: Would you trade a NSX for a Mini?

GOTTSPD
03-14-07, 09:40 AM
Here's the scene...

I have a beautiful NSX. It's a great car in great condition. I love it. However, it stresses me out, but not for the usual car reasons... It stresses me out because I hate parking it (I worry over every ding and paint chip). I hate worrying about it continuously.

Some additional facts...

My DD is a CTS-V, which stinks in the infrequent bad weather and I won't take the NSX out in bad weather because its a NSX. Also, I don't take the NSX out very often because its a 2 seater, so my wife and daughter can't go with me.

That said, I love the NSX. I love how it sounds, how it looks, how I feel driving it. I like owning it. It's just the parking it in public that causes me stress and add to that, that I don't get to drive it all that often.

Thus, the consideration of a Mini Cooper S (maybe a JCW??).

The Mini is FWD, so it could become the winter car. Also, it's fun to drive, and can be a competent track car (clearly not as fast as the NSX, but that's okay). I can also take my wife and daughter in it.

FWIW, the V will not be a track car--2 weeks ago, I had somewhere close to $5K in mechanical repairs done to it and I don't even drive it hard... It's just too pricey and potentially prone to failure to risk tracking it (besides, the Mini would be more fun, even though slower).

Discuss.......

Jesda
03-14-07, 10:03 AM
Maybe if my testicles fell off.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-14-07, 10:05 AM
...what teh ****

Sandy
03-14-07, 10:16 AM
I think you have too much money, and need to start contributing to my "I MUST get the forthcoming new Imperial" FUND!

Seriously, now, do not even think of selling the NSX. You will regret it very very much. Learn to do, what I do. I have not gotten a door ding in 22 years. Anytime you are parking it, park far far far away. It takes a little common sense and a bit of experience, but in short order and keen eyesight, you will "see" spaces where you will not get hit.

An end spot, where the car next to you is on your left, is better than one where the one next to you is on your right ! (One on your right, ALWAYS has a driver, one on your left may NOT have a passenger).

Seek out the least desirable spot. At a mall, park in that spot you'd be happy to get on December 24th at 7:00 PM. At the supermarket, park far away, and if the terrain is down hill, park "high" to avoid run-away shopping carts from gaining speed and hitting you.

You'll miss the NSX, MORE than you'll fret a door ding or scratch. They can be fixed. Go to thesupermarket & buy a can of sardines. Better to eat them, than be one in a can. :) Good luck, and I do hope you make the best decession for you.

Now, about that Imperial Fund......:worship:

GOTTSPD
03-14-07, 10:28 AM
I do park way at the end, far, far away, but yesterday someone still bumped it and chipped the paint on the bumper (maliciously???). Each chip really bugs me and makes me want to lock it away safe and sound in the garage, but then I feel like why do I have this car sitting in the garage that I never drive...

Spyder
03-14-07, 11:23 AM
Keep the car man...you'll kick yourself daily if you get rid of it!

90Brougham350
03-14-07, 12:00 PM
Agreed. That NSX will only climb in value, and you'll kick yourself for years if you sell it.

Destroyer
03-14-07, 12:35 PM
I was the same way with my Porsche 928 and Mercedes, etc. To tell you the truth after owning cars like that I feel a bit relieved when I get rid of them. All the care I give them and then worrying about the next repair bill or if it gets a ding becomes a bit stressful. Cars like my Cadillac I dont stress over, I park it anywhere anytime (ironically it has no dents or dings) but the cars I do stress over and try to be extra careful with get dents and dings no matter what.

gothicaleigh
03-14-07, 01:25 PM
I love the Mini Cooper S (anyone who doesn't has never driven one, they're great fun).

But you can find Minis anywhere. The NSX is getting practically irreplaceable (especially if you have a good condition one). You will regret giving it up.

The good news is that Minis are also relatively cheap. Unless you can't afford it financially, have both and treat your NSX as a fair weather weekender.

keeksv
03-14-07, 01:48 PM
I do park way at the end, far, far away, but yesterday someone still bumped it and chipped the paint on the bumper (maliciously???). Each chip really bugs me and makes me want to lock it away safe and sound in the garage, but then I feel like why do I have this car sitting in the garage that I never drive...

