: Vinyl Roof

Cadillac Giovanni
03-13-07, 09:36 PM
Just wondering, has anyone here had their vinyl roof replaced professionally? I was wondering what it costs, and are upholstery businesses able to replicate the original factory job well?

The roof of my 89 isn't terribly bad, but it's at the point where I'm fighting a losing battle. I bought some roof dye from JC Whitney, and applied it with a spray gun, although, even after straining the dye, it developed dried chunks that stuck to the roof and obstructed the spray, causing uneven results. I have some small tears beginning to form, and the patch kit i bought sucked royally, and dried to a grayish color that stuck out terribly. It seems nothing I can do will preserve my roof, so I'm looking for other options...

Thanks in advance!

Benzilla
03-13-07, 09:45 PM
Lots of people have had their vinyl tops redone, the first that comes to mind is Dopestar, usually it comes out great. I've heard prices anywhere from $300 to $800 for quality jobs.

Cadillac Giovanni
03-13-07, 09:47 PM
I'm heavily considering it. My car is black, so every little flaw shows, and even the slightest layer of filth on it makes it look like junkyard fodder. I'd love to restore it to it's former glory.

Benzilla
03-13-07, 09:52 PM
Take the plunge, have it done you won't regret it. Just make sure you get a shop that knows what their doing and get the correct pattern.

Brother_B
03-13-07, 11:16 PM
I didnt have it done myself, but the guy I bought mine from did right before I bought it. It cost him $325. It looks just OK. I guess you would have to pay more for a quality job. I mean I think mine looks fine for what I want right now, but a far cry from original Cadillac quality.