: Hood Install...Scanned the FAQ's But Did Not Find...

Chef
03-05-07, 10:36 AM
Carbon Fiber hood is here and I need to install it after I send it to get sprayed. Are there any install recipes out there? Honestly, I have not even looked at it to figure it out yet so I thought before I do I'd ask....If not I'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Chef

RamAir02
03-05-07, 10:46 AM
I don't know how much experience you have in this area, but I wouldn't want to install an aftermarket hood myself. I would let a body shop do it. Aftermarket parts never fit like stock parts, and there may be a need for shimming or shaving off parts of the hood.

I guess I'm not really being any help so I'll shut up now :LOL: but good luck to you and I hope it comes out ok.

RunningOnEMT
03-05-07, 11:07 AM
well here's what i did to put my composite hood on my lightning

one thing you have to remember is that composites especially CF are very rigid and do not like to bend all that much.

so here's the steps i took

1. remove hood struts
2. have a friend or two hold the hood while you unbolt the hood from the TOP of the hinges, leave the hinges connected to the car, its much easier to line up that way.
3. tape the ENTIRE edge of the fender and the hood, keeps it from scratching either on and if you use something like that flourescent green masking tape it provides a high contrast surface so you can judge margins better
4. lay the hood in place to see if it likes to sit flat, preferebly before you attach the hood latch so you don;t have to "lock" it in place
5. once you're pretty sure its going to fit close enough have some friends help you hold the hood up and connect it to the hinges with the Stock bolts, snug enough that it won't wiggle but not torqued down, still without the hood latch, close the hood and see how it lines up, make any neccessary adjustments and then tighten the bolts in place
6. connect your hood latch loop, then test fit that it might take some schmoozing to get it to close smoothly
7. reconnect your hood struts
8 HAVE FUN!!!!

*notes*

i would recommend getting the hood painted AFTER installing it on the car, its a little easier to blend if need be while its on the car that it needs to be matched to.

you might want to find some "weaker" hood struts, since the CF hood is lighter it doesnt need as much force to hold it up, and if its not as strong vertically as the stocker the stock hood struts may cause it to bulge, deform, and eventually spiderweb the paint and/or crack the hood

ryneV
03-05-07, 11:47 AM
You need to test fit and mount it BEFORE you send it to paint.

Chef
03-05-07, 01:40 PM
You need to test fit and mount it BEFORE you send it to paint.

Yes, this is a must before hand...

RunningOnEMT
03-05-07, 02:06 PM
see if i put the effort in to make any more lists... lol

Chef
03-05-07, 02:16 PM
good list - :thumbsup:

thx,
co

RunningOnEMT
03-05-07, 02:23 PM
:rofl:

i'm just extremely bored at work...amusing myself..ignore me

v-ape
03-05-07, 04:09 PM
Its not too hard, I swapped out a Jetta/Golf front end (they switched fronts). The hardest part is lining up the hood, the biggest help is having another person or 2. 2 to hold the hood, 1 to align it and tighten down the bolts. Its an itterative process, but shouldnt take you more than 1hr if you have help... by yourself would be insane.