: Stereo Wiring

kngofhrts88
03-15-07, 01:03 PM
Alright i have a bit of a dilemma. Ive searched the web and havent found the results i need. I am installing a sony 10 disc cd changer in my 88 Fleetwood along with a 12" Kicker sub and am, but heres the thing, i plan to keep my factory radio as i dont like many aftermarket stereos as they dont fit the look i prefer :mad: . So i purchased an fm modular which connects to my factory left and right speaker wires and converts them to RCAs. Now i plan to then run the rcas into the cd changers hideaway box which has rca inputs inside the dash. Then a single wire runs to the changer in the trunk. On the changer itself, it has rca outputs which i could connect to my amp.

So i would only have my power for my amp running to the truck and the one cord for the changer, Less wires=cleaner look. I plan to run the amp power wires under the car through a wire loom and through a grommet in the trunk. Then just run the cd changers single wire through the car to the hideaway box inside the dash behind the radio.

The problem is, i cant figure out the speakers color codes on the wires as to which color is + and - for each speaker. So rather than remove the door panels i figured maybe someone here knows the color combination.:confused:

This may sound complicated but actually its very simple and once i figure out the color combo, ill be able to connect my modular and the rest is simple.

Thanks, Chris

buffalo
03-15-07, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure about the color codes but I have a friend that has been doing car audio for 10 years... I had a talk with him before about the original deck in my car and he said I should run an amp just for the speakers, something simple, to boost the power. Sometimes those old decks can't push out enough power to newer speakers, which will lead to a crackle noise with is only due to lack of power to the voice coils of the speakers. Anyway just my two cents.

kngofhrts88
03-15-07, 10:02 PM
The amp will only be run to the subwoofer not any speakers. I just need the color diagram so i can connect my fm modular to use rcas.

buffalo
03-15-07, 10:28 PM
Well I was just adding that it would be a good choice to do so before having to replace speakers in the end due to damage to the voice coils, when using an old stereo like you said. Cheers

chuckwagon009
03-16-07, 01:04 AM
IF you are running an fm modulator you will only be sending a signal from the changer to the factory radio, through fm radio transmission. You will prolly want to go into the trunk for your sub output from the Radio which i think you will have to get from the speaker outputs going to the 6x9's in the rear deck and either brought into your amp if it has high level inputs, or use a low level output convertor. I am not sure i understand what you have and what you are trying to do but this is what is sounds like you will have to do. I will post tomorrow when i have a look behind my HU and get you some wire color's and the corresponding speakers. I have to get in there anyways, eyeing up how i'm a fit a screen in the dash.

BTW. u ever search for mcintosh HU's? they are expensive but still have the totally elagant look that the caddy deserves.

Brother_B
03-16-07, 01:39 AM
Damn now I know how to use my original stereo and get it connected to a CD or mp3 player! I understand the sound quality may not be great but that's fine with me. I really like the looks of my original stereo. Right now I have the original plus one mounted under the dash that looks like shit and blocks my fuse box. I really want to get rid of that one. Can you guys point me in the direction of where to get an FM modulator?

kngofhrts88
03-16-07, 01:10 PM
you can find these fm modulars pretty much anywhere, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Radio Shack etc for around 20 dollars. Thanks for all the replies, once i get the color codes, ill get this all installed and post some pictures of how i did it for others to see. Thanks

kngofhrts88
03-19-07, 11:13 PM
Someone on here has to know what the wiring for the stock radio is. I need the color combination (which color goes to which speaker + and - for each. It shows a diagram on the top of the radio but i cant seem to figure it out.

Brother_B
03-20-07, 12:07 AM
What color wires do you got?

devilock76
03-20-07, 09:37 AM
I would go this option as well however my factory stereo although functional and looks good is really starting to show its last legs.

As for the colors, typically + - is indicated by the - matching the + color with the exception of a white or black stripe. However that isn't always with older factory units. I usually suggest to people to buy the after market harness which labels everything for you but in your case that is not needed. So I did a google search and the closest I found was this info for a 1992:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070309225522AAE2p10

It might be close, if you have that exact combination of factory wires behind your dash I would assume this is a safe chart to use. If not, maybe google on.

I will be putting a new stereo in my 88 Fleetwood in the next month or so and will be getting the harness so if you are still stuch I can tell you what I find when I am done.

Ken

Brother_B
03-20-07, 08:29 PM
Well for what it's worth, there are some similarities to my manual for a '69. So maybe you can narrow it down between the two, but I would think the '92 info would be closer to yours. My '69 manual says:

Right Front + White / - Black
Left Front + Light Green / - Black
Right Rear + Dark Blue
Left Rear + Light Blue

There is no - wire shown for the rears, the - side is just shown going to ground. So at least light green seems to be for the front and dark and light blue seems to be for the rear!

Just got a FM modulator from Crutchfield that plugs in to the antenna socket. It has a switch on it that supposedly cuts off the regular antenna so there is no interference from nearby FM stations. I'll be trying to hook it up tomorrow! Then I have to figure out my own speaker wires.

kngofhrts88
03-21-07, 01:11 AM
Orange- 12 volt constant (Black Clip, 2 Wire)
Yellow- 12 volt switched ignition (there are 2 yellow wires and only one of them is the ignition)
Gray- Illumination wire (there are 2 gray wires dont get these mixed up!!)
Black- Ground (may be black/white) (Black Clip, 2 Wire)
Tan- Left front speaker positive
Gray(the other one)- Left front speaker negative
Light Green- Right front speaker positive
Dark Green- Right front speaker negative
Dark Brown- Left rear speaker positive (Blue Plug)
Yellow(the other one)- Left rear speaker negative (Blue Plug)
Dark Blue- Right rear speaker positive (Blue Plug)
Light Blue- Right rear speaker negative (Blue Plug)

This is the correct Wiring for an 88 Fleetwood. Thanks devilock76, never thought to check yahoo, but you were correct.

devilock76
03-21-07, 10:43 AM
Orange- 12 volt constant (Black Clip, 2 Wire)
Yellow- 12 volt switched ignition (there are 2 yellow wires and only one of them is the ignition)
Gray- Illumination wire (there are 2 gray wires dont get these mixed up!!)
Black- Ground (may be black/white) (Black Clip, 2 Wire)
Tan- Left front speaker positive
Gray(the other one)- Left front speaker negative
Light Green- Right front speaker positive
Dark Green- Right front speaker negative
Dark Brown- Left rear speaker positive (Blue Plug)
Yellow(the other one)- Left rear speaker negative (Blue Plug)
Dark Blue- Right rear speaker positive (Blue Plug)
Light Blue- Right rear speaker negative (Blue Plug)

This is the correct Wiring for an 88 Fleetwood. Thanks devilock76, never thought to check yahoo, but you were correct.

No problem, actually I got the Yahoo link through Google. I am the Google King most days. It is how I found this place and the performance cat for my fleetwood and, well you name it.

There are so many things out there, let me give you a tip on wiring if you have nothing to go on. Most cars you can easily tell the difference between power wires and speaker wires. Power wires figuring which is which will really involve tracing the wires. Speaker wires on the other hand you can just test, usually matched +- pairs will have something similar about them be it the stripe on newer cars or similar color shades. Trial and error is sometimes the way to go, after that you trace them. Sometimes you get lucky though and can just go to the speaker and see what colors are on there, that rarely works but sometimes...

My experience with the stereo industry is more of a removal background in my youth. Let us leave it at that.

Ken