: Let's just pretend Chrysler never happened.

Jesda
03-14-07, 12:13 PM
Chrysler Group. If there's any doubt that The End is Near for the Chrysler Group as we know it, an addendum to the agenda of the DaimlerChrysler AG's shareholder meeting on April 4 made it quite clear, as shareholders are putting on the table for a vote the idea of changing the name of the parent company from DaimlerChrysler AG back to its original name - Daimler-Benz AG - in preparation for the jettisoning of the Chrysler Group. Why? According to the shareholder proposal: "Maintaining a corporate name that evokes associations with the failure of the business combination with Chrysler is detrimental to the image of the corporation and its products. This is all the more true as unflattering nicknames such as Doting Daimler, Daimler-Crisis or even Crime-ler have long been in circulation. The disadvantages this entails for shareholders, customers and employees can only be borne at most for a short transition period until there is a proper separation from Chrysler. If a proper separation cannot be effected within one year, this would only serve to underscore the need to remove this affliction on the image from the corporation's name." Goodbye, farewell, so long, vaya con dios...

http://autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table

What better way to erase your mistakes than to change your identity?

CIWS
03-14-07, 01:14 PM
If they do vote to remove it back out of the name, that will definately not bode well for Chrysler.

90Brougham350
03-14-07, 02:47 PM
Gee, I didn't know the Chrysler name was such a stain that Daimler would axe it, I guess I was wrong.

dkozloski
03-14-07, 03:47 PM
Good riddance. What did Chrysler build that was worth spit besides the original hemi V8 and the 727 Torqueflite transmission?

Spyder
03-14-07, 06:47 PM
Every vehicle that any hemi or B/RB series engine or the 727 Torqueflite or the A833 came in!

Spyder
03-14-07, 06:48 PM
The 340 was pretty impressive too...

90Brougham350
03-14-07, 07:47 PM
Every vehicle that any hemi or B/RB series engine or the 727 Torqueflite or the A833 came in!

Provided gauges weren't falling into the drivers' laps on a hard acceleration, lol.

dkozloski
03-14-07, 07:59 PM
The machine shop I was working at in the late 1950's and early 1960's was kept in business repairing broken frames and suspensions in Chrysler products. The unit bodies were being made from stove pipe metal. The real low was hit with the "K" cars with the cardboard interiors. No cheaper crap was ever foisted off on the American public.

CVP33
03-14-07, 07:59 PM
I'll try not to rant, but this doesn't bode well at all for what's left of the American auto industry as a whole. So Chrysler's not doing well and Daimler decides to jetison the company. Now a third party begins to take over operations and the public grows concerned over the future prospects of Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and thier vehicles. Sales slowly decline and then, they're ultimately done.

Ford will be next with continuing losses in the billions (with a B) and growing customer concern and down they go. Ultimately GM is left in the uneviable position of the last lone hold out, domestic automaker. Does GM now realize a resurgance in sales going back to the days of old (50's, 60's)? Me thinks not.

You see perception is reality. If failed US Automakers like Chrysler, Ford, American Motors, et al are the norm, then one can only assume that GM is next. Thinks there's no presidence for this, no cause for alarm. Please answer the following questions:

Is your phone a Bell or a Sony?
Is your stereo a Phillips or an Onkyo?
Is your TV a Zenith/Magnavox or a Samsung?
Is your Microware Westinghouse/GE or Panasonic?

Balance sheets can be interpretted to paint a rosey picture where none exists. But nothing is more expensive to restore than consumer confidence.

dkozloski
03-14-07, 08:23 PM
The wild card in the mix is the overseas operations of both GM and Ford. It might be that the North American plants will disappear and the cars made elsewhere.

Spyder
03-14-07, 09:04 PM
Off subject again...sorry...but the gauges falling out due to acceleration would be purty dang cool, if you ask me! :) Hehe...

Jesda
03-15-07, 06:21 PM
I got my Onkyo for free. Freecycle rocks!

[unrelated babbling]

danbuc
03-15-07, 10:46 PM
Off subject again...sorry...but the gauges falling out due to acceleration would be purty dang cool, if you ask me! :) Hehe...

A buddy of mine had an Acura Integra GSR that wheel hopped so bad, his head unit fell out of his dash onto his lap.

wht2000
03-16-07, 06:05 AM
Good riddance. What did Chrysler build that was worth spit besides the original hemi V8 and the 727 Torqueflite transmission?

I don't know...my brother's '69 440 six-pack Road Runner was pretty impressive..

thebigjimsho
03-16-07, 09:53 AM
I'll try not to rant, but this doesn't bode well at all for what's left of the American auto industry as a whole. So Chrysler's not doing well and Daimler decides to jetison the company. Now a third party begins to take over operations and the public grows concerned over the future prospects of Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and thier vehicles. Sales slowly decline and then, they're ultimately done.

Ford will be next with continuing losses in the billions (with a B) and growing customer concern and down they go. Ultimately GM is left in the uneviable position of the last lone hold out, domestic automaker. Does GM now realize a resurgance in sales going back to the days of old (50's, 60's)? Me thinks not.

You see perception is reality. If failed US Automakers like Chrysler, Ford, American Motors, et al are the norm, then one can only assume that GM is next. Thinks there's no presidence for this, no cause for alarm. Please answer the following questions:

Balance sheets can be interpretted to paint a rosey picture where none exists. But nothing is more expensive to restore than consumer confidence.At least GM is turning a profit...

ShadowLvr400
03-16-07, 10:20 AM

Phone: LG
Stereo: Durabrand (Wal-Mart's electronics)
TV's: A Sharp, an aged Symphonic, and a Magnavox from a garage sale
Microwave: Another Sharp

I don't have particular brand loyalty with many things. I have a few anti-loyalties. No more Dell computers. I won't buy another FWD car. Michelob beer stinks. :P

As for Chrysler possibly being axed... I would consider it a loss. The 300C is a very nice vehicle, and while there is a bit of a checkered past with Chrysler, all companies have that. Cadillac? Let me just say... Catera, Cimarron. Ford? Pinto anyone? Chevrolet? Deisel trucks until they outsourced the motor. Killing the Camaro Nissan? Withholding the Skyline from the states. Honda? Element. Toyota? How many mpg does that Prius get again... All the brands have their ups and downs. Deal, don't kill.

70eldo
03-16-07, 11:10 AM

Don't want to pop your bubble, but Phillips is from Holland ;)

Night Wolf
03-16-07, 12:44 PM

Balance sheets can be interpretted to paint a rosey picture where none exists. But nothing is more expensive to restore than consumer confidence.

What good is owning an American brand when it is all made in China anyway?

I have an Onkyo TX-2500 MKII receiver, one of the bottom of the line stereo recievers in the late 70's..... the thing has such an amazing sound though. It is my 2nd vintage receiver next to my Sansui 9090DB..... I've had more over the years, but these are the two I've kept.

dkozloski
03-16-07, 02:36 PM
What good is owning an American brand when it is all made in China anyway?

I have an Onkyo TX-2500 MKII receiver, one of the bottom of the line stereo recievers in the late 70's..... the thing has such an amazing sound though. It is my 2nd vintage receiver next to my Sansui 9090DB..... I've had more over the years, but these are the two I've kept.
My stereo is a Marantz from pre-Sony days. It still works very well.