: My great NAV System! Tips

fast32vsts
03-06-07, 11:23 PM
I wonder why people are not able to work there Nav and Voice recognition System very easy. I did spend an hour or so with the manual in the driveway and all seems well, though I have only had the car three weeks.

Try talking firmly with no pause between words, seem to work well in my car.
Try not saying the word "Select",:tisk:

If you want to store Memory Settings just press the talk button and say "Set Driver One" then it will beep twice and Memory is set.

To recall a setting just say "Select driver one" one of the Few times I use the word select. No need to dive deep into the nav system.

Just grab the manual and a six pack when you have time and just go over the whole thing.:alchi:

Benjamin Simon
03-07-07, 12:09 AM
Maybe they have fixed some of the problems in the 07 STS.
I cannot wait to try all of the toys in my new to me 05!!

c5 rv
03-07-07, 07:53 AM
...Just grab the manual and a six pack when you have time and just go over the whole thing.:alchi:

I think we've found the secret to your success. It only responds to "schhhlect" rather than "Select". However, I don't think that an explanation that one has to have a blood alcohol level above 0.1 in order to successfully use the nav system will hold much water with the police or the courts.

ascariSTS
03-08-07, 12:29 PM
do you know that movie preview guy... that man's voice that appears in every movie preview... one of my friends' voice is very close to that voice... the VR system is responding to him very well...

and it's giving me "Pardons"....!!

Cajonkev
03-08-07, 04:05 PM
do you know that movie preview guy... that man's voice that appears in every movie preview...

Don LaFontaine...:bouncy:

ascariSTS
03-08-07, 05:07 PM
Don LaFontaine...:bouncy:

not sure.. dunno his name :)

jlmartin99
03-08-07, 05:48 PM
Greetings fast32vsts,

I have used my VR in my 2005 STS V8 from day 1. However, I very much did the same and sat down and read through and practiced every sing command and most of them worked. Some took several attempts, but now I use a number of commands and all is fine.

JLM

MOINEX
04-28-08, 10:41 PM
This probably sounds funny. In fact, I know it does. At the risk of sounding insane, here goes...

If you want the VR to work perfect, and I mean perfect, speak in a British accent. I found out one day when my wife and I were playing around with VR while waiting for our daughter to get out of school. We surmised that since the voice we were hearing was British that we should respond in kind. It works.

I told you it sounds crazy.

dhemrick
04-28-08, 11:42 PM
This probably sounds funny. In fact, I know it does. At the risk of sounding insane, here goes...

If you want the VR to work perfect, and I mean perfect, speak in a British accent. I found out one day when my wife and I were playing around with VR while waiting for our daughter to get out of school. We surmised that since the voice we were hearing was British that we should respond in kind. It works.

I told you it sounds crazy.

No, actually you are not crazy at all. That is exactly the way it is supposed to work. The car expects you to speak in the same voice you have selected. If you set it to Spanish, it will expect you to speak in Spanish.

However, there is no need to have the car set to speak with a British accent unless you just really prefer it or are British yourself. Simply set it to one of the American settings and it will respond much better to your American English VR commands.

jgrade
04-29-08, 04:25 PM
And don't forget to create your new address book and record voice tags, since they will be empty.

GarryW
04-29-08, 05:22 PM
The VR in my new 2008 STS-4 seems to work better with British sounding mans voice. But I don't have to speak with any type of an accent, just my inherited one which is what you get when your born and raised in Chicago. (But he doesn't understand "Da Bears" though) :D

The only other engish speaking voice to choose from is a woman, but she doesn't sound British at all. She won't listen to my commands very well either. I mentioned this problem to wife about her and she said "no comment"!
:helpless:

jgrade
04-29-08, 05:49 PM
You may have hit the nail on the head. I don't seem to have a problem with my Chi-Town accent, but my Kansas born wife can't get her to respond. Although it may be her phrasing, "You want I should wipe the dead bugs off your windshield" doesn't seen to evoke a response.

Your problem is that it's not Da Bears, it's Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears Da Bears...

dhemrick
04-29-08, 11:29 PM
My partner is from the midwest and has a "neutral American accent" while I'm from the south and have a slight southern accent. The irony is that even with the touch of drawl in my voice, I usually have more success with the VR than he does in both of our STSs.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Even my mom sometimes has a hard time telling us apart on the phone, so our voices are similar. He can say something several times and gets "pardon?" and I can say the same thing in the same way and it works for me the first time.

Maybe there are overtones to different peoples' voices that the human ear can't hear but the microphone picks up. I haven't been able to figure it out.

He says the car is kind of like me in that it isn't always good at listening when he's talking. :mad2:

MARKVIII
05-01-08, 05:44 PM
i don't even have a British mans voice option in my '05..i use American woman and talk slow and loud. it still sucks. i use it very sparingly. mainly two commands. set driver 1, radio select fm. its a shame really. half ass technology slapped together.