: want RWD N*

Caddy_Daddy472
03-22-04, 02:49 PM
im planning on putting a N* into a chevy LUV. i need to know what i need to do to convert this motor to a RWD setup. what tranny i need. are there headers and performance parts available for these motors? ive only dealt with the caddy big blocks, never anything like this. any info will help. you can email me at CaddyDaddy472@hotmail.com. thanks alot!

capn
03-22-04, 08:35 PM
go to www.chrfab.com (http://www.chrfab.com) they have modified bellhousings trannys and many other things to convert a N* to RWD. just give them a ring or drop them a line im sure they can answer all your questions

Pimpin_Whity
03-22-04, 09:18 PM
i'm not sure, but i think u can use an xlr tranny. probably very expensive though. it is alot easier to create different tranny mounts then to fit one on an engine it wasn't meant for.

BeelzeBob
03-22-04, 09:25 PM
i'm not sure, but i think u can use an xlr tranny. probably very expensive though. it is alot easier to create different tranny mounts then to fit one on an engine it wasn't meant for.

This won't work for several reasons.....the XLR has the transmission in the rear of the car like a C5/C6 Corvette. The engine is connected to the transmission with a long torque tube that turns at engine speed like the Corvette. Nothing is impossible...but the only way to put an XLR transmission into an S truck would be to put the entire XLR drivetrain in the truck..... The XLR trans is electronically controlled and getting it to work out of an XLR as a "stand-a-lone" trans would be extremely difficult. An XLR trans in a crate would be very $$$$$ An XLR trans and the torque tube and bellhousing and such would not bolt to a FWD Northstar....you would need the RWD Northstar from the XLR to go with it... By then, you would have an XLR and all thoughts of swapping the drivetrain would be forgotten....LOL

Actually, for a project like this it is very easy to bolt up a RWD 200-4R trans from an S truck to the FWD Northstar block. CHRFAB has ALL the info on this and ALL the parts you need.

elwesso
03-23-04, 09:57 AM
Bbob... IYO, how hard would it be to convert a FWD northstar platform (IE 92+ STS) to RWD.. Could it be as simple as getting a tranny,and flipping the northstar aorund (obviously without custom fabs)...

BeelzeBob
03-23-04, 02:33 PM
Bbob... IYO, how hard would it be to convert a FWD northstar platform (IE 92+ STS) to RWD.. Could it be as simple as getting a tranny,and flipping the northstar aorund (obviously without custom fabs)...

No such thing as a 92 Northstar. Northstars first were in 93 production cars.

Yes, it can be as simple as that. A V6 2004R I believe bolts to the rear of the FWD Northstar engine as the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same except for one bolt...and that one can be fabbed to fit. The dowel locations on the bellhousing are the exact same for the 2004R. Other than that it is simple plumbing and such. Mounts are obviously going to have to be custom fabbed for the application. Usually the biggest problem in a swap or installation like this is the fact that the FWD Northstar has all the cooling hardware and passages and the water pump on the rear of the engine. At the least this means some long hoses and piping forward to the radiator. In some cases this causes inteference in the firewall area as the water crossover casting projects well over the trans bellhousing. In the transverse FWD applications this is very space efficient as there is nothing else over the trans bellhousing but in a rear wheel drive application the firewall is usually well forward over the trans bellhousing. No swap like this is "simple" or "as easy as that..." but it is certainly doable. If you haven't looked at the CHRFAB website do so, there are pictures of many project cars like this.

elwesso
03-23-04, 06:54 PM
My bad, I meant to type 93..

So basically what your saying is its possible. What rearend could you use, and I assume a custom driveshaft would have to be used....

Would the RWD system not work well on the FWD type chassis???

Pimpin_Whity
03-23-04, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=bbobynski]This won't work for several reasons.....the XLR has the transmission in the rear of the car like a C5/C6 Corvette.QUOTE]

oh, i kinda forgot about that :rolleyes2, sorry

capn
03-23-04, 11:02 PM
what do you mean transmission in the back? like the transmission itself is behind the driveaxles? or what....im confused back to rides

elwesso
03-23-04, 11:06 PM
In most cars, the tranny is bolted right to the flyweel (or flexplate) of the engine.. And the driveshaft goes to the final drive and drives the wheels

In this case, there is a "driveshaft" bolted to the flywheel, and it drives the tranny, which is over the rear wheels (where the differential is).. This is to better the weight distribution.....

joeveto
03-23-04, 11:15 PM
Hey CaddyDaddy, I'm going to add my $.02 and offend you. So sorry in advance.

