: Nice shiny pile of handguns! :)

Spyder
03-07-07, 05:46 PM
I don't have a pic (SORRY!) but I just spent the last three hours cleaning the majority of my handguns. It'd been a while, one of them had more than a thousand rounds through it since being cleaned last, the other two were due as well.

Good afternoon's work for my day off. :)

Long guns will have to wait till another day, not nearly enough time for them, even though I got a head start and totally tore apart and rebuilt my .308 and my .243 a week or two ago...

Rolex
03-07-07, 05:55 PM
You're wrong for that!!! :mad: I expect some gun PRON. :p

I made another range trip and took my FIL today. 68 degrees and sunny = a busy day at the Rogers Gun Club. :D Cleaning session happens later tonight.

Spyder
03-07-07, 06:10 PM
Yea, I tried to call some folks to go, but none of 'em could make it...maybe tomorrow or Sunday. I could just do the indoor range, but I havn't fired a hi power rifle in a few weeks...the itch is growing. :D

I'll post some pron later.

DILLIGAF
03-07-07, 06:25 PM
UGGGGHHH,I hate gun cleaning.Black powder stuff is the worst of the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder
03-07-07, 09:09 PM
I dunno...I kinda like it. Maybe its like crocheting for old women or something... Relaxing and fun sometimes, one of those mindless things (if you do it enough to not have to think about it, anyways) that you can do while watching TV or whatnot.

Blackpowder, however, does suck to clean. But its so damned much fun to play with!!!

Rey Rey 650
03-07-07, 10:07 PM
Spyder( or anyone one else)- Im planning on getting a 40 Caliber hand gun....What is a good brand to get? I heard that HK's and Barrettas are pretty good....Whats your opinion?

Rolex
03-07-07, 11:12 PM
Spyder( or anyone one else)- Im planning on getting a 40 Caliber hand gun....What is a good brand to get? I heard that HK's and Barrettas are pretty good....Whats your opinion?

What's going to be the primary use for the weapon? How much do you want to spend? Do you want a weapon that has a safety selector switch?

Rey Rey 650
03-07-07, 11:52 PM
What's going to be the primary use for the weapon? How much do you want to spend? Do you want a weapon that has a safety selector switch?

My primary use would be for practicing at the gun range and just for having it at the house..... I dont want to spend no more then 800.00 if that possible...Im not really familiar with gun prices

Rolex
03-08-07, 12:25 AM
My primary use would be for practicing at the gun range and just for having it at the house..... I dont want to spend no more then 800.00 if that possible...Im not really familiar with gun prices

For 800 smokes you can buy almost every popular make or model handgun off the shelf. How about the need for a safety selector? Or would you be interested in a DAO like Glock, Springfield XD, etc?

This is a question I get a lot. You'll find the "experts" at a gunshop who have very strong opinions....ie "if you don't shoot a 45 acp you might as well throw rocks." They'll often steer you to one particular make or model weapon that they "like." That particular weapon suits them and their needs. Not necessarily you, or your needs.

I suggest getting started by going to the gun shop and physically holding several makes and models in your hand. See which weapon feels the most comfortable in your grip. When you only "try on" one it may feel great, but when you compare many different you'll find one WILL fit you better than the others. That will probably help you narrow your choices down to 2-3 weapons.

The "plastic" handguns have become all the rage. You couldn't go wrong with the Glock, Springfield XD, Taurus Millennium Pro (not the older models...don't buy used), Kahr K40, or Smith and Wesson M&P (not the Sigma!). You'll find info on all the above in the popular gun periodicals. Also see Sig Sauer 229 (not plastic but without a safety selector), a great weapon with unquestionable reliability. I have owned or fired all the above. All these weapons are well made with no major advantages or differences over each other. All would be well suited for home defense.....with the right ammo choice.

If you're looking for something with a safety selector or in DA/SA the S&W autos are worth a look. The aforementioned Taurus Millenuim Pro also has a safety selector. CZ makes a solid pistol at a reasonable price. Our military men and women carry Beretta sidearms in the sandbox. I'm not a huge Beretta fan but they seem to work fine in that unhospitable place. The Browning BHP is a fine weapon but pricey.

I personally dislike Ruger semi autos. I'm also not nutz about the H&K triggers on their autos. I also think 1911s, while a great weapon, aren't the best home defense weapon. But remember these are personal dislikes.

