: custom made exhaust

tontonic
03-10-07, 07:48 PM
Guys, since I've just bought the srx, I started to think about adding some bolt ons. After looking up on the internet, I gotta tell you there's not much parts to do to the GM v8. I am thinking about do some air intake system using cone type filter (I've done that before w/my stang), the one they sell is too expensive, crawled underneath the car, I saw three converters !!! with exhaust pipes such a small dia.( stuffy nose anyone?) I think the srx needs at least 2.5" dia.pipe with two (2) high flow cats. maybe I'd have the exhaust shop make me an "x" or "h" pipe with dynomax muffler so it wouldn;t get to loud.. what do you guys think? Has anybody done this kind of set up?? How bout the timing?? I have to take a look what kind of distributor this car has, if it's distributor less or not.. more homework..to do..

robhersch
03-11-07, 06:39 PM
I would suggest that you do serious research on "thinking that your SRX needs at least 2.5" dia pipe...and...having the 'exhaust shop' make you "x" or "h"..." for what could be a very expensive performance degrader; some threads on the SRX and the CTS forums over the last year have discussed this in detail and some folks have even found that increasing their exhaust dia or changing the length of their exhaust actually REDUCES performance.
Try one of the performance or header folks who have qualified experience with your engine.
Don't forget that today's 4.6 L (~ 280 cu in) has fewer cu in than either the famous Chev 283s and Ford 289s.
Also, believe the timing etc on most modern engines no longer have "distributors with high voltage to s-plugs", but are instead controlled by a 12V 'computer or xxx module' with multi-coils for s-plugs. The CTS forum also has some threads on "performance chips"; and don't forget that many states PROHIBIT "diddling" that impacts your ability to legally drive on the roads. Good luck, hope you find what you wish for !!

TSS
03-12-07, 08:23 AM
I would suggest that you do serious research on "thinking that your SRX needs at least 2.5" dia pipe...and...having the 'exhaust shop' make you "x" or "h"..." for what could be a very expensive performance degrader;

Agree. It is a very common MISPERCEPTION that a larger diameter increases performance. To the contrary, proper backflow restriction is essential to performance.