: How to: more than quadruple the range of your car remote(fast & free too)

weister42
03-04-07, 08:25 PM
I got fed up with the weak remote range with my 1998 Deville and I decided to "fix" it. The box circled in red is the remote receiver, I know this because my car stops responding to my remote when I unplugged it. You have to remove your rear seat in order to get access(refer to my upcoming stereo guide in the audio/video section), the entire job takes about half an hour, you'll need any kind of thin wire(20~16 gauge) and a way to attach wire to a piece of conducting metal. I just used a broken clock's powercord and two small crimp connectors in my toolbox.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/weister42/Home%20and%20Car%20Audio/1998%20Cadillac%20Deville%20How%20To/IMG_0942remote.jpg

Once the seat is removed you can pop this little box off easily by pressing the two top plastic tabs downward. Flip it over and you'll see a small metal clip - that is the receiver's antenna. Simply crimp or solder a piece of wire to each end and you're done. The range of the improvement depends on the length of your wires and where you put them, I crimped two 20" pieces of typical lamp wires to each end and evenly ran them horizontally and around the black rack. I now can lock my car in my room, my car is more than 50 feet away and there are four walls between us.:thumbsup:

As for exactly how far you can extend the range, technically if you run enough wires in your car or used an actual powered radio antenna you can probably boost the range to over 100 feet. Just make sure you don't press it accidentally.

codewize
03-04-07, 10:32 PM
I think this was posted once before.

However, thanks for the info and pics

eyekandyboats.inc
03-04-07, 10:42 PM
better idea. try this out
walk until it is out of range. make sure it is and then press the remote to your head and hit the trunk release. 100% of the time it will open. . . i have done it from 120 feet away. and there is zero labor involvd

xxpinballxx
03-05-07, 05:49 PM
I don't see why I would want to unlock my car before I even get to where i can see it....I would rather it not unlock until I am about to open the door....

CadillacSTS42005
03-05-07, 06:17 PM
its a coolness factor...

92EldoTC
03-06-07, 03:30 PM
thats probably why they made the remotes able to work only at limited range just in case you press it on accident or being too far from the car and unlocking it so someone else has a chace of getting in.

eyekandyboats.inc
03-06-07, 03:38 PM
any one try this out yet ( head to remote )

Mark Bunds
03-08-07, 04:14 AM
The head to remote trick really does work. I heard, though, that you were supposed to open your mouth and plant the remote firmly under your chin, then press a button. I have done this from 200 feet away in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Amazing!

weister42
03-08-07, 07:50 PM
Well maybe it's my car but my remote reception is especially bad, sometimes my car won't respond even if I stand next to the car, probably because I removed those foil antenna strips. Besides the accidental button pressing, if I forget where I parked I can press the lock button and my horn would sound, so it's a trade-off for the better in my situation.

btw can someone let me in on the forehead remote thing? I don't get it:confused:

N0DIH
03-09-07, 08:32 AM
Can you get some addition feet if you stick your tongue out too?

My Fleetwood RKE range is around 10 feet. Pathetic. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but there are times I would like to be able to open it for the kids and not leave the house to do it.

I think the FW is similar to the write up you posted. Thanks! Now as long as I don't keep coming out to my car with the trunk open because I sat on my keys I am good!

EcSTSatic
03-13-07, 02:51 PM
For some reason the remote control topic just begs a jocular response as evidenced by a similar post.
I like to be closer to my car when I activate the remote. I know I've accidently opened the trunk, gas cap etc when putting my keys in my pocket. I'd rather be close enough to notice it.

Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/electrical-technical-information/68372-keyless-entry-range.html?highlight=range

urbanski
03-13-07, 04:06 PM
jokes aside, the FOB to chin really works.

eyekandyboats.inc
03-14-07, 07:55 PM
lol we know

greg-sls
06-29-07, 06:36 PM
Hi Wiester42,
I have the same problem with my 97 Seville. I like your concept and plan on trying this with my car. What I dont know how to do is remove the back of the back seat. It is leather and I don't want to damage it. Can you post more instructions on how to remove the seatback?
Thanks - Greg

urbanski
06-29-07, 07:11 PM
Hi Wiester42,
I have the same problem with my 97 Seville. I like your concept and plan on trying this with my car. What I dont know how to do is remove the back of the back seat. It is leather and I don't want to damage it. Can you post more instructions on how to remove the seatback?
Thanks - Greg

you should ask in Seville.
this forum is not for questions
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/55401-do-not-post-questions-here-they.html

greg-sls
07-06-07, 06:34 PM
Weister42: I'm going to try the antenna extension trick you posted as my RKE is pathetic too. I can be right up to the car and press unlock over and over turning the darn remote in all directions before it works. Yes - the batteries are new too. My 91 Eldo was fantastic and one press 40 feet away always worked.
I also want to see if I can access the "box" from the trunk. There is a felt panel that easily removes revealing all kinds of components hidden behind the rear seat. That would be easier than taking the back seat out.

nicbrown
08-07-07, 02:51 AM
btw can someone let me in on the forehead remote thing? I don't get it
Answer:
The oral cavity in your skull amplifies the signal.

eyekandyboats.inc
09-04-07, 07:03 PM
just press it to your forehead and it will have more range.

N0DIH
09-04-07, 08:28 PM
Takes too many brain cells away and I might forget to take it off my forehead.....

TSS
09-06-07, 11:31 AM
any one try this out yet ( head to remote )

Yes it works. I have been amazing people with it for years. I just hold it to my temple (like I am shooting myself with it). I Used to do the chin, open mouth thing, but found it was the same as the temple (which does not draw as much attention). Both work though.

99esteees
09-10-07, 09:22 PM
lol the famous meat mod.

MisterBlue
11-20-07, 07:16 PM
Don't know why, but my '98 would only work from about 30 feet, and you had to be "broadside" to the vehicle. My '05 will lock/unlock from 250-300 feet (easily), and the "panic" button will work even further!

The biggest asset to this capability is how easy it makes it to find the car in a large parking lot or garage.

hthorn
03-21-08, 07:08 PM
The remote-to-the-head trick is not fiction--it works! I have to do this with a gate opener. It's nothing to do with the car itself, but I've found holding the fob up to my temple increases the range enough to get the gate to open. Before I was advised of this trick I used to have to hold the fob 3" from the receiver's antenna. Even after I replaced the battery, of course!

keelerdr
03-09-10, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the tip (the actual extension of the receiver's antenna by adding wire to the box behind the seat)!

The mouth/temple thing works because the transmitter is using you as an antenna to send the signal. I learned the chin thing a while back from a friend who used to valet cars. Same principle when you touch an FM antenna on a boom box...it will use you as an antenna (on the receiving side this time, rather than the sending side like the key fob was using) to improve reception.

Not sure of the health effects of either...but who cares.