There is a Chevy Luv still in existence? And you want to do what with it? Beyond the $$$ issues, and the technical issues, I have to ask....And again, I'm sorry in advance. But WHY?:hmm:

Are you serious? Or are you just messing with us?

Oh, okay! BwaaahahahahAhhhahahahahah.

That was funny. Good one. You got me. Sheeeeewooo. For a moment, there, I thought you were actually serious. But deep down inside, I knew the last Chevy Luv left this Earth twenty some years ago, so putting a Northstar in one, despite all the other issues, would be impossible.

BeelzeBob
03-23-04, 11:47 PM
My bad, I meant to type 93..

So basically what your saying is its possible. What rearend could you use, and I assume a custom driveshaft would have to be used....

Would the RWD system not work well on the FWD type chassis???

It would depend on what car you were putting the Northstar into....most anytype of rear end or differential could be used....just time and $$$$ to fab up the mounts and driveshaft, etc... You can have driveshafts, yokes, u-joints, etc. fabbed to mate just about anthing together. Yes, there is going to be a LOT of custom in a swap like this. Bring $$$$.

I don't know what you mean about "the RWD system not working well on the FWD type of chassis...???" The Northstar engines prior to the 04 XLR were all mounted transversely in the chassis with front wheel drive transaxles being used. If you wanted to swap the engine into another car you could turn the engine 90 degrees and bolt a rear wheel drive trans to it....at that point you aren't using the FWD components anymore. I assume the swap being discussed was not to take a TFWD car and turn it into a RWD car...???

Caddy_Daddy472
04-19-04, 06:41 PM
you think im joking? not quite. light, small, powerful V8 in a light and small truck could only equal fast. maybe not lightning speed, but it will beat the pants off of the 350ci chevy luvs. does the caddy 200 4R hold up to the power of the N* or will it eventually blow.

capn
04-20-04, 06:15 PM
you think im joking? not quite. light, small, powerful V8 in a light and small truck could only equal fast. maybe not lightning speed, but it will beat the pants off of the 350ci chevy luvs. does the caddy 200 4R hold up to the power of the N* or will it eventually blow.
what about traction? light small truck with big engine in the front and nothing in the back = WHEELSPIN i saw where there was a 240sx with a corvette motor in thier, its a very light car but it had wheel spin in every gear up to about 90 so i would go for balance than overall wieght reduction.

gothicaleigh
04-20-04, 07:08 PM
The SRX uses a RWD Northstar with a transverse transmission mounted to it. You may need to use a modern N* though... Not sure on what engineering changes were involved when they rotated it for the new cars... The STS will use this configuration too.

Greg55_99
04-21-04, 11:43 PM
Tranny info that might help is here:

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Think "Supra or Mustang" 5-speed...

Greg

Caddy_Daddy472
04-22-04, 03:34 PM
well, if this weight thing is gonna be an issue, couldnt i just put a transverse engine and tranny into the bed of the truck. more weight on the rear wheels, i wont have to find a tranny to fit, and all i would need is a torch and welder. would this be an easier swap?

ljklaiber
04-22-04, 04:37 PM
RWD is not always better anyway. FWD is always underrated. LUV has a frame and chassis that is far too fragile for power unless MUCHO Mods.

If yer FWD pushes..(i.e Understeers), just set a handbrake control on the EMBS
(Emergengency Brake System)..... and when you hit (or pull) the rear brake, she will loosen up...(Oversteer). Cars cant do it all...Drivers Do!

The Mini Coopers at speed , back in old days , like 65 -69 were driven this way. Although My BMW 2002 was a bit quicker, I got the Mini C around about as good. I had to adjust...NOT the vehicle. But the way I drove.

Drive On! :bouncy:

156MPH
04-23-04, 05:24 AM
im planning on putting a N* into a chevy LUV. i need to know what i need to do to convert this motor to a RWD setup. what tranny i need. are there headers and performance parts available for these motors? ive only dealt with the caddy big blocks, never anything like this. any info will help. you can email me at CaddyDaddy472@hotmail.com. thanks alot!
I'm thinkin somebody is smokin something...........

Pimpin_Whity
04-23-04, 08:29 PM
like this
http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/post-1-1082081498.jpg

BeelzeBob
04-23-04, 11:38 PM
The SRX uses a RWD Northstar with a transverse transmission mounted to it. You may need to use a modern N* though... Not sure on what engineering changes were involved when they rotated it for the new cars... The STS will use this configuration too.

