: Take another l OO k at Monte Carlo

Sandy
03-07-07, 09:17 PM
I think it's a great buy. I just went to www.chevy.com and did a total & complete car and was amazed at content & price. Here ya go:--

2007 Monte SS with 5.3L Small Block V-8, Fog Lights, Leather Buckets, 18" Wheels, Rallye Suspension, XM Radio, Cargo Net, Remote Start & Keyless Entry, Cargo Net, 6-Disc CD & MP3 Player, Side Air Bags, 8-Speaker Bose Audio, Power Glass Moonroof, Rallye Stripes, Leather Tilt Wheel, Auto Dimming R/View Mirror, Exterior Heated Power Mirrors, Chromed Wheels.

MSRLP ?? $ 30,340 includes Destination Fee. Gotta be able to buy it for no more than $28,500.

Lot of car for the $$$$$ I think......

Granted it's NOT a Cobra killer, but it's a nice full sized Coupe with up to the minute features, and a comfortable ride you need not be ashaimed of. Agree ? ((Or No ? ))

Jesda
03-07-07, 09:27 PM
Or for $30k you can get a 350Z.

Its so horrendously bland AND ugly.

lbwd
03-07-07, 10:01 PM
In my personal opinion: Monte Carlo = Ugly

When I was 15, I thought it was the coolest car around -- until I turned 17 and found a 1996 Seville STS!! Now almost anything else looks like crap to me.

Destroyer
03-07-07, 10:50 PM
Drive that Monte for a year and consider yourself lucky to get $15k for it if you wish to sell it. If it was rear wheel drive things would be different but the old school car guys just dont want a FWD performance car. The Monte had to be rear drive like it used to be to succeed. How many people would buy a Mustang or Camaro with FWD configuration?. Not many and its because many want to modify there V8 musclecars and are very limited with FWD. Goodbye Monte Carlo, hopefully you will come back to us when you find your true roots.

Caroutisine
03-07-07, 11:02 PM
I think it's a great buy. Agree ? ((Or No ? ))
Agreed.

illumina
03-07-07, 11:14 PM
I'm one of the few that actually like the Monte Carlo, I say go for a little less, and take her home!

CadillacTerry
03-08-07, 07:06 AM
Drive that Monte for a year and consider yourself lucky to get $15k for it if you wish to sell it. If it was rear wheel drive things would be different but the old school car guys just dont want a FWD performance car. The Monte had to be rear drive like it used to be to succeed. How many people would buy a Mustang or Camaro with FWD configuration?. Not many and its because many want to modify there V8 musclecars and are very limited with FWD. Goodbye Monte Carlo, hopefully you will come back to us when you find your true roots.

Well, seeing as how chevrolet's comitition are brands like toyota and honda, and niether of them make a full size rear drive performance coupe, chevy isn't going to make one. Its a shame that what was once the biggest corporation in the world(GM) has been reduced to trying to competitive with the forign car makers. They need to build cars for americans not the japanese or europeans.

As for the FWD mustang, ford tried that. Remember the ford probe, It didn't do to well either.

LS1Mike
03-08-07, 08:19 AM

And old guys are gonna die someday too. RWD is not the always the key to sucess. The right opitions and build quality are. If RWD was what sold cars the Impala and Cobalt woudln't be in the top 10 selling cars in America and the F-body would not have been discountiuned. It wasn't selling either.

How good of a performance car was the Monte before now? Not so great.
This FWD version is the fastest, best handling, best stopping Monte to date.
Don't get me wrong I love RWD and that is all I have, but there are not enough old guys to make a difference. These are same guys who tell me their bone stock 396 Camaro was faster than a 4th gen F-bod, new corvette or the current Impala SS/Monte SS. It wasn't. It was a 14 second car on current rubber. They think everything new sucks and it doesn't.

nickc50310
03-08-07, 08:41 AM
Those are really nice Sandy, I like em. One thing I dont understand though, why buy new? I will never buy a brand new car in my life probably. You take such a hit as soon as you take a new car home, as Im sure you know. For 30k you could almost get a used CTS-V.

Blackout
03-08-07, 08:43 AM
As for the FWD mustang, ford tried that. Remember the ford probe, It didn't do to well either.Yeah right! I'll take a 1st gen Probe GT with that turbo 4 cylinder. They make great sleepers!

