: 2006 STS headlights

Pulltotheright
03-12-07, 04:49 PM
This is not a solicitation. I own a company that installs warning lights and sirens in vehicles. I have been contacted by a funeral home to place warning lights in a 2006 STS. They plan to use this vehicle as a lead car for thier funeral processions. First, beautiful car, second, with the HID headlights, are you able to remove the headlight assemblies with out removing the front clip? How about the DRL/fog assemblies? I'm looking to add strobe tubes for forward and intersection warning. Are the reverse lights standard bulbs or are the HID also?

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

urbanski
03-12-07, 05:00 PM
moved from STS-V

Pulltotheright
03-12-07, 05:03 PM
Sorry thought I was in the right place

John

Davidstan
03-13-07, 05:11 PM
Funerals? Man, my ego just took a shot!

Cajonkev
03-13-07, 05:43 PM
Hopefully Ewill or one of the "self-servicers" can give you a hand.

Or even your local dealer Service Dept. if you ask nice (buy lunch!)...

Please let us know if you get the info!

STS2002
03-16-07, 09:35 AM
This is not a solicitation. I own a company that installs warning lights and sirens in vehicles. I have been contacted by a funeral home to place warning lights in a 2006 STS. They plan to use this vehicle as a lead car for thier funeral processions. First, beautiful car, second, with the HID headlights, are you able to remove the headlight assemblies with out removing the front clip? How about the DRL/fog assemblies? I'm looking to add strobe tubes for forward and intersection warning. Are the reverse lights standard bulbs or are the HID also?

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

You will need to remove the wheel well covers as well as the shield under the engine. Then you will have to remove the front bumber cover. They don't make it easy for us. :)

AZRANZ
03-16-07, 02:48 PM
I spoke with my local service department yesterday and they were kind enough to tell me how to do it! Today I will install the Xenon kit that has been sitting around for a couple of weeks. They said that the CTS and SRX require bumper removal but not the STS. Said that if I was mech inclined, it should take an hour or so. I will post when complete and let you know how it goes.

STS2002
03-16-07, 05:54 PM
I spoke with my local service department yesterday and they were kind enough to tell me how to do it! Today I will install the Xenon kit that has been sitting around for a couple of weeks. They said that the CTS and SRX require bumper removal but not the STS. Said that if I was mech inclined, it should take an hour or so. I will post when complete and let you know how it goes.

Curious....how do you do it without removing most of the bumper? I had to remove most of the bumper when I had my 05 STS to put in aftermarket HID.

AZRANZ
03-16-07, 08:28 PM
Well, I just finished! An hour or so turned into 2 hours. The first side took an hour and a half, but once I finished the right side, the left took 15 minutes to finish. I will explain as best as possible.
1. Remove decorative engine covers.
2. Remove push pins along top of grill and top sides of grill.
3. Remove push pins (3) on front inner fender wells.
4. Gently separate fender well from side of bumper so that you can get your arm through.
5. Using a 10mm socket with a long extension, loosen the first bolt that joins fender to bumber only until it separates a little.
6. Using a 10mm wrench, just ahead of the first bolt, is an odd looking nut. Loosen the nut about half way.
7. Next, gently push bumper cover forward and out from the fender and the bumper will be pretty loose.
8. Now you will be able to see all 3 nuts/bolts to remove the headlight assembly (10mm).
9. Gently toggle the headlight so that you can reach under and remove the wiring harness. Next, toggle the headlight out and your done.
10. Reverse the procedure to finish project.:thumbsup:

The Xenon's look fantastic! I used 6000k beams. I still can't believe that a $49,000.00 Cadillac does not come standard with HID...

big-tex
03-27-07, 10:07 AM
Hi, sounds like you have it down pat, so I have a few questions as I want to do the same with my 2006 STS.

1. What Xenon kit did you get and how much did it cost? What specs should I be looking for?
2. How exactly do you remove those push pins? I looked at them, and it appears to be a one way trip in.

Thanks!

AZRANZ
04-03-07, 03:04 PM
I bought the Mc Culloch Xenon 6000k conversion kit from "supervtec" on ebay. I have bought other kits from him as well. He has a phone number in his auction in case you need to call for technical issues. I paid $236.00 plus $5.00 for shipping. I have these same bulbs in the Silverado and they have lasted for almost three years with no issues what so ever.

As for the push pins, use a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry up the center of the pin. You can either pull it all the way out or pull it part way and the whole pin will be removable. Hope that helps...

AZRANZ
04-03-07, 03:07 PM
Also, beware of the less expensive kits for sale. They are junk and will not last. The ballasts are poorly made. Mc Culloch has a reputation.

dan1166
04-04-07, 08:38 AM
I looked up supertec on ebay. They also sell 8000K and 10,000K kits.

Why did you install a 6000K? Is this what is on the V-8 models? I am interested in this installation, but I do not know what power to buy. Also, do you know what part number is used on the STS. This would be helpful to know before I remove the bulb and try to match it up. Or does supertec know what to use on a STS? Can you help?

Dan, the STS man

big-tex
04-04-07, 05:07 PM
I probably would go for the 6000K myself because I like the white look rather than the bluish tint to be honest.

Where did you mount the ballast and how?

AZRANZ
04-09-07, 12:33 PM
I went with the 6000k because I do not want to get pulled over and harrased by the Police. Stock HID's are 4700-5200k. I like the pure white look of the 6000's. The stock kelvin is a bit too yellowish for me. The bulbs to get are H11. The ballasts come with double sided 3m tape and I mounted them behind the headlamp assembly up in this small area in the fender. I could not find another area that had a lot of metal. The front end has a lot of plastic parts! The ballasts get very warm and you do not want to mount them on or near any plastic. I looked the front end over really good for the oem location area but did not see a thing.

Bikedude
11-23-07, 11:49 AM
Hey AZRANZ, wanna install a set in my 05 V8? Where are u located, I'll come over.

AZRANZ
11-24-07, 01:24 PM
Hey AZRANZ, wanna install a set in my 05 V8? Where are u located, I'll come over.

I live in Gilbert, AZ. Near Phoenix.

As for your questions in the PM you sent me, which I can't reply to for another 14 posts, dumb, the lights work great! No warning lights or anything like that. The beam pattern is perfect and the auto on works like it is supposed to. If you install them yourself, just make sure that at the first time you ignight them that you let them "burn in" for 15 minutes. Whether one at a time of both at the same time. I did them one at a time to make sure that the connections were proper before re-assembly. Oh, and yes they do look like the DTS's but a little more blue/white.

Bikedude
11-24-07, 05:55 PM
OK thanks alot AZRANZ, I should have figured AZ. from your handle. I'm in Cleveland, Oh. so i don't think I'll be driving over any time sone. I have a cousin somewhere up off Bell St. in N. Phoenix, and I have an Aunt and another cousin in Sedona. They run the water co. in Sedona. I think it's called Lance Enterprises. Anyway, I'm stoked about these 6000K McCollouh's. The install doesnt look too bad. I think I'll buy 2 sets, one set for the wife's 06 STS AWD V6, and suprise her. Thanks again man, youv'e been very helpful. And yes I'm in total agreement with you that a 50K Car should come standard with HID's.