it is almost a grinding or gurgling noise. I just got my license, and I don't have a real job yet, so I did what I could afford to do and bought a new pump from the junk yard. Again, the same noise. Any ideas?
The next noise is a uuuuurrrrruuuuurrrruuuuuurrrrrr that echos off of solid objects that I pass on the road, such as a fence. Could that be a wheel bearing? This started, but then stopped for a while, before the fuel pump noise.
And for the last, when I apply the brakes to stop at a stop sign, right before I get to the line at about two to five miles per hour, I get a thump that I can hear and feel. Could that be the differential? This started before the fuel pump, but after the second noise.
After over half a century of driving along and analyzing automobile noises, I have arrived at the conclusion that most suspected wheel bearings and such noises are tire noises. Thumps and bumps starting and stopping are quite likely motor mounts and motor supports. With the hood open and the motor running, look at what the engine does while having an assistant shift back and forth between drive and reverse. If the engine is flopping around you've found it.