: Remember the Chrysler Imperial concept? Its coming, sorta.

Jesda
03-07-07, 01:54 AM
http://wardsauto.com/ar/chrysler_imperial_plant/

Chrysler Imperial Gets Royal Flush From CAW Plant

By Eric Mayne - WardsAuto.com, Mar 2, 2007 9:20 AM

Workers at Chrysler Group’s assembly plant in Brampton, ON, Canada, have thrown a monkey wrench into the embattled auto maker’s long-term product plans.

Brampton workers rejected a company proposal that asked them to forfeit $115 per week in return for the contract to build a vehicle, dubbed ‘Product X’ for purposes of the vote. However, Ward’s learns the vehicle is the contentious Chrysler Imperial sedan, and production is targeted for 2010.

The wages in question represent extra pay negotiated by the Canadian Auto Workers union as compensation for concessions such as shortened break times, which were necessary to accommodate the plant’s transition to three 8-hour shifts in 2005. Presently, Brampton workers perform eight hours of labor, but they are paid for eight hours and 48 minutes.

Had they approved the deal, as recommended by CAW leaders, Brampton workers also would have ensured their plant would remain on a 3-shift production schedule past 2009.

The Feb. 19 vote, decided by a margin of 1,464 to 1,157, leaves Chrysler’s proposal “dead in the water,” warns Jerry Dias, national CAW representative at the Brampton plant.

“Is it unfortunate? You’d better believe it,” says Bob Chernicki, assistant to CAW President Buzz Hargrove. “Is it the wrong way to do it? Absolutely. We are disappointed in the decision. But hey, that’s democracy. And that’s what works in our union.”

Of Chrysler, Chernicki says: “We’re waiting for their reaction.”

http://wardsauto.com/ar/chrysler_imperial_plant/

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ellwynx/DSCF0739sm.jpg

Sandy
03-07-07, 09:15 AM
Most of these "Automotive Journalists" are so damn "Car-Dumb" it's sickening. If you obtian photos or a MOPAR historical book, you can go all the way back to 1954 ("only" 53 years ago) and you'll NEVER find an Imperial with the "CHRYSLER" nameplate any where on it ! Nor can anyone ever find an advertisment since the early fifties for the Imperial, wherein it's called a "Chrysler Imperial" ! As a matter of fact, in the late 1960s it was a seperate franchise, and not all Chrysler-Plymouth dealers sold Imperials.
You never hear anyone call it a "General Motors Cadillac" or a "Ford Motor Company Lincoln" ~ do you?
"A witness said that the hold up man escaped in a Ford Motor Company Lincoln" ...... So, why do these writers constantly insist upon calling it a Chrysler Imperial. If a person ever LOOKS at the MSO ("Manufactuerer's Statement of Origin") of an Imperial, under BRAND, it will say IMPERIAL, period.
It was never included in the Chrysler brochures, and Chryslers were never in the Imperial brochures. The VIN prefix was totally different, as well. Imperial was always the "Y" body, no Chrysler was ever christened the "Y" Body.
Slays me, how stupid these "Automotive" Journalists really are, of things "car" ~

Spyder
03-07-07, 10:47 AM
:stirpot: The sign in the picture says "Chrysler Imperial":stirpot:

OffThaHorseCEO
03-07-07, 10:54 AM
hey it looks alot MORE like a phantom, maybe its the rolls royce imperial hehe

i kno what you mean tho sandy

Sandy
03-07-07, 12:27 PM
Yes, that's true, it does say chrysler - but look how tiny it dispays that. THAT is done so that the ill-informed journalists, who were there in mass know who the heck makes it. Otherwise, they'd write it up as a Acura Imperial or something similiar. If made, you can be sure it will not say Chrysler on it.....but.....then again...... those running the Corp. today, many of whom are transplants from Mercedes in Germany, have equally little clue as to most American makes heritage - so...ya there is some chance the 2009 might just say Chrysler on it. I would not be surprised. But.... if they are gonna put Chrysler on it, in people's minds it's gonna compete with Mercury and Buick & Pontiac and not Lincoln or Caddy. There move.

Spyder
03-07-07, 12:47 PM
Yea, I know whatcha mean...I would not be the least bit surprised if it comes out saying Chrysler somewhere on it...and it would bother me some to see it...

Jesda
03-07-07, 03:49 PM
LOL, "Acura Imperial" -- Sandy, that just made me cringe.

Sandy
03-07-07, 08:25 PM
Rich Tokyo Leather, the power of a 3.2 V-6 coupled to front wheel drive and an aluminum driveshaft. Luxury features such as
* One Touch Power Windows
* Power Seat for Driver
* Air Conditioning
* Rear Electric Defroster
* Bias Ply Tires
* Optional Automatic Transmission

The folks doing this Imperial need to study the convenience features as outlined in the 1964-1969 Imperial brochures.

