: new member but need help, Cant pass smog, emissions

Southern Belle
03-07-07, 06:17 AM
heyal,

i'm trying to do some searching to help my son with his 81' fleetwood brougham.

he's been trying to get it to pass smog but so far it won't pass. the engine light is on and i think he said the emissions are too high. he is not a mechanic and is learning as he goes using manuals etc....am extremely impressed for all he's learned.

i'm not sure the details except that the smog guy said that until the engine light is off and the emissions corrected its going to fail.

he's replaced parts and chips and looking for codes? :confused: lol i couldn't tell whats what lmao i can't even change a flat tire so please bare with me and excuse my ignorance.

can anyone help on advice of what and where to look? DMV only gives so long for extensions. [California]

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
southern belle

Gwokable
03-07-07, 10:44 AM
The ECM (Electronics/Engine control module) sets codes that will tell you what readings are out of whack. When the program it's running finds something amiss, like wierd activity from the oxygen sensor or unusual readings from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) it'll set the check engine light. If he's got an 81 he's got a C4 system that doesn't store codes, but if I do remember correctly he's got a diagnostics mode so what he needs to do is get a manual for that and read off the codes. A lot of the time, you'll check the component and find it's broken. If the computer is borked junkyards have replacements usually.

Aside from that, his setup is going to have a lot less electrical stuff in it than a later model like mine.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/5-0-5-7/94176-efe-system-wierdness-88-brougham-307-a.html

Most broughams from my understanding have anywhere between 6-8 closed vacuum systems. Best thing you can do for him is get him a dealer service manual for the exact year of car. E-bay usually has them.

PragB
03-07-07, 03:47 PM
A little bit of denatured alcohol in the gas maybe??

LAC-MAN
03-08-07, 08:48 PM
Try Searching The Previous Posts For Instructions On How To Pull The Trouble Codes. (thats Why The Check Engine Light Is On) Post Back The Codes And Someone Here Can Help You Out A Little Bit More.

N0DIH
03-09-07, 01:02 AM
I have posted in great detail on how to correct most emissions issues. Check this forum and the FWD and 4.1/4.5/4.9 forums for posts that I have posted. Sorry, there is too much to post again... I am just to tired tonight!

Southern Belle
08-21-09, 08:41 PM
heyal,

the ecu is unplugged and idle speed control and the throttle position sensor are in error. they said because of the light being on they wouldn't even try to smog it, they refused too.

thank you,
southern belle

drmenard
08-21-09, 09:59 PM
From what you said in your last post, those things are disconnected, this must be a V6 buick 4.1 motor with a carb...this is not a complated system..If your going to sell it, I would do just that... it won't be worth all the trouble to fix it ,and what are you going to get for it ? If it is a buick motor, than it has a th200 4r transmission and a 3.23 rear end...

sven914
08-22-09, 12:18 AM
The first thing you have to do is plug the ECU back in and see if it still works. To pull DTC's from it, once it is connected, follow this link (http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html#1980) (use the 80's diagnostic procedure and then follow the link at the end of that section to decode the codes).

If the ECU is not working when it is plugged back in, then it is not worth the repair. The ECU is the most expensive and hardest to find. Everything else is just parts and simple repairs.

CaddyDog
08-25-09, 03:50 PM
Try getting the State to pay for smog repairs upto $500 if you qualify! You may be able to get a 2 year waiver also! Check this website out: :thumbsup:

BAR.CA.GOV