: 2004 Pontiac Bonneville V8

ljklaiber
04-23-03, 07:01 PM
Good lookin car. saw over on Edmunds site that it will have a 4.4 DOHC V8...285 HP. Sound like Northstar to me. FWD...kinda like the STS went to Pontiac. Check it out

Brett
04-23-03, 07:45 PM
Link?

ljklaiber
04-23-03, 08:17 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/.

hope this works

I'm an old guy ...lol

Brett
04-23-03, 08:19 PM
Never to late to learn new tricks, it does sound interesting. Kind of an Aurora replacement I guess. Looks good, thank god all that cladding is gone.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/pontiac/bonneville/100200406/preview.html?tid=edmunds.n.mmindex.content..2.Pont iac*

ljklaiber
04-23-03, 08:21 PM
What Edmunds.com Says: The Bonneville finally gets the style and power it needs to compete against the best from Japan and Germany.

What We Know: Pontiac's top-of-the-line Bonneville will get a slight makeover in early 2004. Like its Grand Prix stablemate, the Bonneville will lose much of its exterior body cladding in favor of a more streamlined look. The real story, however, will be the addition of the top-of-the-line GXP high performance model. The GXP will reintroduce eight-cylinder power to the Bonneville nameplate in the form of a dual overhead cam 4.4-liter V8 that pumps out 285 horsepower. Hooked to a floor-mounted four-speed automatic the new V8 should make the revamped Bonneville quite the capable performer. The exterior of the GXP will be enhanced by extended rocker panel extensions, a three-piece rear spoiler and a slick set of 18-inch aluminum wheels. The interior will feature leather- and suede-trimmed seats, a restyled instrument cluster, carbon fiber-look trim and an aluminum shifter handle.

from the site Future Vehicles www.edmunds .com

Sorry
I am not that cool with this puter..(check the pic)...COOL car

Chuck C
04-23-03, 08:41 PM
bout time the bonn got a V8 ! looks awesome too...they finally axed that ugly body cladding

ljklaiber
04-23-03, 08:52 PM
Wife wants one...Hello Jan 2004...I get my 95 sls back..:)

Devil_concours
04-23-03, 10:31 PM
i thought the concept model had the 300hp engine instead of 285hp. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Jinx
04-24-03, 03:52 AM
Like its Grand Prix stablemate, the Bonneville will lose much of its exterior body cladding in favor of a more streamlined look... The exterior of the GXP will be enhanced by extended rocker panel extensions, a three-piece rear spoiler and a slick set of 18-inch aluminum wheels.

They take it off. Then they put it back on.

I guess that's why they call it "tacky."

.Jinx

jerseyMan
04-24-03, 10:26 AM
Styling is improved, but I'll stick with the STS.

kcnewell
04-24-03, 12:06 PM
Looks ok for a Pontiac......I'll stick with Cadillac!

Katshot
04-24-03, 02:10 PM
Until they go RWD they can keep it.

Ralph
04-30-03, 01:45 AM
Saw the new Grand Prix at the dealer today, not bad but too monotone and black inside. I prefer two or three tone colored interiors like the new Deville.

Devil_concours
04-30-03, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Saw the new Grand Prix at the dealer today, not bad but too monotone and black inside. I prefer two or three tone colored interiors like the new Deville.
question i would like to ask you is.... Did you get to drive one in gtp trim with comptetition group in manual mode?

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:20 AM
I'm sure it kicks ass, I am just tired of the monotone interiors. It is no better than Honda with only one choice for interiors in Civic=black. I like choices and that car is not cheap. I don't know how fast the competition group is, enlighten me.

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 01:27 AM
i've driven one and i was damn impressed in manual mode.
260hp and 280lbft near down low. This car was definitely faster than any northstar powered caddy i've been in.

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:28 AM
How heavy is it? The DTS still has more power?

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 01:30 AM
How heavy is it? The DTS still has more power?

i think the sedan weighs little bit over 3500lb. Eventhough DTS more power, ability to control shifting adds more to performance because in auto mode it felt very similar to my old gtp.

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Devil_concours
260hp and 280lbft near down low. This car was definitely faster than any northstar powered caddy i've been in.

Those numbers sound familiar..................Mustang GT.

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 01:32 AM
Those numbers sound familiar..................Mustang GT.
wanna hear something funny?
I've raced a few mustang gt from a stop and i had a quite a bit of lead with the previous gtp. I think i will be able to slaughter them with the new gtp.

