: Cool gadgets you've seen on cars

FL01SS
03-09-07, 10:01 AM
So what sorts of things have you seen on an automobile (old or new) that have made you say, "that's cool!" or "well how about that!" or "why the Hell would you need that!?"

I saw that the new Volvo (S80 I think) has a heartbeat sensor that comunicates to the key chain if it detects a heart beat inside your car when it's locked. How crazy is that? I guess it'll make some women feel more safe.

Also on the Volvo, they have a collision warning system that signals the driver if they aproaching an object too rapidly. Personally, I expected this sooner. I figured auto makers would have started using a system like this not too long after the back up sensors came out.

On the new Lexus they have the auto parallel parking feature. It actually works great too! Man oh man does my wife need that! That's one of the coolest things I've seen recently.

Ford F-150s now have a built in ladder and handle in the tail gate that makes it a sinch to get up into the bed. That's an invention that should have been thought up long ago!

So what else is out there that deserves mentioning?

Cadillacboy
03-09-07, 10:21 AM
Audi Q7 has some special warning system with led indicators integrated to the side mirrors for blind spots .So when you decide to change your lane those leds starts blink so that you wouldn't do that because there is somebody behind you lol
Range Rover has a portable camera for tough lands .All you have to do is putting the camera somewhere on the hill then you can get an idea what kind of area you are on by viewing it thru monitor on the dash
Speaking of gadgets I hate those "start/stop" engine buttons :thepan: You just cycle your key and let engine start !

EcSTSatic
03-09-07, 12:14 PM
Air conditioning....ah, you're probably too young to remember underdash A/C add-ons :)

I remember seeing my first radial tires. My friend was driving his mother's new car. I thought they were all going flat!

Speaking of Rovers. My friend showed me how his suspension raises and lowers based on speed. Really gets the CofG down low for safer handling.

Wiseguy2
03-09-07, 04:10 PM
BMW has it set up where (In Germany) you can e-mail a Google Map location to your car's Navigation system.

Spyder
03-09-07, 05:38 PM
A friend of mine's wife's BMW starts beeping like crazy when its 37 or so degrees outside, to warn you that its cold. Took them a week to figure out what the hell the beep meant.

I think its in the old Chrysler Imperials:stirpot: (Sorry Sandy!) :alchi: that they put record players? I've always liked that...

Rolex
03-09-07, 06:02 PM
I like those vehicles that you don't have to use the key in the ignition to start. The doors will unlock automatically, and the vehicle starts without a key. IIRC that's a Mercedes thing?

I also think it's cool that GM is putting the auto start on their trucks now. At the same time IIRC you can't start the vehicle without unlocking it at the same time....and that I dislike. All the same, having remote start from the factory is :cool2:

Spyder
03-09-07, 06:38 PM
Iirc = ?

gary88
03-09-07, 07:32 PM
On my mom's Escalade you can remote start it with the doors locked. It's just that when you get in you have to put the key in and turn it to on. If you don't, as soon as you step on the brake to shift into gear the engine kills itself.

I always thought the inflatable side bolsters on the M5 were pretty neat. That's all I can think of right now.

lawfive
03-09-07, 08:47 PM
Air conditioning....ah, you're probably too young to remember underdash A/C add-ons :)

lol... I'll see that and raise you this:

I remember vacation drives to the Sierras in the 55 Oldsmobile 98 with the swamp cooler hanging off the side window in front... Every once in a while Mom would yank the cord to get some evap cool going. Dad would be driving, smoking a cigarette and flicking ashes out his side window, and inevitably some of 'em would wind up flying into the back and hitting me in the face.

Those were the days. I am a living, breathing product of second-hand smoke.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-07, 09:33 PM
Lamp monitors on basically all Cadillacs from ~67 to '96. I always thought that was a neat feature

Lets see, Imperial always had some nifty things.. lemme go dig up my '67 and '70 brochure and see what they have...

-Mobile Director option in the '67 Imperial Lebaron Crown Coupe. Basically, the rear armrest converts into a table and the passenger seat swivels around for a mobile office. How cool is that?!

Sandy
03-09-07, 11:21 PM
My 2003 Town Car's trunk can be closed from the fully open posistion via a button on the key fob, from 200 feet away, no less. People freak out when theysee me do it. It's is funny to watch.
A dash panel of the 2008 Dodge Avenger has a REAL refriderator built in, that will hold 3 1/2 pints of bottle water, or 3 cans of RC Cola (or 1 of the other 2 brands) or (heaven forbid, 3 cans of beer, or keep a chocolate bar cool in August.

Th3 Volvo S80 of 2003-2007 had a 'Fridge in the rear armrest that held 2 two litre bottles of whatever or two bottles of wine, and built into the rear hat shelf was a velvet covered compartment that house 4 Swedish cut crystal stemware in which to pour your dubonnet.

behind-bars
03-09-07, 11:35 PM
Iirc = ?
IIRC= If I recall Correctly

I like the lamp monitors too, Also the HUD with sped readout that mid-late 90s and some newer pontiacs have

Red_October_7000
03-10-07, 01:37 AM
The HUD was supposedly an option on my Buick; it and the cornering lamps are the two things I wished the original owner had added most. Now cornering lamps are showing up everywhere, including my dad's mid-optioned Envoy XUV (that entire vehicle is a gadget in and of itself).