I think you're feeling the pinch of not having a beater, unless you do have one and you didn't mention it. I was the same way about my Corvette when it was my only car. I also agree that people are somewhat malicious in the face of a car like your NSX. I think your real choice should be the NSX or the V, and then buy a beater or less expensive car as a second. My V isn't my daily driver.

Or buy a 4WD pickup and a trailer; take the NSX to the track more often; drive the V in most weather; and when the weather sucks, drive the truck. I think you'll enjoy the NSX most at the track. And be glad you have stuff like this to worry about:thumbsup:

Blackout
03-14-07, 02:55 PM
I traded my Murcielago in on my 1995 Taurus GL. Best thing I ever did in my life!!

xxpinballxx
03-14-07, 03:50 PM
I can't believe what I am hearing!!!!
If you can afford a NSX and a CTS-V then a MiniS car payment shouldn't be that big a deal!

xxpinballxx
03-14-07, 03:51 PM
I traded my Murcielago in on my 1995 Taurus GL. Best thing I ever did in my life!!

LOL! I hear ya.....
My maybach was way too expensive on gas so I got a festiva! REal nice condition...back windows roll all the way down and everything!

Blackout
03-14-07, 04:32 PM
LOL! I hear ya.....
My maybach was way too expensive on gas so I got a festiva! REal nice condition...back windows roll all the way down and everything!Rolling your windows!? Oh man did you get ripped off! I have power windows as well as a power drivers seat! Go ahead......be jealous.......everybody is

EcSTSatic
03-14-07, 04:37 PM
In the end it's all just stuff. Do what you need to get piece of mind.

I have a beater van I take to work whenever the weather gets threatening. If there's a chance of hail or whatever - I don't worry, my good car is in the garage at home. you can't do much more than you are doing for parking lot problems. If you can't live with it find an alternative.

AlBundy
03-14-07, 08:52 PM
In most cases a NSX isn't a car you want to go to Walmart in. Take it out on either no parking or valet days. At the track your almost always there to look out for it. I guess I need to drive a mini cooper per the previous poster but it's just too dam small for a big guy not to mention hilarious.

Rolex
03-14-07, 11:29 PM
Would I trade an NSX for a Mini? Not no...but hell no. Don't do it! :tisk:

HITMONEY
03-14-07, 11:37 PM
If you absolutely have to make this mistake, forget the Mini and go for the Subaru WRX STI.

LS1Mike
03-14-07, 11:38 PM
No PERIOD

Red_October_7000
03-15-07, 12:44 AM
Absolutely not!
Even though the NSX is a Honda (albeit badge-engineered for the American market segment), it's still a realy interesting and very, very fast car with a lot of value and fun potential. My thought on this matter is: if you can afford an NSX and CTS-V then you should probably be able to afford a $1,500 beater of some sort, preferably some sort of truck like a K-5 Blazer or an old six-pack pickup that used to belong to the phone company or something. Use it for "utility" stuff and for shit weather and whatever, and let me tell you; you can pretty much never have too many cars of differnt types seeing as you never know when one will be in the shop/wrecked/loaned to someone (best thing about a beater is you dont' care if it comes back with a scratch while I bet you can count on one hand all the people in the world you'd let drive your NSX). or whatever.

The Mini itself is a poor utility car and is basically more of the same of what you've got -weird/exotic cars (not that there's anything wrong with that says the man who owns a Corvette and an MR2 ;) ). Sure it's fun to drive but it's too small to be that useful and nobody will want to ride in it -you CAN take your daughter, but, having spent several years of my life climbing into the back of a tiny two-door, she won't want to come.

Bottom line: NSX > Mini

xxpinballxx
03-15-07, 11:03 AM
If you absolutely have to make this mistake, forget the Mini and go for the Subaru WRX STI.

HAHAHA! Love the post! "If you absolutely have to make this mistake" All serious like...points!