: NJDOT is stupid!...and so are hills...with snow on them...

danbuc
03-17-07, 03:18 AM
It took me 2 and a half hours to make the 12 mile trip back home from my friend house tonight (or this morning depending on how you look at it). After walking out his front door at 1:00...the odyssey that was my drive home began. First, it started with him and I digging my car out of his drive. That took about 35 minutes. Great, now I'm on the road. I merge onto the highway to find that only the shoulder has been plowed....which is completely useless to anyone. So, I make my way home in the middle of the highway (in order that I have a safety zone in which to regain control should I go flying in some random direction) at an average pace for around 30mph. I get to my exit ramp and find that it has been plowed...sweet. I get off the highway, and head up the road towards my street. I was pretty thirsty after having shoveled my friends driveway just to get my car out, so I thought, "Hay, why not stop at 7-11 and get some Snapple to quench my thirst"...yeah, BAD IDEA! I'm driving up the road which has been plowed thankfully, and see up ahead through the intersection that the entrance to the shopping center hasn't been touched. I thought to myself..., "Self...I'm going 40mph and this car weighs 4000lbs..I should make it up the entrance no problem"....WRONG! I get 10 feet in, and BAM....I'm stuck. Even worse...I can't back out onto the road either. I throw the car in park, and walk up tot eh 7-11 and borrow a shovel. Dig out a path up into the lot for my front tires to get far enough in, so that I can gain the momentum I need to get back down the hill onto the main road again. I finish digging out the paths for the tires, and park the car.....right where it was, still in the middle of the entrance. Not a soul in sight at this time of night with the roads the way they were, so I said f**k it! Walked up to the 7-11 and return the shovel and purchase my damn Snapple. Then I floor the car in reverse and go flying onto the main road..I"M OUT. I drive the last 200ft to my street and pull in. I find to my surprise that it's been plowed pretty well (it's private, so the town/state isn't responsible...which is a good thing), and make my way down to the end of the street (it's a dead end cul de sac of sorts) and find that the plow guy is just getting ready to plow my end of the street. I park my car off to the side and wait for him to finish. As I sit and wait, he backs up readying his truck for another pass, and proceeds to back over this island in the road. He puts in in gear to try and pull him self off, and end up digging a ditch out of the dirt with his r/r tire (damn open diff, 2wd Mitsubishi FUSO!). So, now he's sitting there, stuck in the mud so to speak, not getting anything accomplished. I get out of my car, and tell him I'm gonna grab a shovel and help dig him out. Another half an hour goes by and finally he's free. We've got a new Koi pond in the island where the tire was digging away, but at least he's free. He finishes plowing and pulls off to the side. We both get out, shake hand, he thanks me for the help and proceed to have a quick chat about the weather, and the clusterf**k that is the NJDOT. He leaves, and I park my car, and finally walk in the door at 3:30 am. At long last, I'm home. At least I don't have to get up until noon tomorrow. Anyway, just thought I'd share my story of all the various trials and tribulations that comprised my 2 and a half hour, 12 miles journey home in some seriously f**ked weather. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Damn, I didn't realize it was that long. Maybe I'll have to split it up into three parts lie Lord of the Rings or some crap...

Spyder
03-17-07, 05:08 AM
You'll NEVER hear me say this again.

God, I love california.

It was 81 degrees, sunny, light clouds with a 3 mph breeze all day today.

caddydaddy
03-17-07, 08:22 AM
At the start of this storm yesterday, there was a bit of ice on the road, and my '94 Deville was rear ended. I'm officially sick of winter now!

danbuc
03-17-07, 12:29 PM
That blows dude. Hopefully the other people's insurance will get you fixed up in no time. I wouldn't mind it so much, if the plow trucks actually made an effort to clear the road instead of sitting on the side of them in their truck wile they sip coffee and bulls**t back and forth on the radio during their 24 hour, union mandated break. It'd just be nice for them to actually do their job once in a while.

DILLIGAF
03-17-07, 09:56 PM
The day after it snows I start calling the city asking when they'll get to my street.About the 3rd call their out front doing the street.We pay specials in this neighborhood to pay for the streets and utilities that went in a few years ago.I get pretty pissed when they tell me i'm not a high priority street,when 3/4's of this towns homes paid no specials and get their streets plowed first because those streets have more traffic.My theory is they have more traffic because you can drive down their friggen street a day or 2 sooner.

nikon
03-18-07, 11:55 PM
ya the weather did suck last night...50*...I had a couple long islands so it was ok....I cant imagine having to dig my car out...and I cant imagine driving a car in the snow...I've driven a 4wd jeep and that was enough...Ill take the hurricanes thank you very much. :D

Spyder
03-19-07, 01:19 AM
Last night I sat around a campfire drinking beer till one or so in the morning...then I slept in the back of the truck. With no blanket.

:p

ShadowLvr400
03-19-07, 08:57 AM
Cool and breezy yesterday. About 60 degrees. Florida is nice. :)

Spyder
03-19-07, 11:33 AM
Today its back down to 60 or so...the last week we've been between 72 and 80 from sunup to sundown though.

Just wait till July and August when I'm bitching about 110-120 though! :)

malcolm
03-19-07, 12:39 PM
As usual the snow plow blocked all the driveways. My dick head neighbor came blasting out of her driveway flying across the street right into the side of my parked 05 STS. Needless to say, I am not too happy at the moment. The best part is having to climb over the console to get in. It will be a miracle if I don't rupture a disc. Going to the body shop this afternoon. To top it off I picked this week to stop smoking. I'm really not too much fun to be around right now.

dkozloski
03-19-07, 12:59 PM
Here the snowplows here are equipped with a swinging gate on the end of the blade that carries the snow beyond the driveways. If you are handicapped they take special care to make sure your wheelchair ramp is clear. A little extra equipment and a few minutes time takes care of all the heartburn and aggravation.

malcolm
03-19-07, 01:09 PM
how freaking cool is that. around here the plow doesn't dare stop. the angry residents would likely beat him senseless with snow shovels. they seem to take special pleasure in hiding around the corner waiting for you to finish digging and plow you in again.