I seperate these weapons primarily on the safety selector, because I find that's what people just getting started seem to believe is most important. For me the trigger reset, reliability, warranty and customer service are more important.

Here's a place with forums on several different make and model handguns. Surf through the forums and see if you can dig up any problems on the pistols you're considering.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=5

When you narrow down your choices I'd be happy to offer you my opinion on the specific make and model. Good luck.

Rey Rey 650
03-08-07, 12:50 AM
For 800 smokes you can buy almost every popular make or model handgun off the shelf. How about the need for a safety selector? Or would you be interested in a DAO like Glock, Springfield XD, etc?

This is a question I get a lot. You'll find the "experts" at a gunshop who have very strong opinions....ie "if you don't shoot a 45 acp you might as well throw rocks." They'll often steer you to one particular make or model weapon that they "like." That particular weapon suits them and their needs. Not necessarily you, or your needs.

I suggest getting started by going to the gun shop and physically holding several makes and models in your hand. See which weapon feels the most comfortable in your grip. When you only "try on" one it may feel great, but when you compare many different you'll find one WILL fit you better than the others. That will probably help you narrow your choices down to 2-3 weapons.

The "plastic" handguns have become all the rage. You couldn't go wrong with the Glock, Springfield XD, Taurus Millennium Pro (not the older models...don't buy used), Kahr K40, or Smith and Wesson M&P (not the Sigma!). You'll find info on all the above in the popular gun periodicals. Also see Sig Sauer 229 (not plastic but without a safety selector), a great weapon with unquestionable reliability. I have owned or fired all the above. All these weapons are well made with no major advantages or differences over each other. All would be well suited for home defense.....with the right ammo choice.

If you're looking for something with a safety selector or in DA/SA the S&W autos are worth a look. The aforementioned Taurus Millenuim Pro also has a safety selector. CZ makes a solid pistol at a reasonable price. Our military men and women carry Beretta sidearms in the sandbox. I'm not a huge Beretta fan but they seem to work fine in that unhospitable place. The Browning BHP is a fine weapon but pricey.

I personally dislike Ruger semi autos. I'm also not nutz about the H&K triggers on their autos. I also think 1911s, while a great weapon, aren't the best home defense weapon. But remember these are personal dislikes.

I seperate these weapons primarily on the safety selector, because I find that's what people just getting started seem to believe is most important. For me the trigger reset, reliability, warranty and customer service are more important.

Here's a place with forums on several different make and model handguns. Surf through the forums and see if you can dig up any problems on the pistols you're considering.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=5

When you narrow down your choices I'd be happy to offer you my opinion on the specific make and model. Good luck.

Rolex- Thanks for your helpful input. Your right, I probably need to hold a few guns and see which one feels best in my hands. Once I narrow down my search ill make sure to ask for your personal opinion on my final choices...Thanks again Bro!

OffThaHorseCEO
03-08-07, 01:22 AM
safety selector or in DA/SA
what are these and why are they important/desirable/undesirable

break it down for a person who cant even legally own a handgun yet, has no knowledge of weapons, yet cant wait till he can legally own one...

Rolex
03-08-07, 12:14 PM
what are these and why are they important/desirable/undesirable

break it down for a person who cant even legally own a handgun yet, has no knowledge of weapons, yet cant wait till he can legally own one...

SA/DA 101: Pulling the trigger on a weapon can do a single action, double action, or a combination of SA/DA depending on which weapon you're operating.

Single action (SA): pulling the trigger releases a hammer and fires the weapon. You have to physically cock the weapon before you pull the trigger, or else the gun won't fire.

Double action (DA): pulling the trigger performs 2 functions. By pulling the trigger you both cock, and fire the weapon. The weapon should not be able to fire unless the trigger is pulled. There's no "pre-cocking" of a hammer necessary to fire such a weapon. In fact it's not possible to cock such a weapon....unless you pull the trigger.

SA/DA: take for example a revolver. You can just pull the trigger (without cocking the hammer back) and by pulling the trigger the hammer is brought rearward into the cocked position, and the sear is released firing the weapon. When you JUST pull the trigger you're firing in a DA....the trigger is performing 2 functions simultaneously.

Take the same revolver, but first cock the hammer back before pulling the trigger. By cocking the hammer you've manually performed the first action, and by pulling the trigger you're only performing one action (SA) which fires the gun.

