: I'm new, here's my caddy!

moai
03-08-07, 11:13 PM
Hello all! I got my Cadillac last year for $300! All I had to do was put amaster cylinder in it, replace the alternator and throw in a battery, so i am out a total of $600 I think. I love it, it drives so beautifully I can't stand it!

The pics were taken while it was sitting waiting for me to get an alternator...There are some minor tears in the seats, but everything works--even the 8-track! I am 6'5", and it is so nice to have a car that I fit in easily. So comfy!

I found this forum while online trying to figure out how to set the clock--which I did! Totally cool. I am not sure what i am going to do with it. The headliner is starting to sag, so I might put in a groovy pattern headliner, or keep it the same. I want to put in a stereo, but in the meantime I got an 8-track to cassette adapter so I can use my iPod. I am going to get new speakers first, and see how that sounds. If I do put in a modern stereo I am leaving the stock radio, so I need to figure out where I would put it...any ideas?

So, "hi" to all and I look forward to learning more about my awesome car! As you all know, the ride is unreal. The best ever. I will never volunatrily get rid of it!

Cadillac Giovanni
03-08-07, 11:43 PM
Ooh, a Deville. 78? 79? Excellent automobile! Sounds like a fun project car, no real mechanical flaws to develop I hope, you'll really be able to spiff it up.

I know what you mean, I'm 6'3", and i sometimes take for granted the size of my automobile. Occasionally i find myself riding in friend's cars, and they're so small, it's almost painful.

Headliners are always a problem. I hear it's about 300 bucks to have them redone, and i can't bring myself to pay for that right now when i'd rather give attention to so many other things, so i stuck it up there with sewing pins. If you do it right, you can give the headliner a neat "buttoned" look to it. It's not that bad, really.

As far as the stereo, i had the same issue. I wanted to leave the stock radio in since it was so integrated into the overall appearance of the dash, so i bought an under dash mounting kit. The only bad parts are you have to put screws in the dash, and if you have an ashtray down there, it will render it useless, but i don't smoke, so i don't mind. Some people put them in the glove box, but then you lose the function of the glove box, and also, you can't reach it easily, so you'd have to use a system with a remote. Personally, I like it better under the dash, beneath the original radio. If you get ambitious, you can run some fresh power wires to the old radio, so that way it will light up and tell time, and if you get a new system with auxilary inputs, you can wire your old system to that so you can use the 8 track player as well. the possibilities are endless!

Good luck with you Cadillac, and welcome to the forum!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-07, 11:43 PM
Welcome! 1979 was an awesome year for Cadillac, one of my favorite years ever! Beautifiul car ya got there!

lochenjons
03-09-07, 12:42 AM
thats a great caddy! good luck with the mods!

N0DIH
03-09-07, 07:36 AM
Is it a fuelie car or carb?

I believe it is legal to axe the catalytic on the 79 and older cars IF it is EFI. Need to check the laws, but my dad's 79 Rabbit came sans cat and was EFI, and was legal for regular gas (that is leaded for you people who don't remember!)

moai
03-09-07, 09:46 AM
It has a carb. You can't get regular gas where I live.

Old Fleetwood
03-09-07, 05:37 PM
For your sagging headliner, you might want to hit the nearest fabric store and look around at UPHOLSTERY PINS. They are the odd-looking things that have a head about 1/8" around but have a CORKSCREW pin that you can screw into the fabric above or below whatever you want to attach.
My wife uses them to attach armrest covers and gets the ornamental kind that look like seashells.
She got them at JoAnn Fabrics.

Benzilla
03-09-07, 10:15 PM
Nice de Ville! My paint looked like that when I bought my '79 too. With some elbow grease and plenty of rubbing compound that will shine again. I love that color, one of my favorites on these cars. Especially with the vinyl top. We need more pictures! You stole my idea if the 8-Track to cassette to ipod lol, I've been doing that since last June. I'd get new speakers first, those paper ones just don't sound like they did 25 years ago.

I can tell you already know, but you have a gem of a car there, all you have to do is polish it.

moai
03-09-07, 10:49 PM
How does the 8-track to iPod sound? New speakers are going in this weekend.

Some time next week I am going to polish it up.

Oh, and the headliner is only sagging a little bit in the back. I will pin it up in the meantime, but I am considering putting in some groovy fabric, like an animal pattern or something. I know, that is blasphemy to some people, but I think it would look pretty cool. I still argue with myself about it, though.

Benzilla
03-09-07, 10:55 PM
The 8-track to ipod or mp3 player sounds as good as the radio, meaning it's the speakers that's holding it back, not the 8 track. It would probably sound pretty nice with new speakers. I'm planning that this summer.

Get some cool swirling vine pattern or something, then take some acid, lay back and have the trip of your life in your Cadillac lol.

blackcadmatt
03-10-07, 03:52 PM
Benzilla wrote:

Get some cool swirling vine pattern or something, then take some acid, lay back and have the trip of your life in your Cadillac lol.

Somewhere I have a box of 8-track cassettes, I KNOW I had some Iron Butterfly and Black Sabbath!

Great-looking DeVille and welcome to the asylum!

moai
03-10-07, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the great welcomes and compliments!

My girlfriend works in a used record store, so I have access to a great collection of 8-tracks. Really cool old 70's stuff, as well as a few things more recent. I'll still probably use the iPod more, though. But I've got AC/DC Back In Black!

N0DIH
03-10-07, 08:31 PM
I am dating myself... I haven't seen regular leaded gas in ages. Just 100 octane race only stuff.

It has a carb. You can't get regular gas where I live.

bicentennialcadillac
03-11-07, 01:01 AM
Damn good deal on a damn good car.

yobee
03-11-07, 09:19 PM
say buddy. on mine i also kept the original 8 track, i wired my cd player up to it so they both work and i mounted the cd player (with the help of some custom brackets, underneath the ashtray (the sliding ashtray) it fit absolutely perfect and it was really cool that it could slide out and tuck away, i never had a problem doing it that way and it looked really good actually, just make a small "beauty box" to cover the cd player so you dont see the metal.

moai
03-12-07, 03:14 AM
say buddy. on mine i also kept the original 8 track, i wired my cd player up to it so they both work and i mounted the cd player (with the help of some custom brackets, underneath the ashtray (the sliding ashtray) it fit absolutely perfect and it was really cool that it could slide out and tuck away, i never had a problem doing it that way and it looked really good actually, just make a small "beauty box" to cover the cd player so you dont see the metal.

How did you do that? Just a casual look at the dash it looks like a major pain to get behind the radio.

What did you make your "beauty box" out of?

Benzilla
03-12-07, 03:41 PM
It's actually not that hard at all to get behind the radio.

moai
03-14-07, 01:07 AM
It's actually not that hard at all to get behind the radio.

Do I come up from underneath, or can I get to it when I have the dash off to put in speakers?

From what I have read and looked at in the car, the dash comes off in a snap--just have to remember the bolts by the speedometer and the one in the glove box.

I have put in stereos before, and I have really hammered a couple of dashboards, but in Hondas I did fine!