: Considering a V6 STS

buzz
03-08-07, 07:41 PM
I am considering the purchase of an '05 STS with the V6 engine. I drove the car and it seems pretty solid; however, as this was the first year of production for this car, I am wondering if there is/are anything I should be concerned about. The car has approx 30k miles and the offer price is @ 24k. It seems pretty well equipped with an original sticker @ 43k.

I had a '98 SLS and it was a wonderful car. I say had because I traded for an '06 Buick Lucerne with the Northstar engine. you can visit BuickForums.com and look for "Not happy with this car" if you want to see why I am nit happy with the Lucerne.

BTW, where is this new Cadillac STS built?

Bruce Nunnally
03-08-07, 07:51 PM
The STS, CTS, and SRX are made at the Lansing Grand River plant.

The Lucerne and DTS are made at the Hamtramck plant.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your Lucerne.

c5 rv
03-08-07, 08:53 PM
I suggest that you spend some time reading the threads here and decide if a STS is for you - especially an 05. I would suggest not buying any model from the first year of its production. I had an 04 CTS (2nd year of prduction) and it was essentially flawless for 47K miles until I traded it in. My 06 SRX has been great, but it only has about 10K miles on it.

I recently leased another DD and seriously considered the Lucerne CXL V8, LaCrosse CXS, V6 AWD STS, and AWD Lincoln MKZ. I liked the way the LaCrosse handled better than the Lucerne - especially since the Lucerne had a front end shimmy. I decided that I wanted to continue to have AWD due to our winters and I was trading in my AWD Sierra Denali. It came down to the STS and MKZ - two AWD sedans but about $17K different in MSRP. The STS has a high content of electronic features while the MKZ is more aligned with the CTS and has few electronic gizmos. As much as I liked the STS, I really only needed what the MKZ offered, so I went with the Lincoln. (It helps that I'm eligible for family discounts for GM and Ford vehicles.)

malatu
03-09-07, 05:07 PM
I think it's a crap shoot with any new model year. I'm still driving a 92 bonnevelle (new model year)with 190 k mi. It's had it's problems but I would assume most of these were a result of mileage, i.e., rebuilt tranny at 140k. New cars, used cars ... again, it's a crap shoot.

buzz
03-09-07, 07:50 PM
Yes... a crap shoot is can be. I rarely purchase used cars and occasionally end up with a new one from the first model year when I purchase or lease new. This time, with the '06 Lucerne, I did choose the first model year and it has not been a happy experience. Now that I think about it, the '84 Lincoln Mark VII I purchased in the fall of 1984 was the first year for that model as well. It was such a piece of crap, after 13 months of frustration (and a stack of work orders 1.5" thick), I traded for an '85 Electra T Type. I believe this was the first year for this model as well; however, this Buick was a dream to drive and own. I stuck with GM since then; although I did have a couple of new Volvos in the early '90s. a 1990 760 Turbo and a 1994 960. These were the only cats I ever owned that never gave me a stitch of trouble during the nearlt 8 years of ownership. maybe it's time for another trip to Europe?

97greendeville
03-10-07, 05:35 PM
My dad bought a navy blue v6 rwd. Hasn't had any problems and peforms flawlessly. We want to race one of these days, northstar 97 deville vs v6 vvt 2006 sts, just to see whose better. His makes around the same hp and tq as mine !! scaryy!!!
Nice car and it was a leftover so he got it for 36k. Pretty good deal i think, and runs like a top, with no problems whatsoever.

evaccaro
03-10-07, 10:31 PM
I have a 2007 V6 with the 1SC Luxury Performance package. I was a bit skeptical that I would be happy with the V6 but I am amazed at this package. It performs extremely well and has plenty of power.

Zig28
03-12-07, 09:49 PM
My '06 STS4 is loaded and the 3.6L has plenty o' power, I don't regret it at all and the 150 lbs. or so in weight saved over the V8 makes up for a lot in my opinion.

buzz
03-13-07, 08:27 PM
Thanks to all of you for your informative replys. I received a phone call this afternoon at my office from the service manager at my local Buick dealership. The Lucerne CRX is car #12 from this dealer since 1988 and he called me to extend the offer GM made after listening to my complaints about this new Buick. GM offered me a set of free oil changes they claim to be worth $500! I told him exactly whet I told the GM rep: "I am insulted by this offer to 'soothe my frustrations' with a free oil change! If you want my continued business, buy the car back like I requested at the beginning!"

Anyway, I will be visiting the Mpls auto show this week. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to meet (in person) the area rep for Buick.

I am still considering a Cadillac STS and I am really sorry I replaced my Seville with this Buick!

z06bigbird
03-22-07, 11:08 PM
I am considering the purchase of an '05 STS with the V6 engine. I drove the car and it seems pretty solid; however, as this was the first year of production for this car, I am wondering if there is/are anything I should be concerned about. The car has approx 30k miles and the offer price is @ 24k. It seems pretty well equipped with an original sticker @ 43k.

I had a '98 SLS and it was a wonderful car. I say had because I traded for an '06 Buick Lucerne with the Northstar engine. you can visit BuickForums.com and look for "Not happy with this car" if you want to see why I am nit happy with the Lucerne.

BTW, where is this new Cadillac STS built?

Caddy mechanics like the 3.6. Even they are buying them.

Ed

Wiseguy2
03-25-07, 01:30 AM
I have a V6 STS, it replaced a Volvo S80 T6, I like the STS exponentially more than the Volvo. It's also at least as peppy below 100 as my BMW 740iL. Fantastic engine.. and the gas mileage aint bad either!

Force-1
04-02-07, 12:04 AM
I just purchased a new '06 V6 STS. MSRP was $51K, and I took it home for $38K. Great car--so far very pleased with it.

caddycruiser
04-02-07, 08:13 AM
Just be a little more wary because '05s particularly did have some bugs, and there's really a flood of them on the market, all with quite low prices because of initial overpricing, big discounts, and therefore bad resales.

That said, the issues you had with your Lucerne seemed more rooted in just not liking the way things worked rather than many real problems, so if you do go STS--which can have its own electronic uniqueness--make sure you're fully aware of how everything works and whether you really like it or you don't.

Terrific cars, just be sure of what you're getting into, 100%.

robert
04-02-07, 05:38 PM
Not true about the 05 STS's. I received the first 05 STS, V-8 to be shipped to my city and I followed my vehicle as it went through the assembly line and after it was finished being assembled, QA kept the vehicle for 2 weeks checking for any defects and they did a great job checking my 05 STS because it has been perfect in everyway, that was one of the selling points for me, to be able to track my vehicle in every stage of production. As a matter of fact I began to get a little inpatient at the end before my STS was shipped to the dealer.

Devil_concours
04-02-07, 07:47 PM
btw, if you don't mind, new v6 is going to be released with the 08 STS and it should bring down the price even further. If you don't mind, you may just want to ask the seller if they're willing to negotiate.