IMPORTANT tihings like 4 ash trays with illumination,
Hinged Glove pockets in each door, with Illumination
Dual Glove Compartment Illumination
Detachable under hood illumination
Wool Carpeting
Pivitol rear seat reading lamps
Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel with rim squeeze to blow horn
Leather door panels
Zippered back of front seat pockets

So many kool little touches, everywhere. Footrests in the back, too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-07-07, 08:50 PM
IMPORTANT tihings like 4 ash trays with illumination,
Hinged Glove pockets in each door, with Illumination
Dual Glove Compartment Illumination
Detachable under hood illumination
Wool Carpeting
Pivitol rear seat reading lamps
Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel with rim squeeze to blow horn
Leather door panels
Zippered back of front seat pockets

So many kool little touches, everywhere. Footrests in the back, too.

Touche, Sandy, Touche. Those 60's-70's Imperials had so many neat little things that made them stand out from the Caddys and Lincolns. It seems as though chrysler's engineering paid a lot more attention to detail than GM's or Ford's did.

Most of these "Automotive Journalists" are so damn "Car-Dumb" it's sickening. If you obtian photos or a MOPAR historical book, you can go all the way back to 1954 ("only" 53 years ago) and you'll NEVER find an Imperial with the "CHRYSLER" nameplate any where on it ! Nor can anyone ever find an advertisment since the early fifties for the Imperial, wherein it's called a "Chrysler Imperial" ! As a matter of fact, in the late 1960s it was a seperate franchise, and not all Chrysler-Plymouth dealers sold Imperials.
You never hear anyone call it a "General Motors Cadillac" or a "Ford Motor Company Lincoln" ~ do you?

I've heard them called "Chrysler Imperials" where I work too, but I think it's easier to call them Chrysler Imperials nowadays at least because a lot of us weren't around when Imperial was big and known before they died in '75.

Sandy
03-07-07, 09:07 PM
Let me tell you, with that 440 Cu. In. T.N.T. V-8 uinder hood, hooked up to the 3-Speed Torqueflite Auto Tranny with the 3.90:1 gears and the Sure Grip Differential THEY MOVED !! ESPECIALLY the 1967 & 1968s, when they kept the same running gear and lost mega weight ! Oh, well, good to dream a bit...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-07-07, 09:14 PM
Damn, a 390 rear end coupled with the 440's torque! Damn!

Sandy
03-07-07, 10:30 PM
and they had TRUE REAL dual exhausts, but, politely, they did not stick out visibly out back

Sandy
03-08-07, 11:57 AM
Oh ya, Spyder~ I know you're messin 'round wit me :) :tisk: :)

I~LUV~Caddies-8792 .... Back when I was growing up .... No doubt pre-historic, to you.... there were 5 Luxury cars. There were NO imported cars - except for a handful of Renaults - Those 5 Luxury Cars were:

Cadillac (the #1 seller)
Lincoln (the #2 seller)
Imperial (the #3 seller)
Packard (the #4 seller)
Hudson (the #5 seller)

Hudson left us first, they were an independant, followed by Packard, part of the Studebaker-Parkard company. Hudson left us in 1953 (I am pretty sure) and Packard left in 1957. Imperial first left in 1975, then returned in 1981 to 1983 and left again and finally returned again in 1990 thru 1993. Since 1993 there have been none.

I was born in 1947. Our #1 entertainment was watching a 14" screen black & white TV and sitting close so we could change the station.
Ben Frankin & I were in the 1st grade, together :rant2:

OffThaHorseCEO
03-08-07, 12:38 PM
i didnt meet ben personally until 7th grade, but he was such a good friend, i invited his friend Jackson over, theyve been with me ever since

Sandy
03-08-07, 04:36 PM
Ha >>> "Age 23" {{:) }} Shakes head, a mear babe in da woods.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-08-07, 06:37 PM
hehehe i was talkin about my papermates

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-07, 11:23 PM
I~LUV~Caddies-8792 .... Back when I was growing up .... No doubt pre-historic, to you.... there were 5 Luxury cars. There were NO imported cars - except for a handful of Renaults - Those 5 Luxury Cars were:

Cadillac (the #1 seller)
Lincoln (the #2 seller)
Imperial (the #3 seller)
Packard (the #4 seller)
Hudson (the #5 seller)

I suppose back then either BMW and M-B were not heard of by the mainstream, or if you drove one, you were viewed as a nazi sympathizer. I didn't know Hudson was a luxury car, I always thought they were middle of the road...kinda like a Chevy, Plymouth, Ford. Hah, ya learn something new every day though! :) As for Packard, I always thought they were huge in the '30s, but dwindled off in sales numbers, respect in the marketplace and luxury as the years went on. I guess I always though of them going pretty mid level by the time they left the market place in the late '50s.

jrose7004
03-08-07, 11:42 PM
Could they make it anymore boxy?

Sandy
03-09-07, 02:12 PM
I think that they are chasing the RR Phantom look, at least in silhouette, & center opening doors.