: Sun Roof

bigdog9586
03-14-07, 04:42 PM
I think I have a problem with the sunroof on my 07. With the sunshade all the way open if I push express open the roof opens all but about 2 inches. If I hit the button again it opens the rest of the way. Anyone else notice theirs doing this?

Cajonkev
03-14-07, 05:00 PM
It is working as designed.

It doesn't open full on the first button press to keep the wind noise and flow down to an acceptable level...

Onalaska
03-17-07, 10:15 PM
Mine does the same thing on the first button press. Does anyone know what the purpose of the plastic deflector is that pops up when you open the sunroof? I noticed that it increases the turbulance and noise level in the cabin considerably when it is up. If I reach up and pull it down by hand its a lot quieter and less air is deflected into the car.

Curious George
04-17-07, 06:11 PM
Mine does the same thing on the first button press. Does anyone know what the purpose of the plastic deflector is that pops up when you open the sunroof? I noticed that it increases the turbulance and noise level in the cabin considerably when it is up. If I reach up and pull it down by hand its a lot quieter and less air is deflected into the car.

So I'm not alone! What Cadillac inaccurately denotes a wind deflector is actually a turbulence inducer. It seems to do exactly the opposite of what it should. I've not observed this problem in previous sunroof-equipped cars. Cadillac should consult a competent aerodynamicist.

Benjamin Simon
04-17-07, 11:39 PM
I held the bar down and it make a deep roaring noise. Hard describe.
I like the bar.

cooncat
04-18-07, 08:00 AM
I had a 2001 Monte Carlo and the sunroof, even though it opened above the roof, didn't make the noise. I too noticed the huge buffeting noise myself. It's a shame because it is not very condusive to opening it. Someone in another posting, said to tap the switch again, the roof will open the rest of the way.

On a side note, one thing I loved about the Monte Carlo was, since it had large doors and when I had the windows opened, the wind would go behind me, but in a four door, the wind hits against me and I hate. I love driving with the windows opened on those rare cool Florida days.

z06bigbird
04-18-07, 05:09 PM
Exactly why Nascar switched.

Not.

Ed

Jesda
04-21-07, 09:39 AM
The deflector does effectively keep air from smacking rear passengers in the face. I dont know if this is true on the STS, but on my Q45 there's holes in the deflector bar to reduce wind noise.

cooncat
04-23-07, 02:32 PM
Hey Jesda,

Are you saying we should punch holes into the deflector to cut down on the noise? Mine is really loud.

How are you doing these days?

I hope to see you at the meet in July in Tampa.

Jesda
04-23-07, 04:09 PM
Hey Jesda,

Are you saying we should punch holes into the deflector to cut down on the noise? Mine is really loud.

How are you doing these days?

I hope to see you at the meet in July in Tampa.

I'm well! I hope to see you there!

I'm not sure how you'd cut it, but if you could, it would certainly help. A previous car I had with a sunroof was a Mazda 929, which had the same style of deflector as the STS. As effective as it was at keeping the wind out, it was terribly noisy.

Maximln
04-23-07, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure why the sunroof doesn't fully open but I know on my 98 STS, I had to have the glass roof replaced and before I replaced it, it would open all the way. After they replaced it, it would do the same thing, open almost all the way and then you had to push the button again for it to open the rest of the way. I took it back because I thought it was a problem but they printed something showing that that is how the roof is supposed to operate. Must be some sort of "updated" design.

Max