: What Can I Do To Tighten Up The Steering?

ZEUSROTTY
03-06-07, 10:25 PM
Just seems a little loose, and want in nice and snug... anyone make a harder bushing kit?

homer403
03-07-07, 12:34 PM
Good question :confused: . I have the same concern.

Also, have anyone else have a problem with the steering wheel being level when you drive (even after numerous wheel alignments)?

Drift-caddy
03-07-07, 05:27 PM
Also, have anyone else have a problem with the steering wheel being level when you drive (even after numerous wheel alignments)?

:confused: :confused: :alchi:

trukk
03-08-07, 11:03 AM
Slightly off topic, but...

I've wanted to make the steering require more effort for a long time.

2 Ways to do it:

#1: Smaller steering wheel. I'm not sure how this is possible, and still keep the airbag? If anyone knows how, this is probabaly easiest.

#2: Modify the magnasteer system on the car. This is the one that has kept me thinking.

First a quick magnasteer primer. My understanding of the system is, at slow speeds, a lead from the PCM (or one of the other control modules), sends current to the magnasteer unit, which adds powersteering boost/assist. The level of boost slowly levels out to none, as speed goes higher (don't recal the exact speed). Once beyond this predetermined speed, the current to the magnasteer reverses, and it starts adding negative boost (makes it harder than normal to add steering input).

I know the corvette guys, and others that have magnasteer (actualy I think we have magnasteer II), have wanted to 'stiffin' it up for a quite a while. According to searches I've done on this, At one point there was a PCM definable setting (soft, normal, stiff), although it appears that it was never actually able to be changed (even from a TechII). [If this is the case, I expect the GM lawyers came on the scene, and nix'ed this parameter.]

Since it would appear that a change like this can't be done via the PCM, I wonder if a simple in-line capacitor/resistor pair could be rigged up in line, to allow less current when going slow (making it take more steering input effort, while going slower), and then adding a bit of current when going fast (to again make it take a bit more effort).

I'm not an EE, or a radio shack dork. I don't even play one on TV. Does anyone have any input on my idea? would this be great/possible/resonable/unreasonable/supa-stupid? Feedback would be most appreciated.

I'd also bet if someone could come up with something like, this they could sell it !CAGS style (!MAGNASTEER ?), if it wasn;t a bunch o cash, and it was plug and play. I'd also expect there would be a significant market over in 'vette-land.

-Chris

BigEnos
03-08-07, 11:28 AM
More positive caster might do it, but magnasteer has a habit of deadening everything. I hate it on the LS1 camaros.