I always loved the visually complex digital dashes and electronic readouts that were popular once upon a time. A buddy of mine has a Buick Raetta with the onboard computer. Once upon a time visual representation of the car for door monitoring, etc, was popular. I liked that.

Spyder
03-10-07, 02:22 AM
thanks behind bars...I knew it was something like that, but have never been sure of the exact meaning. :)

Benzilla
03-10-07, 11:12 AM
Lamp monitors are great, now I hate driving cars without them lol.

Guidematic headlamps. Even though it was a flawed idea, it was basically a good one.

Illuminated entry, everybody takes it for granted.

Who started power trunk pull downs?

FL01SS
03-10-07, 06:03 PM
I don't think I could live without the memory seats in my Caddy! I almost break myself every time I get into my Wife's car & the seat is all the way forward. She's 5'4" & I'm 6'1"

Cadillacboy
03-10-07, 06:32 PM
Power lumbar supports is another cool stuff I like along with massaging seats .My car has it and love it hearing it works .
Remote trunk release is too what I like .I just press RKE and open the trunk.
I like what my '95 Jag VDP had so in the evening you close your car with RKE and headlamps stay open about 25 secs to lighten up your way .
Damn how I forget ....Those sweeping gauges when you start your engine lol :bouncy:

behind-bars
03-10-07, 06:39 PM
Power lumbar supports is another cool stuff I like along with massaging seats .My car has it and love it hearing it works .
Remote trunk release is too what I like .I just press RKE and open the trunk.
I like what my '95 Jag VDP had so in the evening you close your car with RKE and headlamps stay open about 25 secs to lighten up your way .
Damn how I forget ....Those sweeping gauges when you start your engine lol :bouncy:

Oh Twilight Sentinel, That is on many cadillacs and other GMs, Not sue what current models, but it has been on Cadillacs from atleast the 80s and into mid 90s atleast.

It turns the headlight on in dusk and you can set a timer to leave them on to light a path once you shut the car off

Sandy
03-10-07, 06:50 PM
Twilight Sentinel is on all Cadillacs and all Lincoln Town Cars, as well as on the Buick Lucerne, and possibly the Corvette. It is also on Ford Crown Vics & Mercury Grand Marquis when the most premium model is chosen and then with the Luxury Pkg.
Chrysler 300 & Dodge Charger have a "Cheap Charley" version, as well as the GC. YOU cannot dictate how long the lights stay lit up for. It's pre-set by factory. I happen to know that it's only 40 seconds!! RUN !!

behind-bars
03-10-07, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure what the max time for my twilight sent is on my 93 deville, I have the delay at minimum and its maybe 5 secs tops, my battery is goofy so I dont want them staying on for that long

The one feature I would like to have on my car that others have, Is backup warnings, The hood ornament guides how far to pull up, but nothing helping backup distance.

Sandy
03-10-07, 10:53 PM
Max on Caddys & Town Cars is 3 minutes. Not sure about the other 3. but probably the same.

dkozloski
03-10-07, 11:39 PM
My neighbor had a 1928 Nash roadster that had a big central cyclops headlight that turned from left to right with the steering. There was also a custom made door in the side where you could slide a shotgun under the rear seat when road hunting for small game. If you spotted a spruce hen or ptarmigan as you were driving down the road you just stopped , jumped out, opened the little door, grabbed your gun, and bagged them.

z06bigbird
03-12-07, 07:09 AM
63 and 64 Mercs had small garbage disposal in ash tray.

Ed

OffThaHorseCEO
03-12-07, 11:27 AM
was lamp monitors the feature that dimmed the brights for oncoming cars then turned em back on after they pass?

sonce everyone is listing minor stuff instead of the really hi tech wow stuff,

i like how my DTS has a sunvisor which slides back and forth on its mount, not to mention a second pair of smaller sunvisors which only flip up and down

behind-bars
03-12-07, 05:23 PM
was lamp monitors the feature that dimmed the brights for oncoming cars then turned em back on after they pass?

sonce everyone is listing minor stuff instead of the really hi tech wow stuff,

i like how my DTS has a sunvisor which slides back and forth on its mount, not to mention a second pair of smaller sunvisors which only flip up and down

When people say lamp monitors they are talking about the things that some older cadilacs have on the sides fenders next to the hood. Its a little deal that shows the status of the headlights/running lights/turn signals and brights.

Its a little fiber optic that turns blue with the brights on and flashes when you hit the turn signal.

Very cool little feature that is integrated nicely and unobtrusive. Many people dont even realize they are thier

OffThaHorseCEO
03-12-07, 05:39 PM
o yea my bro has that on his 94 fleetwood

which btw he just bought this wknd hehe (forgot to mention)