The SRX does NOT use a transverse transmission mounted to it.... The RWD Northstar is very similar in architecture to the FWD Northstar but is very different in terms of the block and head design details...i.e...the water pump and all the water passages are at the front of the engine on the RWD engine..not in the rear of the engine like the FWD Northstars.

The transmission for the SRX is a specific RWD transmission....nothing in common with the transverse transmission.

Caddy_Daddy472
04-27-04, 03:37 PM
im pretty sure if the that if the LUV frame holds up to 350's and bigger w/o mods, it will hold up to the N* no problem. ill make it work DAMNIT!

BeelzeBob
04-27-04, 04:17 PM
im pretty sure if the that if the LUV frame holds up to 350's and bigger w/o mods, it will hold up to the N* no problem. ill make it work DAMNIT!

You must really love that Luv.....LOL

I would measure across the cam covers of the Northstar and check for room between the fender wells and frame rails of the Luv engine compartment before you get to deep into this....to avoid a nasty surprise. The Northstar, being a double overhead cam engine has pretty big cylinder heads and is much wider across the cam covers than a small block chevy....

joeveto
04-27-04, 11:14 PM
im pretty sure if the that if the LUV frame holds up to 350's and bigger w/o mods, it will hold up to the N* no problem. ill make it work DAMNIT! CDaddy, sorry I didn't take you seriously before. You are obviously committed to this worthy, Chevy Luv effort.

My heartfelt apologies.

Listen, if the whole Chevy Luv thing doesn't work, I have an alternative that might bring you success. Keep in mind, I'm only offering this because I can see what this means to you, I believe you are a man (?) who can pull anything off, and you are a fellow Caddy forum brother.

In my garage, I have, and am willing to give to you (and you only), a very sweet frame to a 10 Speed Huffy, circa 1986. Here's what I'm thinking: In keeping with your lighter is better theory, despite any sort of conventional wisdom, rationale, or fear, you could stuff a Northstar between the frame, hook the chain to the crank (don't ask me how--you'll figure it out, I'm sure), mount that baby and ride. You'll surely get some wheelspin. Probably through the first nine or ten gears. But after that, if the pedals haven't ripped your legs off, you'll be "stylin and profilin."

No drag strip, bike trail or sidewalk will be safe.

Go with God, brother. And let me know if you need that frame.

Oh, and....

A little disclaimer (sorry, my lawyer friends won't let me post without including this info too...):

The above offer is for a 1986 Huffy frame and only a 1986 Huffy frame (in the event no 1986 Huffy frame is available, you will receive $.83, but only at my discretion, all rights reserved). Wheels, chain, seat, brakes, brake levers, sprockets, spokes, kickstand, reflectors, horn, basket, and other items not listed WILL NOT BE INCLUDED. Furthermore, while said frame is American made, I make no warranties as to the condition of said frame.

Transportation of the frame (or the $.86, whichever I choose) will be the sole responsibility of you, CDaddy. Furthermore, I reserve the right to demand additional handling charges, storage fees, finder's fees, legal fees, document fees, power of attorney fees, maintenance fees, homeowner's association fees, registration fees, tuition fees, library late fees, gynocological fees, war reparations, and customs charges, as neccessary, should I see fit, or if I just feel like it.

Acceptance of the above offer obligates you to enroll and pay for a lifetime membership in the North American Huffy Owner's Club Of America. The cost of this membership (a ten year membership is mandatory for anyone wishing to stuff a Northstar into a Huffy Frame, twenty years is mandatory for anyone who wishes to stick a Northstar into a Huffy Frame, but initially wanted to stick said Northstar into a Chevy Luv) is $350 per year. Once your money has been received, you'll receive a t-shirt (white, Haynes, sizes are limited, sorry no XXXL available).

Just let me know if you're interested.

Caddy_Daddy472
05-01-04, 02:29 PM
dude, ill bet i could do it.:lildevil:

gothicaleigh
05-01-04, 10:53 PM
The SRX does NOT use a transverse transmission mounted to it.... The RWD Northstar is very similar in architecture to the FWD Northstar but is very different in terms of the block and head design details...i.e...the water pump and all the water passages are at the front of the engine on the RWD engine..not in the rear of the engine like the FWD Northstars.

The transmission for the SRX is a specific RWD transmission....nothing in common with the transverse transmission.

Sorry. I don't know why I said transverse. :hmm: I realize that the SRX trans mounts directly behind the engine.

Will an older Northstar bolt up to it though?