: I think the Bluetooth was well done, 2005 STS

Benjamin Simon
03-13-07, 10:41 PM
For the last year, I have read on the forum all of the problems with the Bluetooth connection. Poor sound, hard time connecting, cannot do anything while driving... ect...
Mine works great! Perhaps it is because of my phone. I have a Nokia 9300. http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300

It took me about 3 minutes to connect the phone the first time. Now it connects every time I get in. I have called a few people on it and no one knows they are on the car phone. After I tell them, they tell me I am coming in very clear.

From how people talked, I thought the phone did not work at all while driving! The only thing I cannot do is dial numbers and look up the address book on the nav screen. All I need to do is scroll in my phone address book or dial a number on my phone it is connects with the car. Even if I had the option of dialing on the screen, I would highly prefer to use my phone so I don't have to take my eyes off the road too much. It would be much faster with my phone.

Bottom line, it connects very easily, sounds great on both sides, and I can still call anyone I need to by using the phone. Maybe it is just my phone.
To say the least, I am very pleased.

Maximln
03-13-07, 11:04 PM
The only problem I have is that when someone calls, 90% of the time the radio doesn't mute so if I have the radio loud, I can't really hear the call. I usually disconnect from the bluetooth and then turn the radio off. Other than that, it works pretty good. It seems to respond pretty good now to my commands. I have learned how to speak properly (at least, according to the car!)!

Max

ascariSTS
03-13-07, 11:30 PM
The only problem I have is that when someone calls, 90% of the time the radio doesn't mute so if I have the radio loud, I can't really hear the call. I usually disconnect from the bluetooth and then turn the radio off. Other than that, it works pretty good. It seems to respond pretty good now to my commands. I have learned how to speak properly (at least, according to the car!)!

Max

I'm having this problem too... but I found out a quick and easy solution :)

If was playing CD and someone called, I press the "answer" button then the screen goes back to CD player screen ... I just press the "pause" button... music will stop while you can continue your call... when I end up my phone call, I "play" it again...

When in Radio, find a silent frequency : P ... or just switch to CD and press pause...

BarryH_GEG
03-14-07, 01:47 PM
I, like Benjamin, am pretty pleased with Bluetooth. It was a b***h getting the phone paired at first but eventually the car recognized the phone. It took about 7 shots and I have no idea what made the 7th shot work as I wasn't doing anything different in the six earlier attempts. The car pairs/unpairs seamlessly every time I get in and out and I've had no muting issues. I have an August build '07 and from reading other comments it sounds as if there were some changes made to both VR and BT in later built cars. In general, all Bluetooth sucks. It's a maturing technology and since it always involves two devices each device vendor automatically blames the other. Some auto BT implementations allow address book transfer and/or sync but if you read other brand discussion boards that additional functionality rarely works as designed.

jlmartin99
03-14-07, 06:54 PM
Greetings,

I have a 2005 STS V8 and Bluetooth has been excellent. I have Motorola Razor with Cingular network. Everything works so well when I come the site I wonder what all the complaints are about.

JLM

WillySTS
03-15-07, 12:40 AM
Greetings,

I have a 2005 STS V8 and Bluetooth has been excellent. I have Motorola Razor with Cingular network. Everything works so well when I come the site I wonder what all the complaints are about.

JLM

Mine, too! Both my wifes and my Razors are perfect, drivers one and two.

For those of you have problems, you should get the software update.

Document ID# 1889058
2005-2007 Cadillac STS

Subject:
Voice Recognition System Performs Poorly, Memory Seat Function Operation Complicated, Navigation Radio Screen Locks Up, Map DVD Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth #05-08-126-001A - (01/18/2007)

Models:
2005-2007 Cadillac STS

Built Prior to December, 2006

with Navigation Radio (RPO YQ4)

Condition (http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1889058&pubid=1640&evc=sm#ss1-1889058ss1-1889058)

Some customers may comment of any or all of the following conditions:

Poor performance of the voice recognition system.

The memory seat function operation is too complicated to set.

The navigation radio touch screen locks up.

The navigation radio displays "Disc Inserted is Not a Map DVD" even though a map DVD is installed.

A telephone number cannot be dialed via "Bluetooth". This occurs after the customer has added and/or deleted more than 50 inputs.

When using "Bluetooth", the outbound caller is very faint and cannot be heard well.

Cause (http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1889058&pubid=1640&evc=sm#ss2-1889058ss2-1889058)

These conditions may be caused by the navigation system software.

Correction (http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1889058&pubid=1640&evc=sm#ss3-1889058ss3-1889058)

Important: After the software updates are complete, the customer may notice that some functions have been moved to different screen locations. Some voice recognition commands that were used infrequently have been deleted. If a voice command is not recognized, the navigation radio will now prompt the user to speak the command up to three times.
Technicians are to perform a software update on the audio and navigation systems using the following procedure:
Important: If the navigation system software is the same or higher than version 0FC, the software update will not start and the navigation software update is not necessary. DO NOT insert disc 2 into the radio.
Voice Recognition Commands (http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1889058&pubid=1640&evc=sm#ss4-1889058ss4-1889058)

Please provide an updated list of the voice recognition commands that are currently available to your customers. Customers with a 2005 model year vehicle may not have had some of these commands available to them with their old navigation system software. Refer to the latest list that is a part of the Owner Manual Supplement on the Navigation System that is available in SI. Information about voice recognition is available in SI. Refer to Voice Recognition.

Parts Information (http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1889058&pubid=1640&evc=sm#ss5-1889058ss5-1889058)

Obtain a software upgrade disc set by contacting the GM Navigation Disc Center at 1-877-628-3472 per Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-012A (DVD Navigation Update Program, AVN Software Update Discs and Ordering Information). The center will require your BAC code, dealer code and shipping address. Advanced Vehicle Navigation (AVN) software discs are for the dealer to update the navigation radio software only. They DO NOT update or replace the navigation map disc that is supplied with the vehicle. Please order these parts only as needed. There is a limited supply of these discs available. Do not order these discs for stock. The AVN software update discs can be used to reprogram more than one vehicle. The first update disc for each part number is free. Subsequent copies of the same part number for the same dealer will cost $50.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1889058

thefred
03-15-07, 04:57 PM
Greetings,

JLM
Spend a day in my shoes, my friend. Today, I received three incoming calls, none of which were detected. And I made 4 outgoing calls. 2 connected, one rebooted my phone and one worked the way it is supposed to. I need to get the software upgrade and see if that will help.

bbernardon
03-23-07, 05:34 PM
This is a terrible system for me and my late model LG(2005 with updates and several trips to dealer), in fact it is worse after the updates. Recognizes very few voice commands properly, doesn't mute the radio about half the time, terrible sound quality on the receiving end (when I switch to the handset it is fine), have to manually program in the memory despite it already being in the phone, limited to 10 memories, etc... Not to mention how much of the screen for the various functions is not useable when driving. Utterly terrible execution, way worse than my GS Lexus, or my friends Acura (not even in the same league). I dump the lease in Dec and there is very little chance of getting another, too bad, I really wanted it to work. Glad to hear that someones works.

bbernardon
03-23-07, 05:38 PM
It does however, pair up easily.

Benjamin Simon
03-26-07, 02:28 AM
I think a major software update came out in mid January. I wonder if that would have helped your situation.

Cajonkev
03-26-07, 02:50 PM
The Jan. update did not help with the "Mute on incoming call" issue at least on mine. YMMV.