Blackout
03-08-07, 08:51 AM
The right opitions and build quality are.

F-body would not have been discountiuned. It wasn't selling either.Reasons why the F-bodies are now gone. Pricing was to similar to the Corvette so people spent the extra money to buy a Vette instead, and the build quality of the F-bodies was pathetic at best. My ex g/f's paretns had a 2002 Trans Am WS6 with a 6 speed. Hot looking car but holy shit! When I took it for a drive you would have thought the car was 15 years old with all the sqweeks and rattling that was going on in the car when you hit a bump.

How good of a performance car was the Monte before now? Not so great.They weren't the fastest in stock trim by any means but at the same time that how the Mustang's are as well. What made them awesome cars is the aftermarket and what you could turn your Monte Carlo or Mustang into. Now with the Monte Carlo being FWD the people that want to mod them are stuck because you can't due too much to them at this point.

This FWD version is the fastest, best handling, best stopping Monte to date.And so were the F-bodies for their respective brands. But like I've been saying for a long time performance alone doesn't sell cars.

Sandy
03-08-07, 10:57 AM
The line of division here, is that I do not view the Monty as a "Performance Car" ~ as a performance car....it sucks. It's no more of a performance car than a full sized Merc. Cougar was, or a T-Bird (4-Pass 1990s) nor a pre-NorthStar base model Eldorado or a Chrysler Cordoba. Monty is a full sized coupe with a small block V-8 that does NOT post 0-60 times as that is not where it's head (or grille) is at... It's large enough to seat 4 adults, deliver a smooth comfy ride and have luxury features, all for under $29,000, for the complete car with every option.
A Toyopet Camry XLE 4-Dr. with all 4 options is also $30,000 and is also front wheel drive and only offers a 6 Cyl. and is the best selling car in America.

Why people buy new question:
I buy new as I like to have every option. 10% new car buyers opt for every option. I also like to pick the color scheme. Buying any new car is a loosing deal money wise, but so are many other things, such as a trip to Atlantic City or Vegas, buying lottery tickets, or going to the movies and paying $20.00 for two tickets and $4.00 for popcorn & $ 2.00 drink and the movie stunk and you hated it.
Actually there are only 4 things that are NOT losing prop, nickc31050, they are:
Property, CDs at the bank, real estate, and gold & good diamonds. All else goes down in value.

Wiseguy2
03-08-07, 02:36 PM
Or for $30k you can get a 350Z.

Its so horrendously bland AND ugly.

And for $30k you can get a Used Ferrari 308... 350Z is a totally different car mang.

LS1Mike
03-08-07, 04:08 PM
Reasons why the F-bodies are now gone. Pricing was to similar to the Corvette so people spent the extra money to buy a Vette instead, and the build quality of the F-bodies was pathetic at best.

Pricing is not similar. A fully loaded WS6 could be had for 34,000 new, what C5 is close to that, add about 12000 to 15000 dollars for a C5, that is 200 to 300 dollars more a month. The interior fit and finish on the C5 Vette is similar to that of an F-body. Same plastic, same rattles, same front wheel bearings, same drivetrain.
My CTS's build quality is marginally better than my WS6. I have had 5 4th Gen F-bodies and if your girlfriends parents was that bad, they should have taken it back. I have close to 200 1/4 mile passes on mine and it is still solid. My 94 4th Gen didn't start to rattle until about 120,000 miles. The rest were all queit, but rode harsh.

Blackout
03-08-07, 05:07 PM
Pricing is not similar. A fully loaded WS6 could be had for 34,000 new, what C5 is close to that, add about 12000 to 15000 dollars for a C5, that is 200 to 300 dollars more a month.$34k was about as much as you could get a C5 for. I mean hell the C6 starts out at a little under $45k. Just for S & G's you could get a C5 for a little over $41k back in 2002. So for $7k more you can have yourself a Vette. That's what killed the F-bodies.

if your girlfriends parents was that bad, they should have taken it back. To date that is the one and only WS6 I've ever driven. Actually it's the only F body I have driven to date. My dad had a 1992 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6. The thing was fast as hell but holy crap was that thing in the shop more then it was on the road! Great car when it was up and running but there always seemed to be something breaking or some new rattle or sqweek. I used to hang out with a bunch of guys that had some modded up F bodies and yeah they were fast as hell but at the same time it felt like the thing was about to fall apart as you were driving around town.

