: More K&N News

afg350ci
03-08-07, 09:20 AM
I received an email from K&N that the oil filter for the 3.6L V6. Does anyone know whether it's worth getting it? What would be the benefit? How long does it last? (I'm assuming you have to change it every time you change your oil...)

Thanks everyone.

robhersch
03-08-07, 03:23 PM
I understand that K&N, AirHog, and Volant all use wire mesh units with 'cloth type' elements and that all are 'washable' and likely - with cleaning & 'oiling' every 25k mi or so - last a vehicle liftime. Most auto supply houses carry kits to clean & oil for ~ $10 that accommodate several cycles.

jrose7004
03-08-07, 11:34 PM
I run K&N Oil Filters in my Corvette, they're less restrictive from the comparisons I've seen.

KMO
03-09-07, 07:47 AM
I personally run nothing but Mobil1 synthetic and K&N filters in all my vehicles over the last 5 or 6 years... (as long as they are available). They have served me well to date.

afg350ci
03-09-07, 01:41 PM
So you can clean and oil the air filter, but you have to replace and toss the oil filter, right?

jrose7004
03-09-07, 07:52 PM
So you can clean and oil the air filter, but you have to replace and toss the oil filter, right?

That's right!

robhersch
03-10-07, 10:16 PM

You cannot clean and oil the OEM paper air filter (same for V6 & V8) which you can also replace and toss; the cleaning and oiling only works for a metal mesh type air filter designed for such maintenance: K&N, Volant, AirHog, and ???
Guess that you could clean the used oil filter if you have the expertise and the appropriate cleaning equipment, and you could also probably operate the V6 without an oil filter (if you prefer to change the engine soon) although the V8 would let you know very quickly if you simply removed the oil filter and started the engine; believe the N*V8 uses OEM A/C pf 61.

Infrared in Idaho
03-11-07, 10:25 PM
The new K&N filter seems to be a cheap replacement for the OEM Air Filter. What I mean by cheap is less filter element material and more plastic material than OEM.