There are autoloader/semi-automatic handguns that are DA/SA. Take for example the Sig Sauer 229. THe first time you pull the trigger it is DA; ie it cocks and fires the weapon. The second shot (and all subsequent shots fired) are single action. That is, the hammer remains cocked after each shot and pulling the trigger doesn't cock anything.....it only fires the weapon.

There are also DAO weapons. These are double action only....no way to pre-cock and will not fire in single action mode.

Typically single action triggers are easier to pull, or have light trigger pulls. DA triggers are usually heavier and harder to pull. There's the BASIC differences.

I hope I explained that well enough to make it clear as mud. ;) :D

Spyder
03-08-07, 12:48 PM
Sounds good to me...and probably better than I'd have been able to explain. :)

nickc50310
03-08-07, 02:38 PM
Rolex knows his shit. Listen to him! Stay away from the gun forums before you purchase. All you will get on glocktalk is "Glock is the leet". Same for others.

I have a Springfield XD 40 cal stainless. I LOVE IT!! It is very reliable and has had no problems at all. I once fired over 2k rounds through it without any type of cleaning. NO OIL, NO NOTHING! fired flawlessly the whole time. My friend mustve been gripping it different than me as he got a couple of ejected shell casings stuck in his afro! LOL!!

Glock is also a great pistol and is as good as the Springfield XD. Glock has a different grip than the xd and some find it to be unconfortable. The grip on glock is fine for me but my xd is better for my taste.

Go to the store and hold em. Also, some ranges have rentals. Renting and test firing is the best bet! Good luck. Glad to see you exercising your rights to defend yourself and your family ReyRey! :thumbsup:

Spyder
03-08-07, 02:58 PM
I definately agree with Rolex on the point that ANY gun dealer is going to steer your towards HIS favorite, no matter what YOUR purpose is going to be. Don't listen to 'em, stick with one of the major, well known manufacturers, stay away from cheapies, buy what YOU like.

Me, I'm a Sig guy. Love them. Glock's I can't stand. BUT, I will admit Glocks ARE a great weapons platform, for the right person and situation, they just don't fit my "style."

lawfive
03-08-07, 04:58 PM
I've been wanting to move to a .40 for a while. But my little Browning HP 9mm feels so right (grip, weight, aim) for me that I haven't switched.

Hope I don't have to stop what I hit some night...

Spyder
03-08-07, 05:25 PM
Your 9 will stop anything a .40 will... ... ...

(lets not argue on this!)

CIWS
03-08-07, 06:12 PM
What you shoot is nowhere near as important as where you shoot. (accuracy)

I'm a Sig man.

dkozloski
03-08-07, 06:30 PM
If you're after reliability you just can't beat a good revolver. I've carried a model 1950 .44 target S&W in the woods in Alaska for 50 years and it has never let me down. With the 240 gr. Keith bullet and 18.5gr. of Hercules 2400 powder it was the prototype for the .44mag. but at lighter weight. The proof of the puddding is in the eating.

Sinister Angel
03-08-07, 07:23 PM
I personally hate external safeties. Glock is my handheld boomstick of choice.

Rolex
03-08-07, 09:24 PM
Your 9 will stop anything a .40 will... ... ...

(lets not argue on this!)

:yeah: I couldn't agree with Spyder more. Statistically there's little difference between the stopping power of 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.....I don't care what anyone tells you. I've seen accounts of law enforcement engaging someone with 9mm and shooting them 15 times, and the perp lives to sue them. I've see the exact same senario happen with a 45 ACP. Some men are just sturdy.

Shot placement is everything with handgun rounds. So whatever you get practice with it early and often. If you're carrying a cannon but can't hit anything with it, it won't so you any good when the SHTF. ;)

Rolex
03-08-07, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah, I'm off this weekend for a 2 day rifle training course at APT Academy. I'll be training with my AR 15s and my pistols. The class only has 6 men enrolled so I'll try to take as many pics as I can and post them for you guys.

Spyder
03-09-07, 01:09 AM
SWEET! What's it costing you and do they take out of staters? :D

eBigrich
03-09-07, 10:06 AM
I dont discriminate :) !!!

Spyder
03-09-07, 01:55 PM
Haha...I've got the same SKS, but with a cheap ass flimsy knife bayonet. I hate the plastic stock and need to get rid of it 'cause I'm in California...

Where's your Sig?! :)

Sinister Angel
03-09-07, 02:01 PM
What model glocks do you have?