I have close to 200 1/4 mile passes on mine and it is still solid. My 94 4th Gen didn't start to rattle until about 120,000 miles. The rest were all queit, but rode harsh.They weren't the most smooth ride on the road, that's for sure! BTW what kinda 1/4's you running in your car? You have any mod's done to it?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-07, 11:27 PM
They've got a lot of features for the price, and are fast as hell, but are very very bland looking inside and out. And for those two reasons alone, I wouldn't consider it. The last decent looking Monte IMO was the '99. I never liked that 2000+ style...there are just too many curves in the design, yet it's very very bland. It's like they tried to remake the 1973-77 style over again, which was never a good looking style. If they would have gone for the 1970 style, it would have sold much better IMO.

96Fleetwood
03-09-07, 07:24 AM
Wow.. do yourself a favor and wait till late 2008 when the Impala & Monte Carlo will go back to RWD. My brother in law had a new 5.3 liter Monte Carlo for 5 months and recently traded it in on a slightly used DTS (for not much money difference).

The FWD Monte Carlo is mainly purchased by rental car companies (granted not the 5.3 liter), Dale Earnhardt fans, & women who want a "sports car" that is not a V6 Mustang.

If you don't mind depreciating 30% in one year, the FWD torque steer, the NASCAR look, or the fact you just spent $28K when you could have had a left over new 2006 Pontiac GTO for $25K... then go for it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-07, 06:51 PM
The Monte, especially in the SS or "Dale Earnhardt Limited Edition" versions is the closest thing ever to an automotive mullet, aside from the El Caminos.

Destroyer
03-09-07, 08:01 PM
Pricing is not similar. A fully loaded WS6 could be had for 34,000 new, what C5 is close to that, add about 12000 to 15000 dollars for a C5, that is 200 to 300 dollars more a month. The interior fit and finish on the C5 Vette is similar to that of an F-body. Same plastic, same rattles, same front wheel bearings, same drivetrain.
My CTS's build quality is marginally better than my WS6. I have had 5 4th Gen F-bodies and if your girlfriends parents was that bad, they should have taken it back. I have close to 200 1/4 mile passes on mine and it is still solid. My 94 4th Gen didn't start to rattle until about 120,000 miles. The rest were all queit, but rode harsh.I had two 4rth gen Z28's, a '94 t top 6 spd which I bought new and a '95 Z28 convertible which I sold 2 years ago. Yeah they had cheap plastics but no real rattles or anything like that to speak of. Pretty solid cars IMO. In contrast my buddy has a low 12 second '04 Mach 1 and that thing rattles like crazy, substantially lower quality than the last fbody cars. Nobody (I dont think) buys these kind of cars for a luxury experience or refinement, we buy them to modify them and haul ass.

LS1Mike
03-10-07, 01:07 PM
Nobody (I dont think) buys these kind of cars for a luxury experience or refinement, we buy them to modify them and haul ass.

Couldn't have said it better myself, if you are buying a Corvette, F-body, Mustang or the like for Luxury...you are not smart.

The new Monte on the other hand is very nice on the inside, comfy and quiet.
FWD or not the with the 5.3 it moves out pretty damn good.

LS1Mike
03-10-07, 01:12 PM
BTW what kinda 1/4's you running in your car? You have any mod's done to it?

LS6 Intake, Mac Mid length headers, Lid, no cats, exhaust, tune, Nitrous Direct 50, 75, 100, 120 dry shot, Mcleod twin disk clutch and Comp Cams custom grind 228/232 .581 .581 112 LSA 112 +4.
12.60 at 112.02 mph without the Cam or Nitrous. I will get out to the track in April. I should be able to run 11's.

Keeping with the monte theme, those engines are LS1 based and some of the same aftermarket goodies I have on the T/A will work on that.

96Fleetwood
03-10-07, 03:38 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, if you are buying a Corvette, F-body, Mustang or the like for Luxury...you are not smart.

My Dad bought a 2007 Corvette Z06 2LZ fully loaded back in October.. he thought if he was paying $80K it has to have some luxury.... WRONG...

Personally I loved the balls out performance of the Z06, but it was just too much. We also have a 2002 Collectors Edition Trans Am WS6 Convertible and that is powerful yet easily tamed unlike the Z06.

With only 600 miles on the Z06, it was sold and replaced by a Mercedes SL55 AMG.