: No reverse ????? 93 STS

1focus4real
03-11-07, 06:07 AM
93 STS.

When I shift into reverse, it acts like it's in neutral.

Could it be anything other than tranny overhaul needed? Like a sensor? or tranny fluid swap?

dkozloski
03-11-07, 01:22 PM
93 STS.

When I shift into reverse, it acts like it's in neutral.

Could it be anything other than tranny overhaul needed? Like a sensor? or tranny fluid swap?
If you try swapping fluids with a tranny you might pick up a nasty disease.

1focus4real
03-11-07, 06:21 PM
Dziękuję, I meant like a tranny fluid drain and refill.

Mountie
03-12-07, 02:40 AM
I don't think changing fluid will give you your reverse back. Talk to a real tranny guy that knows T80's. He should have an answer in about 30 seconds.

Loosing reverse is a specifc problem. Smell the fluid, and pray it isn't burned.

I have good tranny guys here in California, but I don't know where you are.

pos2nat
03-12-07, 09:15 PM
I lost reverse on my '93 when I ran low on tranny fluid. I had gone truck crazy and stopped driving my car for about 2 months. When I started it up there was a puddle of tranny fluid - leaks around the pan seal. I put her in reverse and she would not move. When I checked the fluid, it was low. Tightened up the pan bolts, added fluid, never had any issues after. I recommend a good drain and refill.

Mountie
03-12-07, 09:53 PM
I lost reverse on my '93 when I ran low on tranny fluid. I had gone truck crazy and stopped driving my car for about 2 months. When I started it up there was a puddle of tranny fluid - leaks around the pan seal. I put her in reverse and she would not move. When I checked the fluid, it was low. Tightened up the pan bolts, added fluid, never had any issues after. I recommend a good drain and refill.

Loosing that much tranny fluid would leave quite a bit of puddles on the driveway........ I can only assume '1focus4real' couldn't have that kind of problem & just let it pour out ..... but......

1focus4real
03-13-07, 02:43 AM
Thanks allot for the input.

Actually I just got the car at an auction, and I assume it's been sitting for a while.

I'm gonna drain and refill, see what happens and check for leaks.

I'll post the outcome, thanks again for the input.

1focus4real
03-13-07, 03:07 AM
Also, one thing I didn't mention because I was trying be specific about this problem is that the Power Steering is out. Could that be related in any way?

I have these trouble codes coming up in the on-board diagnostics:

P 052 History
P 095 History
P 109 History
P 110 History

A 011 Current

S 016 History
S 044 History

I tried to checkout what they mean on this site but couldn't make significant sense of it:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

1focus4real
03-13-07, 08:11 PM
I took it into the shop to get a tranny drain and refill and they told me that it had too much tranny fluid in it. So they sucked some out to the normal level.

Could that still be a fluid problem? or is it mechanical for sure?

Also, I've been trying to read up on what those codes mean but haven't had too much luck. Does anyone know what those codes actually mean?

Mountie
03-14-07, 10:52 AM
I took it into the shop to get a tranny drain and refill and they told me that it had too much tranny fluid in it. So they sucked some out to the normal level.

Could that still be a fluid problem? or is it mechanical for sure?

Also, I've been trying to read up on what those codes mean but haven't had too much luck. Does anyone know what those codes actually mean?

I used to help out at a performance tranny shop.....

Too much fluid can show an increase in pressure - problem -....... If you didn't over-fill it before they checked it.....

A good sign is if it doesn't smell burned.

dkozloski
03-14-07, 11:24 AM
Somebody dumped extra fluid in it trying to get the car to move after the transmission took a dump. Happy transmission hunting.

1focus4real
03-14-07, 06:44 PM
Since I got the car, I didn't fill it at all.

So you mean that it could've been not over filled, but just had really high pressure?

dkozloski
03-14-07, 07:52 PM
Since I got the car, I didn't fill it at all.

So you mean that it could've been not over filled, but just had really high pressure?
I'm saying that the owner ahead of you dinked with the car because the transmission took a dump and probably overfilled it trying for a cheap fix before unloading it. That's why the car was in the auction.

1focus4real
03-14-07, 08:22 PM
Well, what happened, happened. I'm sure there's allot more to the history of this vehicle. It was a Dealer's Auction, this car was probably a trade in.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is now and attempt to fix it.

What would you do?

Anyone?

AlBundy
03-14-07, 08:23 PM
The Great & Powerful dkozloski is never/hardly ever wrong. Heed his advice.

dkozloski
03-14-07, 09:34 PM
Well, what happened, happened. I'm sure there's allot more to the history of this vehicle. It was a Dealer's Auction, this car was probably a trade in.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is now and attempt to fix it.

What would you do?

Anyone?
It depends on your skill level and courage. If it were mine I'd do an autopsy on the transmission or I'd at least pull the pan and see what falls out. Depending on the damage indicated and the condition of the rest of the car I'd repair the transmission, get a transplant donor from the junkyard, or a rebuilt exchange.

Mountie
03-14-07, 09:49 PM
This may seem silly, but couldn't you ( push?) the car to a tranny shop or bring one of those Snap-on computer - chip thingy - readers to your car & assess the problem?

1focus4real
03-15-07, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't need to push the car at all, all of the forward gears work great, just reverse is out.

Could it be a sensor or something electrical since this tranny engages into gears via computer?

It's got a few trouble codes, I posted them earlier.

dkozloski
03-15-07, 02:38 PM
Why don't you drive it to a reputable transmission shop and get an expert diagnosis?

1focus4real
03-15-07, 04:23 PM
Reputable transmission shop? Do those actually exist? I thought they were a myth.

I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

dkozloski
03-15-07, 05:40 PM
Reputable transmission shop? Do those actually exist? I thought they were a myth.

Do the same as you would do choosing a doctor or a lawyer. Ask your friends who they would trust. There are good shops everywhere. If you go looking for Cheap Charley with a dirt floor shop your chances are not too good. It's not wise to go looking for the lowest bidder in brain surgeons, parachutes, and transmission shops.

Mountie
03-15-07, 08:09 PM

Talk to a hot rod guy or a hot rod shop....... they know good tranny guys. Some of these tranny guys know late model stuff, or they personally know of someone.

My Cadillac service mechanic ONLY services Northstar powered Caddys... He has experience, knowing the correct fixes.

I suggest to personally talk to your local Cadillac service mechanic...by walking into the repair garage and just ask. They can help, or suggest someone.....

That's how I was introduced to Alan Johnson, the Northstar performance builder & fabricator.