: Headers

YellowAmigo
03-14-07, 03:44 PM
Hello all I am new to this forum, but I figured that this would be a great place to get caddy info. What I am looking for is a set of headers for my 94 fleetwood. I want to be able to bolt up to the existing exhaust. I think headers off of a 94-96 Impala SS will work, but I want to be sure before I drop $400 on a set. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

XXL-VETE
03-14-07, 03:54 PM
Unless you are doing Heads and cam .. I don’t recommend headers for the LT1 .. there is little gain and often a loss of torque with headers on a stock motor .. If you have to have them; yes the Impala SS ones will fit. Edelbrock and Clear Image make the two best for this application ..

Kenny

YellowAmigo
03-14-07, 03:58 PM
Thanks man, I am doing a complete engine rebuild.. doing a 383 conversions... Plus I like the look of them...

ShadowLvr400
03-15-07, 11:08 AM
Simple, go to www.clearimageautomotive.com Though it looks like their site's down right now.

BCs71
03-15-07, 02:30 PM
Unless you are doing Heads and cam .. I donít recommend headers for the LT1 .. there is little gain and often a loss of torque with headers on a stock motor .. If you have to have them; yes the Impala SS ones will fit. Edelbrock and Clear Image make the two best for this application ..

Kenny

Gotta disagree with you on several points here, Kenny.

Edelbrock is well-known in the B/D body community to make about one of the worst choices for headers for the B/D cars. IIRC they basically took their Camaro LT1 headers and merketed them for a B-body with no physical changes. I believe they have one of the worst fit and finishes for headers for our cars. I think the only benefit of Edelbrock over other manufacturers is that they have a CARB certification in California... no one else can afford the cert.

As for headers on a stock car, I can't really agree with on that they will be bad. Whenever you open up the exhaust path on a vehicle you are likely to have gains in HP and economy. Clear Image Tri-Ys have been dyno tested in the past on a bone stock car (even stock exhaust system which we all know is restrictive) and gained a hair over 20 horsepower. Imagine the gains with a catback exhaust system and those headers! 30 or even 40 RWHP is not unimagineable...

As far as the old tale that headers and/or exhaust systems will cause someone to LOSE power, well I disagree. If anything the peak TQ values will be shifted -- so the stock 2400rpm peak TQ value of 330 lbs/ft may now be at 2800-3000rpm instead after headers. Car won't feel the same, but most likely TQ will be increased along with that 20HP gain! Just won't be occurring at same place in RPM band any longer. This just exacerbates how low and crappy the stock stall RPM value is towards performance in these cars.

That said, there aren't many choices for decent headers for the B/D bodies. Clear Image Automotive is a small company that makes great products custom made for these cars. So installation is direct bolt-in and materials are of the absolute best quality, plus the owner is an enthusiast of these cars so he CARES. The downside is that a small company must charge high prices to come out ahead since the B/D body is such a small performance market.

Others have found cheaper alternatives to headers for these cars, but that leads to QC issues, custom catback carving up and welding, coating/lack of issues, burning up of underhood items (like AC lines on passenger side), etc.
In the long run, after all bugs worked out and burned up items replaced, they spend nearly the same money as a Clear Image product and still had all teh hassle of damaged items and difficult installation.

I am a really cheap bastid, cheaper than about anyone you will meet, and I still decided it was best to just bite the bullet and get the expensive alternative. :eek: It hurts, but at least I sleep better at night.

ShadowLvr400
03-16-07, 12:52 AM
Clear Image also has some budget headers. Just as a note. They also have the turbo kit in the works.