: Hearses, ambulances, and limo's

Pckstude
03-14-07, 07:43 PM
Just checking to see who out there in Cadillac land owns, or have owned a Cadillac, hearse, ambulance, or limo.
This weekend I will be picking up a 1984 Cadillac collins hearse with 65k miles on it. It's in great shape and runs even after 7 years of sitting.

dkozloski
03-14-07, 08:25 PM
Just checking to see who out there in Cadillac land owns, or have owned a Cadillac, hearse, ambulance, or limo.
This weekend I will be picking up a 1984 Cadillac collins hearse with 65k miles on it. It's in great shape and runs even after 7 years of sitting.
I had a '39 LaSalle ambulance that a guy gave me. The biggest problem was that the front end was shot and it took a lot of work just to be able to get it down the road.

sonjaab
03-16-07, 02:15 AM
I had a 72 Fleetwood 75 formal limo from 90 to 96. It was a funeral
car then a limo service ride. When I bought it it had 38k miles.
It had the 472 engine. It was dark blue when I got it but I had it
painted white and used it as a limo for my wedding reception/
resturant/banquet hall operation as a "come on" to draw business.

It was a fun cruiser ! I traded it to a guy as a bonus for him when
I bought my motel operation from him.

I had to quit using it for my banquet operation as the "goverment"
was busting my balls and wanting me to license the car as a passenger
for hire ride instead of a regular passenger/private owner ride.
The special "omnibus" liability insurance was a KILLER at $3000 a year!

So it was a Sunday cruiser that mostly sat around...........
Then that motel deal came around.

Sadly the guy who got it let it sit and it rusted into the ground !!!!!!
It had just under 50k miles and he parted it out and the rest went to
the boneyard. Sad ending to a nice car!!!!!!!!!............geo

XP715
03-20-07, 12:31 PM
I have a 1974 Lincoln Continental Executive Limousine by Moloney Coachbuilders that my father's friend gave to me a few months back after being off the road since 1986. He wanted to crush it but I wouldn't let him. It's sitting out in my side yard under a cover waiting for its turn to be restored or sold or traded or something. I'd rather get through the restoration of my '67 Eldorado first, though. God only knows what'll happen to it next; all I know is I saved it from being a pedestal for a few 80's Town Cars at the local junkyard.

Benzilla
03-20-07, 06:52 PM
You guys are lucky, I've been thinking about getting a hearse for a long time, but I have no place to park one. You can't just have it sit out, think what it would do to property value!

Although it would be fun going through a drive through or one of those teenage car washes lol. I'd even buy a casket and maybe for the fun of it have a friend drive it around with me in the back - just as a preview. I know, I have warped mind, but I still wanna try it!

Pckstude
03-21-07, 08:43 PM
I have a 1974 Lincoln Continental Executive Limousine by Moloney Coachbuilders that my father's friend gave to me a few months back after being off the road since 1986. He wanted to crush it but I wouldn't let him. It's sitting out in my side yard under a cover waiting for its turn to be restored or sold or traded or something. I'd rather get through the restoration of my '67 Eldorado first, though. God only knows what'll happen to it next; all I know is I saved it from being a pedestal for a few 80's Town Cars at the local junkyard.

When u are ready to sell it post it in http://www.professionalcar.org/? The good folks there would like to know about it because they collect limo's. And don't forget to post pics of it. You will be hounded to do so, if u don't. lol

nmacarthur
07-12-07, 01:05 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a 1980 Cadillac hearse made by S&S. This will be my second pro car. This vehicle is in awesome condition. I will be assessing the mechanics and then making my plans to upgrade the performance.

hearseman85
08-10-08, 03:22 AM
ive owned 6 hearse so far

81 fleetwood superior
87 fleetwood superior- fwd
88 fleetwood superior- fwd
94 fleetwood krystal
92 fleetwood federal- lowrider
81 fleetwood superior- lowrider in progress

Aron9000
08-12-08, 01:04 AM
I want this hearse. Looks like a 1962, with suicide doors. I think the wheelbase might be stretched as well. It looks so massive and imposing:drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCERMRJVWZ4

Submariner409
08-17-08, 09:02 PM
1953 and 1956 grey on black Cadillac Hearse. Complete with casket and plastic skeleton. Best thing in the world to back into the space at the drive-in movie......:rolleyes: Duals and glasspacks.

Aron, that vid brings back lots of fun memories......been there, done that !!!

Anyone ever drive through the local Mickey D's or equivalent with Joe's arm, smeared with ketchup, hanging out of the trunk ?? Guaranteed to get you noticed in a hurry !!!

