: What does "Sigma-based" STS mean?

buzz
03-13-07, 07:35 PM
What does "Sigma-based" mean? I don't mean to sound uneducated; but, is the Sigma a car? Or, does it refer to the Six Sigma designation which means to strive for near perfection?

"Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving towards six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process -- from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service."

Caroutisine
03-13-07, 08:26 PM
I believe it just refers to a GM platform that the vehicle is made with. CTS and SRX are also "Sigma" based. It means the same thing as the Camaro and TransAm being made on an "F-Body" platform. At least that's the way I understand it.

evaccaro
03-13-07, 08:43 PM
Sigma (as in the greek letter) is the designation that GM gave the to the platform architecture that the CTS, SRX, and STS are based on. It defines thiings like basic suspension components, drivetrains, electrical systems, and the process and equipment used to manufacture the vehicle. Note that GM calls it an architecture rather than a platform because the dimensions of the vehicles that can be built are variable and not limited by things such as a floorpan, roof, etc.

After all of this, I have heard that GM is now dropping this naming convention in favor of a more marketing oriented designation like "Global Rear Drive Architecture". Go figure.

buzz
03-13-07, 10:55 PM
Oh shoot... and here I thought (wished) maybe it was based upon some effort to improve quality. Having fought with the marketing folks more than once (most of my career has been sales based working for or owning a number of sales related businesses), and they are the bane of the sales team! As I type this, I can think of several otherwise successful companies placed in a precarious position as a result of the marketing team.

"Go figure" is a good response.

chiefmjk
03-14-07, 01:31 PM
How's this sound. S = Sigma, T = Touring, S = Sedan.

c5 rv
03-14-07, 06:27 PM
I always thought it was Seville Touring Sedan. Just like it is Catera Touring Sedan (though Cadillac won't admit that anymore) and DeVille Touring Sedan.

I wonder if the coupe version of the CTS will be called the CTC.

dhemrick
03-14-07, 10:14 PM
Speaking of coupe versions of these cars, does anyone know if there are any plans for 2 door versions of the CTS or STS in the works? I think both of these cars (particularly the STS) would make absolutely stunning coupes. To me, a coupe STS would be a great replacement for the beautiful last generation Eldorado ETC.

Caroutisine
03-14-07, 11:10 PM
Doubt if Cadillac will do a 2 door version of the STS.

GM is set to stop production on on the Monte Carlo this fall.

Big coupes are just going away :wave:

Yes, the last generation Eldorado was an awesome looking car.

c5 rv
03-15-07, 06:41 AM
There is supposed to be a coupe version of the CTS unveiled at a fall auto show (Frankfurt?) to be sold in 2009. I'm looking forward to it. Coupes are coming back.

evaccaro
03-16-07, 07:53 PM
Oh shoot... and here I thought (wished) maybe it was based upon some effort to improve quality. ...

"Go figure" is a good response.

I wouldn't be all that discouraged as it relates to quality. GM and Cadillac have come a long way in the past 10 years. I took delivery of a 2007 STS 1SC with the Tuscany leather interior option and Navigation system in January. This is my 8th Cadillac since 1986 and 5th STS. I also had a 2004 CTS in between. Each one was better than the previous model. This particular vehicle was delivered defect-free. Fit and finish are the best GM has ever produced. I only have 2500 miles on it but if the CTS was any indication, I expect a lot of trouble free miles with this STS.

buzz
03-16-07, 10:07 PM
Good to hear something positive regarding their recent car purchase. I wish I could say the same for the Buick Lucerne CSX I took delivery on last July. I wanted the 4.6L and this Buick was almost $10k less than a similarly equipped DTS. Unfortunately, this car must have been built during the last few minutes on a Friday!

I did go to the Mpls auto show Thursday evening and had a chance to examine a few cars I might consider including the STS. (I thought I might get lucky and get a chance to "discuss" my Lucerne experience with someone from GM; but, to no avail.) The STS is a pretty nice car, although the CTS fits the budget a bit better. Unfortunately, the CTS just doesn't feel like a Cadillac when you sit in it. Of course, I have not driven a CTS, so it's not fair to judge just by first impression.

Right now, I am leaning towards the STS, with the DTS a close second. I am going to visit a couple of Cadillac stores on Saturday and see if there are any "good deals" available. I have a problem with an 8 month old Buick for a trade, so I'm sure I am going to "take it in the shorts". Now, if only GM would step up to the plate and buy back this Buick Lemon; er, Lucerne, my chances would be a lot better. Oh, they did offer me some free oil changes for all my grief! Wasn't that generous (sic) of them?

evaccaro
03-17-07, 09:03 AM
This is just my opinion. If I were buying a car right now, I'd buy the STS V6 Luxury Performance (1SC designation). I drove the CTS everyday for 3 years - It just doesn't feel like a Cadillac. It is a GREAT driving car with excellent handling and good performance when equipped with the Sport suspension (including large wheels/tires) and the 3.6L V6. However, this is the CTS' last year in its current form. The new car looks so much better and the interior appointments are a quantum leap beyond the current model. I would definitely wait for 2008 if I were buying a CTS and get the new 300HP V6.

buzz
03-17-07, 03:47 PM
I did find a few "new" 2006 STS & DTS models with various option packages, and there was one STS that looked like it might make a good fit. Right now, I am ready to contact the Minnesota Attorney General's office regarding my bad Buick. I am hoping if I take the case to arbritration, GM might see the light and agree to take back the Lucerne. Once I have that settled, I will be ready to make the next move; i.e., back to Cadillac.

evaccaro
03-18-07, 08:49 PM
I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I have heard of GM buying cars back but I couldn't comment on the circumstances. Most states have pretty effective lemon laws on the books. You have to work the system and make sure your case is well documented. In any event, it is possible.

If you are looking for a vehicle most like the previous generation Seville, then the DTS is the ticket as it is built on an updated version of the Seville FWD platform.

The STS being rear wheel drive is a very different animal. It is also a lot smaller on the inside than the DTS. Something to consider if you are used to having passengers in the rear taller than 5' 6".

Best of luck. We're pulling for you out here.

Caroutisine
03-19-07, 07:34 PM
If you are looking for a vehicle most like the previous generation Seville, then the DTS is the ticket as it is built on an updated version of the Seville FWD platform.

The STS being rear wheel drive is a very different animal.

I agree. Wish I would have waited one more year to compare the 2005 STS to the 2006 DTS. I like the look of the STS a little better, but my 2001 SLS had a much smoother ride and softer seats...if the DTS ride was closer to this (and I'm sure it is) I may have made another choice. Either way they are both nice Caddys, and my 2005 STS has been a solid car.

Today I would take a close look and drive both before making a purchase.

z06bigbird
03-22-07, 10:00 PM
How's this sound. S = Sigma, T = Touring, S = Sedan.

Works with newer STSs; Earlier STSs were Seville Touring Sedans.

Ed