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:33 AM
i think the sedan weighs little bit over 3500lb. Eventhough DTS more power, ability to control shifting adds more to performance because in auto mode it felt very similar to my old gtp.

Thats 500 lbs. lighter than a new DTS, sounds like a kicker allright!

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:35 AM
"Down low" sounded cool, thought it was a new American way to say "bottom end," or "low-end torque."

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 01:37 AM
"Down low" sounded cool, thought it was a new American way to say "bottom end," or "low-end torque."

They say down low as well. "Low-end torque" is all thanks to pushrod engine technology + supercharger.

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:37 AM
wanna hear something funny?
I've raced a few mustang gt from a stop and i had a quite a bit of lead with the previous gtp. I think i will be able to slaughter them with the new gtp.

I think the V8 purists won't like this one!!?

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:49 AM

Wait a minute, is this from a V8? I know the Bonnie is going that route next year!?

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 01:56 AM
Wait a minute, is this from a V8? I know the Bonnie is going that route next year!?

nope Supercharged 3.8liter v6

Ralph
05-01-03, 01:59 AM
Well then, it's confirmed. I remain a dire V6 fan. I think they are an excellent comprimise between a 4 and an 8. Good mileage and ample power, as evidenced by this conversation. I will certainly look closer at it next time at the dealership. (I guess black isn't so bad) LOL.

Ralph
05-01-03, 02:05 AM
The 3.8 turbo gets knocked for short longevity, I wonder how this one will hold up? How did your GTP hold up?

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 02:12 AM
The 3.8 turbo gets knocked for short longevity, I wonder how this one will hold up? How did your GTP hold up?

supercharged 3.8l v6 is one of the most reliable engines out there. I pushed that thing hard never gave me any problems. Only thing to worry about is the tranny on that car since stock tranny was rated 280lbft max and car came 280lbft stock from the factory (not sure what the new gtp has). Also funny thing to note is that my temperature guage remained at 1/4 (didn't have any actual temp written on the guage).

Also HUD kicks ass. Posts current vehicle speed, turn signals, highbeam usage, low gas, radio station, cd track, current gear, gear change indicator, and direction all on your windshield.

Ralph
05-01-03, 02:22 AM
Steel timing belt or rubber? Also I heard that the T-Bird 3.8 supercharged went through valves because of the extra pressure? How high was your mileage? HUD sounds cool, but I don't believe in nightvision, my dealer told me too many accidents or distrractions!

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 02:26 AM
Steel timing belt or rubber? Also I heard that the T-Bird 3.8 supercharged went through valves because of the extra pressure? How high was your mileage? HUD sounds cool, but I don't believe in nightvision, my dealer told me too many accidents or distrractions!

on the gtp, they used rubber belt to power the supercharger. Extra boost isn't a problem but the problem as mentioned above was the transmission as it is rated upto car's stock torque.
I had it for while until i hydroplaned on the highway :mad: It was a very safe car. I walked out of accident without even a scratch on me. 60mph + rain + crappy good yr tires = accident waiting to happen.

also this car had a severe torque steering on hard acceleration due to high torque at low rpm. But the new one seem to have addressed this problem very well

Ralph
05-01-03, 02:30 AM
Any torquesteer? PS I like Goodyear, never heard anything bad about them, except when they are bald. How 'bout that mileage?

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 02:34 AM
Any torquesteer? PS I like Goodyear, never heard anything bad about them, except when they are bald. How 'bout that mileage?

one of your question is already answered. IMO Good year is an overpriced brand name tire considering tire performance. As for the mileage i had it til 50k+ mi without a problem with unbeliveable amount of abuse (when i had this car, I was always late for something all the time :D).

Ralph
05-01-03, 02:42 AM
I guess it sounds like you'd be very confident in buying a new GTP? I only like 2 door cars for sporty cars. I know GM took flak for offering the GP with 4 doors about 10 years ago. I hope now, they are only 2 door as there seems to be fewer of them every year!

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 02:46 AM
I guess it sounds like you'd be very confident in buying a new GTP? I only like 2 door cars for sporty cars. I know GM took flak for offering the GP with 4 doors about 10 years ago. I hope now, they are only 2 door as there seems to be fewer of them every year!

that's the only thing i hate about the new gtp ... offered in 4 doors only. I had the 2 door coupe. I guess if they offered a coupe version, it would affect gto sales.