Junkman
06-06-10, 02:46 PM
For information and help with any professional car the best place to find this information is the Official Website of the Professional Car Society. The address is www.professionalcarsociety.org (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org) . This is where all the experts on these cars congregate. You won't find a better knowledge base on these vehicles anywhere else on the world wide web!! Registration is free... Membership is not a requirement, but appreciated. They put out a world class magazine called The Professional Car, which has received the Old Cars Weekly Golden Quill award for many years. :thumbsup: There is an on line membership application that is easy to use to join the Society and pay for your membership using PayPal.

YourMainParadox
08-06-10, 01:57 AM
74 Cadillac hearse here

The-Dullahan
08-21-10, 05:30 AM
And '87 Superior here.

The-Dullahan
08-21-10, 05:34 AM
Here is Paradox's, http://images.craigslist.org/3ma3p93ob5O35Q05S5a8c2620669980fb1140.jpg
I really wish I had better photos of this '74, but this is the best I can find anywhere.

And here is mine. http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Florida25068.jpg
I chose this crappy photo, mostly because it was already available and I really don't want to go through the trouble of finding out if I have any photos of my own, so I just stole one of Matt's.

The-Dullahan
08-21-10, 05:35 AM
Damn, that's a big snapshot.

Look Sting, your street made a cameo appearance though.

YourMainParadox
08-21-10, 09:29 AM
Remember mine is a 73 I found out :p

http://a.imageshack.us/img97/6926/1974caddysuperiorhearse.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img41/6926/1974caddysuperiorhearse.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img41/8383/image005evu.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img710/2303/image004ze.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img690/6926/1974caddysuperiorhearse.jpg

midnite kid
11-13-10, 09:34 PM
if you post,pictures are the way to go,love seeing photos of caddys

The-Dullahan
11-14-10, 12:15 AM
Paradox, I'm going to kill you. You kept telling me about how bad of shape your car was in and those photos show that it is clearly in better condition than mine will ever be in.

The-Dullahan
11-14-10, 12:16 AM
Also, that ****ing settles it. I am coming to Jacksonville.

Stingroo
11-14-10, 09:32 AM
I told you it was nice. I TOLD YOU.

And whoa, how did I not see this thread? Shit, that's my mailbox on page 1.

Creepy. :lol:

The-Dullahan
11-14-10, 11:21 PM
Apparently those photos are from before Paradox ever owned the car. I still refuse to believe that that glorious machine could ever look bad. My car on the other hand...Well, let's just say it's a good thing I've begun calling in favours and asking for connections.

The-Dullahan
11-14-10, 11:25 PM
Shit, that's my mailbox on page 1.

Your mailbox is unimportant. The true beauty of that photo is the dragonfly I caught on my way to Hobe Sound.

The-Dullahan
11-14-10, 11:27 PM
Remember mine is a 73 I found out :p

True, but look how old my post claiming it was a '74 is.

Also, at least my photo had a coffin in it. I win, no exceptions.

greencadillacmatt
11-15-10, 04:05 PM
Also, at least my photo had a coffin in it. I win, no exceptions.

A handmade, incredibly comfortable coffin. Ask me how I know. :D

The-Dullahan
11-15-10, 04:23 PM
Yes. I have had inquiries to build them for other people now. They will be mass produced and come in infant and child sizes as well as adult sizes of "Small," "Medium," "Large" and of course, "Matt."

greencadillacmatt
11-15-10, 04:25 PM
^Matt will be a popular size. :)

The-Dullahan
11-15-10, 09:17 PM
Actually, if I had the room, I would like to build an interactive coffin ride, like the one I saw at Screamfest. The concept wasn't really new, but people paid five dollars for THAT? I could make serious improvements on that and certainly make the claustrophobic situation more terrifying with random air blasts inside the coffin and various movements and "crawling" sensations. But where the hell would I keep such a thing, nonetheless transport it.

lovemycadillac
11-16-10, 04:23 PM
My 1988 Superior Cadillac Sovereign Brougham (dark red interior):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4835810232_53f6a357b0_b.jpg

DouglasJRizzo
11-17-10, 09:57 PM
I have two hearses. A white 1975 Superior 3 way electric and a black 1976 S&S Landau.

Aron9000
11-19-10, 01:31 AM
I've never understood white hearses myself. I mean black=death, there's just no other way to have a hearse unless its black IMO.

lovemycadillac
11-19-10, 08:58 AM
Yes, black is surely the most common traditional hearse color. There are many reasons for other colors, including tradition of a particular firm, or preferences in specific areas. Sometimes colors other than black were used to reflect heat in warmer climates. At one time it was common for children's hearses to be white, which is a symbol of purity among other things.

Stingroo
11-19-10, 10:58 AM
White hearses are extremely popular in the South as well. IMO, they look better - more formal, less grim.

