: Welcoming Myself to the Affliction

devilock76
03-08-07, 01:08 PM
Hello all, recently became the owner of a beautiful 1988 Fleetwood Brougham. Just about cherry inside. Good outside. Runs strong with only 105,000 miles on it. Oh and got it for $1500. Just a beautiful car for a great price. I have worked on Caddy's before but this is the first one I have owned. Got a small list of things that should be looked at, like the cat and the torque converter, not big deals and not bad enough to affect driving it but worth looking into in the next few weeks. What a great drive. I could drive all day in her.

Ken

Old Fleetwood
03-08-07, 02:59 PM
Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

You'll find this board a veritable gold mine of information. Just cruise your way back along the threads. It will take some time, but there are some priceless gems in "back issues" especially regarding the transmission.

Good luck. :)

Cadillac_Fan
03-08-07, 03:48 PM
Do tell more; (pics would be great). Color? Options? Wire wheels or spoked covers? Welcome!

Cadillac Giovanni
03-08-07, 11:47 PM
Yes, welcome aboard! If you ever need to know the score with your car, come here and check the previous posts with the search option.

1988, a very good year! Mine is an 89, i got it for 1000, but it had a few more miles on it than yours does. Those 307s will run forever and a day if you care for them. Have fun with your car. I find impromptu road trips are always exciting, and always comfortable.

devilock76
03-09-07, 09:34 AM
She has wire wheels, no D'elegance package. Vinyl top, no sunroof/moonroof. Power everything however the auto dimmer mirror was replaced by an aftermarket one that just doesn't fit right. I am looking to find an original one to get back on there.

I will get pictures soon. I have some from the original sellers ad.

Next time I get lift time I plan to do the following:

1. New torque converter (it's only $80 and I know at minimum the lockup is gone)
2. New performance Catalytic converter option. Figure why it is up there why not since it is only $60.

After those two things I am going to really go over the timing and fuel mixture and see where I am at then. She has a bobble at idle which a mechanic told the previous owner was from a leak in the intake manifold and they adjusted the carb to compensate. I don't think that is right though as a new manifiold gasket was done on her recently. She also had the carb rebuilt as well so that is a potential suspect. She bogs a little bit under acceleration in a manner that makes me pretty sure she is running too rich. Also the previous owner said regular unleaded gas would give her a slight spark knock which is a sign to me the timing is retarded (in the true sense of the word). Also there is one service record he had where it indicated the (trying to remember the term) the accelerator reservoir had a leak. Apparently this is a gas chamber used for extra acceleration under load. Never heard of that before. Anyway just a little matter of trial and error to button up her tune.

Question, how do I pull the codes for this car. I read somewhere I should be able to hit the off button and the warmer button on the climate control and it will pull the codes but that is not working thus far.

Ken

Cadillac Giovanni
03-09-07, 01:33 PM
ive heard that as well, about the buttons on the climate control gizmo, but I think it's a lie. I beleive you have to either have the official GM apparatus to hook up to the harness under the dash to pull codes ($$$$$) or you can jump two of the pins in that harness and the check engine light will flash the codes. I think there's an older thread talking about it...

Old Fleetwood
03-09-07, 06:25 PM
I've never done it, but doesn't AutoZone, NAPA or one of the parts houses just jump at the chance to pull the codes for you in the hopes of selling you something?

sizanjdf
03-10-07, 03:18 AM
You cant read the codes with a code reader because its not an OBD II. You simply get a paper clip and jump two of the pins in the harness. make sure the ignition is off put in the jump wire (paper clip) Turn the key on and the engine codes should flash. I dont know on your car but on my truck it flashes a 12 three times then flashes each code 3 times. for a 12 it would flash once and pause the flash twice and pause and do it again....same for the other codes. then just look the codes up online. I believe on the 81s which were fuel injected you could do the codes by pushing a certain combo of buttons, maybe you can do that on the 82-85s with the 4.1s as well.. not sure.

Motorboat
03-10-07, 10:11 PM
Just bought an '88 Brogham and paid top $$$ for it but I think it is worth it. Interior is perfect and there are no other issues with the car. 65K on the clock and everything works except the opera lights?

Old Fleetwood
03-10-07, 10:38 PM
Motorboat -
I may be mistaken, but I believe your Opera Lights are NEON !
If so, there is a huge bunch of information about them in the archives on this site, much of which boils down to the fact that they are powered by 110volts. Thus....how long is your extension cord? (LOL)
In any case, try to get a Factory Service Manual.
And good luck with your ride!:thumbsup:

The Ape Man
03-10-07, 11:14 PM
Cadillac DEFI which was 8/6/4 and HT-4100 could read codes with off and warmer buttons. Others (like yours) needed the proper 2 pins jumped on the ALDL connector.

Motorboat
03-11-07, 04:57 PM
I just got the repair manual. The opera lights are indeed 110 volt. Since both are inoperative I think it is the inverter. Just got the manual today and found the test procedure for the lights. Havn't done it yet.

Does anyone know what tool is required to remove the screw which holds the trunk liner in? My eyesight is not good and I just can't see what kind of head is on it.

Thanks in advance