Ralph
05-01-03, 02:52 AM
That makes perfect sense. Kinda like the 5.7 in the older Vettes were optional in the Camaros and Trans Ams, but with reduced power. I really think the new GP should only be offered in 2door. I don't think of it as a family car. I cannot wait to see the new GTO. I remember even 10 years ago in the "High Performance Pontiac" magazines, they would always say "wait until next year...." well it will finally be here. Too bad no more Trans Am!

Devil_concours
05-01-03, 11:21 AM
That makes perfect sense. Kinda like the 5.7 in the older Vettes were optional in the Camaros and Trans Ams, but with reduced power. I really think the new GP should only be offered in 2door. I don't think of it as a family car. I cannot wait to see the new GTO. I remember even 10 years ago in the "High Performance Pontiac" magazines, they would always say "wait until next year...." well it will finally be here. Too bad no more Trans Am!

they used the same 5.7 v8 in vettes and f-body. Gm just advertised it as having a lesser power.

elwesso
05-01-03, 05:07 PM
GTPs are great cars. We have had 2, and no problems within 30k miles, with regular maintenance. HUD is SWEET!

When it comes time to turn in our GTP, we will probably get another GTP with the competition package, or the new bonneville.

Ralph
05-02-03, 12:59 AM
they used the same 5.7 v8 in vettes and f-body. Gm just advertised it as having a lesser power.

I thought I read it having a more restrictive intake routing to make less power in the 5.7 Camaro, etc. Something easily remedied of course.

Devil_concours
05-02-03, 01:29 AM
I thought I read it having a more restrictive intake routing to make less power in the 5.7 Camaro, etc. Something easily remedied of course.

if you go dyno a factory ss/ws6, you will see that gm underated these cars.

Ralph
05-02-03, 01:43 AM
I don't doubt it. It's just like most or all musclecars from the late 60's and early 70's were underrated despite the GROSS ratings compared to todays NET(with exhaust, etc.) Here is a funny story, my Dad sold his Olds 442 W-30 about ten years ago saying it was too powerful! That car was rated at 360 hp gross. I read the actual NET hp was 300, the SAME as his new DTS. When I pointed this out to him he almost had a heart attack!! LOL!

AirJigga25
05-03-03, 07:16 PM
I sat in the new Bonneville a few days ago and even though I didn't drive it, there's a lot to like about the styling. The nose/grille of the car is really cool looking and really stuck out in my mind. Sitting in it made me like Pontiacs more...

Devil_concours
05-03-03, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by AirJigga25
I sat in the new Bonneville a few days ago and even though I didn't drive it, there's a lot to like about the styling. The nose/grille of the car is really cool looking and really stuck out in my mind. Sitting in it made me like Pontiacs more...

that was actually how i felt with the new gtp. I didn't like it much when i saw the pictures but when visited pontiac dealer for a test drive.... it was awesome.

Ralph
05-04-03, 12:10 AM
Does anyone know the safety rating yet? Ie. stars for frontal and side impact? It's interesting that some small cars are rated safer than larger ones. I read somewhere that if you are in a multiple impact car accident, like a chain reaction freeway bender, then it is better to be in a larger car. I guess if something like a Dodge Ram or an H2 hit us we can forget about safety!?

Devil_concours
05-04-03, 12:12 AM
gotta love fullsize pickup/suvs w/bumper bolted right on the frame LOL

elwesso
05-04-03, 12:15 AM
I just, not too long ago did a research paper on car safety. If you want crash test results, go to www.nhtsa.gov

Ralph
05-04-03, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
I just, not too long ago did a research paper on car safety. If you want crash test results, go to www.nhtsa.gov

That's a pretty good site Wes, I've used it before. Ever notice how they don't do much crashtesting on some of the high priced models? I'm a bit of a safety nut. People will buy a car and have no idea of the rating. ie Cavalier only one star for side impact!! People who buy a Jag like to look good but I don't think I saw them rated either. On some other safety site, I saw that my '91 was 5 stars for frontal, but they never had the side. Does anyone know of other sites with this info??:burn:

elwesso
05-04-03, 12:28 AM
When I did my paper, i just typed in crash test results. I found one website (dont remember what it was) and it had listings from many different independent testers.

Ralph
05-04-03, 12:34 AM
Thanks dude, I'll try that. I'm sort of new to the internet. What got me concerned was seeing some actual pictures on the net of people after car accidents! I think one of the safest cars they made is a 1979 Nova. My real (not step) dad had one and had a head-on collision with it. People in the other car (large Buick) died and my dad had a broken leg in three places, he lost all his teeth, (only used a lap belt) and limped the rest of his life. It's ironic because my stepdad has a mint 1979 Nova he bought new!