Submariner409
11-19-10, 12:04 PM
George Barris - the original custom hearse builder - among hundred of other types. Google "barris custom cars". 50's, 60's, 70's were wild. Also look at artwork by Ed "Big Daddy" Roth.

Stingroo
11-19-10, 01:05 PM
Now that thing right there is BADASS. I would drive that.

drewsdeville
11-19-10, 01:30 PM
Sidepipes rock

Stingroo
11-19-10, 01:34 PM
Yes. Yes they do.

The-Dullahan
11-20-10, 12:15 AM
Oi Sting, that's Kargoyle. Love the colour, love the paintjob, love the car...and yet I would NEVER paint that car that colour or put that image on it. Black and green? Totally. That car has a habit of not starting, which is supposedley due to it being "haunted" and it also has a matching beer casket. Because What's a Hearse without alcohol? Sidepipes are fun (Would look ****ugly on my car) and they have this lovely method of burning you while exiting a car, all the more reason Pikies wear big boots, especially with their Hearses and alcohol.

As for white Hearses and Black Hearses "= Death" Black was also a common colour on Hearses, because for much of western society's history, black was a formal colour, whileas the shading beige and grey suits businessmen wear today wouldn't have been seen that way. Baptismal churches and funeral services in the south often use beige or brown Hearses (which were very popular in the late seventies) and Burgundy Hearses became popular in the south all the way through the eighties and into the nineties (Burgundy Roadmaster Hearse, Sting? Not too hard to find, I've seen more burgundy than white) but with the changing of times and places comes the changing of colour choices. Olive Green Cadillac Hearses are becoming and I recently nearly bought a green Flower Car. I have never been fond of white cars (Especially not 11th Gen Broughams) but I have seen some truly beautiful late-sixties-early-seventies Hearses in white. I have not seen a white Hearse in person in a long time, save for two that were built by The Orlando Ghostbusters, which were naturally going to be white. Red Hearses are always nice, a friend of mine painted hers red when she restored it, but that would draw unwanted attention and besides, owning a car in any colour besides black is utterly barbaric.

The-Dullahan
11-20-10, 12:15 AM
Oi Sting, that's Kargoyle. Love the colour, love the paintjob, love the car...and yet I would NEVER paint that car that colour or put that image on it. Black and green? Totally. That car has a habit of not starting, which is supposedley due to it being "haunted" and it also has a matching beer casket. Because What's a Hearse without alcohol? Sidepipes are fun (Would look ****ugly on my car) and they have this lovely method of burning you while exiting a car, all the more reason Pikies wear big boots, especially with their Hearses and alcohol.

As for white Hearses and Black Hearses "= Death" Black was also a common colour on Hearses, because for much of western society's history, black was a formal colour, whileas the shading beige and grey suits businessmen wear today wouldn't have been seen that way. Black is associated with Death in Western Society (Because The Morrigan is such a ****ing badass, praise her superiority to whatever God you believe in) but in the same colour, white was associated with her and especially with Magic, but somehow that never kept strong in culture through The Renaissance, aside from brief instances carried through folklore, like the ever-important Branwen, who was naturally a white Raven. Baptismal churches and funeral services in the south often use beige or brown Hearses (which were very popular in the late seventies) and Burgundy Hearses became popular in the south all the way through the eighties and into the nineties (Burgundy Roadmaster Hearse, Sting? Not too hard to find, I've seen more burgundy than white) but with the changing of times and places comes the changing of colour choices. Olive Green Cadillac Hearses are becoming and I recently nearly bought a green Flower Car. I have never been fond of white cars (Especially not 11th Gen Broughams) but I have seen some truly beautiful late-sixties-early-seventies Hearses in white. I have not seen a white Hearse in person in a long time, save for two that were built by The Orlando Ghostbusters, which were naturally going to be white. Red Hearses are always nice, a friend of mine painted hers red when she restored it, but that would draw unwanted attention and besides, owning a car in any colour besides black is utterly barbaric.

Aron9000
11-20-10, 12:17 AM
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: at the hotrod hearse.

I'm sure you can hear that thing coming from five miles down the road. Those sidepipes just LOOK loud.

DouglasJRizzo
11-20-10, 08:00 PM
The white one came from a large, inner city funeral home, and was part of a fleet of vehicles. It was reserved for children, according to the person I bought it from. It has but 16,000 original miles. From what I've been told by those who work in the funeral business, many funeral vehicles are anything BUT black, and quite a few funeral homes distinguish their "equipment", as it's referred to, from others but the color. Bright silver, light blue, and grey are popular for hearses, as is burgundy. White isn't as uncommon as one would think, however, even for adult funerals.