: VW Phaeton refuses to disappear.

Jesda
03-11-07, 01:57 AM
In a surprise announcement, Volkswagen’s hard luck Phaeton appears set to return to America for a second act.

An updated version of the ultra-luxury sedan with the proletariat badge was introduced earlier this week at the Geneva Motor Show, but at the time, even we didn’t know that Volkswagen was planning to reintroduce the slow-selling saloon to our shores. The revelation was made public by VW spokesman Andreas Meurer during a recent conversation with Bloomberg News.

Now that we know that the Phaeton will be reborn in the U.S., it’s probably worth taking a second look at Volkswagen’s most expensive (and technologically gifted) product.

For 2008, the Phaeton receives a revised visage, including new headlamps, but the majority of its changes are under the skin. Europe will now get the option of a new V-6 TDI that generates 230 horsepower, and will maintain its trio of gasoline engines (V-6, V-8, W-12), but we’d be surprised to see anything other than the two higher-end gas powerplants return for the Phaeton’s Stateside encore.

(Click through to the jump for more details, plus VW’s official press release additional images, and the link!)

Inside, new features like a revamped adaptive cruise control, “Side Assist lane change assistant,” and a (much-needed) new DVD-based navigation system are a few of the highlights.

To be fair, the Phaeton was never a bad car—in fact, it was a decidedly capable and stealthy cruiser. But given that the VW Group already has a range of similar-looking vehicles wearing a more prestigious label (read: Audi), it surprised few industry wags that the model quickly fell on hard times in America, only to lead to the car’s withdrawal prematurely.

So, what does VW have to do to turn around the Phaeton’s fortunes? Several things. For one, it has to make amends for its poor reliability and customer satisfaction scores if it ever hopes of being considered as a premium marque. Secondly, VW will have to do a better job of supporting the model by creating higher-profile advertising, and training dealership staff on how to keep high-end customers happy before, during, and after the sale.

A tall order, then.

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/08-vw-phaeton002.jpg

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/08-vw-phaeton005.jpg

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/08-vw-phaeton001.jpg

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/08-vw-phaeton008.jpg

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/08-vw-phaeton009.jpg

People with Audi money don't go to VW dealers. People who go to VW dealers don't have Audi money. What, then, is the point of this otherwise stunning car?

It also suffers from being overweight and having an electrical system that likes to suddenly reboot itself at random.

Still, I can't wait to buy one used. The depreciation is delightfully awful.

Sandy
03-11-07, 12:35 PM
I would have to disagree with the notion that the car had "Gone Away" here in the states. There are still a few unsold 2006(s) in dealer's hands. If this forthcoming car is a 2007, then no beat has been missed.

I have always liked this car, since day 1. I would NOT spend that kinda $$ for a car, when there are many other cars costing 1/2 that price that I like. But before I'd buy it, I'd buy the Audi A8, fully loaded. The depreciation is alot less, plus, it's much easier to sell.

Most of the people who buy these very expensive cars LEASE them thru their company as a "Corporate Car" and that enables them to even deduct the lease cost from the companies income tax. They are NOT "Car People" per se. They are looking for tax loopholes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-07, 01:09 PM
I love the Phaeton, so much class and elegance, one of the greatest interiors in any modern luxury car, yet if i remember correctly, it was a value when compared against the A8L, 750i and S Class.

jrose7004
03-11-07, 03:23 PM
In person it's a very impressive car.

RunningOnEMT
03-11-07, 03:31 PM
overgrown PASSAT

i've driven a friend's parent's phaeton... i mean its nice and all but i'm not paying 90k for a VW...

Cadillacboy
03-11-07, 05:51 PM
Image is everything ....Sadly, Phaeton seems a bit underrated due to its makers.I think if luxury car manufacturer's emblem replaced VW's that car would get more attention .

RunningOnEMT
03-11-07, 06:06 PM
originally it was designed to be an entry level bentley...

VAG decided that it needed a flagship for the "people's brand" and made it a VW

parexa
03-11-07, 07:30 PM
a bit overgrown passat

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-07, 07:34 PM
Was the Phaeton to the A8 what the Park Avenue Ultra was to the DeVille?

Caddy Man
03-11-07, 11:05 PM
LOWER THE PRICE VW!!!! If this car...the exact way it was happened to be priced around 50k, then I think it might have been able to sell better. But 80k for a VW???? While at the same time the A8 which underneath is the same car as the VW cost exactly the same? It's a no brainer what I would pick. Sure, some people like a low attention type marque, but not enough to sustain a specific model of vehicle.

RunningOnEMT
03-11-07, 11:12 PM
the A8 is not the same as the phaeton i don't believe

Sandy
03-11-07, 11:36 PM
It's nearly identical !! Same seats, identical options, same W12 engine, same 2+2 optional seating, same same same, onlt rarer (if THAT'S possible!)

RunningOnEMT
03-11-07, 11:40 PM
It's nearly identical !! Same seats, identical options, same W12 engine, same 2+2 optional seating, same same same, onlt rarer (if THAT'S possible!)

i actually think its longer than even the A8L... at least its got more footroom in the back

70eldo
03-12-07, 06:14 AM
I drove a V6 and I loved it! For a VW it is plain stunning.
The A8 is a lot more expensive than the Phaeton. Compare the same engine and interior packages and you will see.

On the other hand, I am glad CTS will be introduced in Europe with a 250 hp V6 turbo diesel :) and hope it will also conquor the US

Jesda
03-12-07, 07:39 AM
I only wish (and I'm REALLY nitpicking here) that the front overhang was shorter. Its what really makes it look like a Passat.

70eldo
03-13-07, 12:46 PM
All the VW and Audi models look alike...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
03-13-07, 02:08 PM
I saw the Phaeton they sold in the UK.
It was on the back of a recovery truck just outside our office near Tower Bridge in London.

If I'd paid prestige money for a non prestige brand car and it still broke down I'd be pissed.

Sandy
03-14-07, 08:38 AM
But wait...
Think about this....

You can buy an Audi A4, lightly equipped, for around $30,000, but an A8L with all options can run well over $100,000

You can buy a Mercedes C-class, lightly equipped for around $30,000, but
a S-600 AMG will run you $146,000 with all options

You can buy a BMW 325, lightly equipped for about $ 32,000, but a 765i is over $ 140,000.

Cadillac? You can buy a base CTS, for $36,000. XLR-V ? $90,000 !

Jaguar? S-type VS XK-R Convertible ?

So.....

Why can't Volkswagon have a Beetle Coupe at $26,000 and a Phaeton W-12 2+2 at $ 112,000 ??

Actually right now, the only car company that does NOT have a Luxury Car is Chrysler. A fully loaded 300C with all factory options, can be had for UNDER $40,000 !!

70eldo
03-16-07, 11:22 AM
VW has the Passat for that range. The Eos is a coupe convertible. And there is still the Jetta...

Yeah, in that 300c you can feel the cheap inside.

ShadowLvr400
03-16-07, 11:41 AM
I didn't think the Phaeton was that bad looking. I'm not interested in it due to the pricetag, but not specifically because its VW. I'm also not interested in most of the new cars.

Night Wolf
03-16-07, 01:47 PM
I like it alot....

actually I kinda like VW in general....

Koooop
03-16-07, 02:54 PM
NO CHANCE IN HELL I'M DRIVING AROUND A LUXURY CAR WITH A GIANT VW TAG ON THE TRUNK.

Nope, ain't gonna happen. Ever. Never. Not in my life time.

Sorry,

Bob the Snob.

Jesda
03-16-07, 06:09 PM
I like it alot....

actually I kinda like VW in general....

Time to unpimp ze Amigo.