: anyone do the stock wheel chrome exchange?

tonygxp
03-13-07, 07:05 PM
I am contemplating just exchanging my stock V6 wheels (base model style) for the chrome version through a website (Ebay power seller in LA). has anyone gone this route? how do they hold up over time? website says $500 plus shipping is that right? sound high/low?

also the grille.. how hard is it to modify to fit one of the stainless/billet ones? says "modification may be required".. btw how do you reattach the caddy emblem on one of those? thanks for any responses..Tony

57TBird
03-13-07, 07:29 PM
I had my Harley rear wheel chromed by one of those companies on ebay (but not the same one as in the SRX auctions). I had to retap some of the holes and grind some of the surface where the chrome got where it shouldn't to get the pulley to fit right, but it still looks great after 2 1/2 years. I would make sure they do a 3 step chrome process and either ask for references or research feedback on similar wheel auctions before you bid.

As for the grill. I had to put some rubber sleeves over one of the lines (AC or Power steering) where it was close to the grill bracket, and may be able to rub, but otherwise it went in nicely with hand tools. I used automotive trim glue (you can get it at any autoparts store) to put the emblem on the grill. (Picture of grill attached). Be very careful with the glue, as a very little bit goes a long way, and it is near impossible to remove once it dries.

57 TBird

P.S. - I have a set of 4 18" takeoffs that would be good candidates for the chromer or an upgrade from the 17"s; anyone in Atlanta who wants to pick them up can have all 4 for $100. I'll also throw in the stock tires with 40% of the tread left, lug nuts, and the center caps, just not the valve stems/tire pressure sensors (as I reused them). Email me at mcnameen@bellsouth.net if interested.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2103000-2103999/2103794_2.jpg

tonygxp
03-13-07, 08:15 PM
thanks for the advice..

jrose7004
03-13-07, 10:13 PM
Anyone have a link to any companies rhat do that?

caddycruiser
03-15-07, 03:04 PM
Anyone have a link to any companies rhat do that?

There's LOTS...just do a Google search for wheel chroming, chrome wheel exchange, etc. Several do business on Ebay, as well, as mentioned.