: 2004 SRX growing list of problems

itwonder
03-04-07, 10:42 AM
At least it seems like it. Good News: The first 2-1/2 years were virtually flawless. Bad News: Approaching 3 years and 35,000 miles we're having nothing but problems:

1. Occasionally key hangs in ignition and won't come out. Related to this is sometimes driving along miscellaneous dashboard warnings will come on: traction control light, etc.

- Dealer, Moore Cadillac, replaced battery. Did not help.

2. Check Vehicle Theft System message occasionally comes on.

3. Check gas cap message came on. Cap was fine. Came on a 2nd time. Cap was fine. Check engine light came on and has stayed on.

4. Front shocks are going.

5. This morning, my wife started it and there was a loud squeal, like a belt squeal on an old V-belt equipped car. Lasted about 30 seconds and went away.

Moore's Service Dept. has been excellent to work with, and they certainly have quite a list for the next visit

I am SO glad we leased this thing instead of buying it. I wish it was not true, but it still seems like one cannot buy a car from an American company and get reliability. Lease ,so you can give the pig back without losing your shirt.

BW, this vehicle is garage kept, adult driven, and babied. All highway and suburban miles.

pagpc
03-04-07, 11:05 AM
you are dead on correct. i leased. glad i did. car has not aged nicely. i try american about every 3rde lease, just to give a fair chance. always sorry i did. what a shame.

pagpc

jrose7004
03-04-07, 11:09 AM
I've had 10 straight years or American car ownership and I haven't had a days worth of trouble with any of them. Are you talking about Bob Moore Cadillac in OKC or a Moeer Cadilaac elsewhere?

Cadboy425
03-04-07, 03:45 PM
I leased this Cadillac also and I am glad I did just wish it was for a shorter term (48 months). My last new Cadillac was a 1995 SLS that had its fair shair of problems (the most serious being a new transmission at 45k). My SRX only has 17k but has not aged nicely at all either. I am just counting down the months and next car will not be american.

syrob@MSN.COM
03-04-07, 09:12 PM
At least it seems like it. Good News: The first 2-1/2 years were virtually flawless. Bad News: Approaching 3 years and 35,000 miles we're having nothing but problems:

1. Occasionally key hangs in ignition and won't come out. Related to this is sometimes driving along miscellaneous dashboard warnings will come on: traction control light, etc.

- Dealer, Moore Cadillac, replaced battery. Did not help.

2. Check Vehicle Theft System message occasionally comes on.

3. Check gas cap message came on. Cap was fine. Came on a 2nd time. Cap was fine. Check engine light came on and has stayed on.

4. Front shocks are going.

5. This morning, my wife started it and there was a loud squeal, like a belt squeal on an old V-belt equipped car. Lasted about 30 seconds and went away.

Moore's Service Dept. has been excellent to work with, and they certainly have quite a list for the next visit

I am SO glad we leased this thing instead of buying it. I wish it was not true, but it still seems like one cannot buy a car from an American company and get reliability. Lease ,so you can give the pig back without losing your shirt.

BW, this vehicle is garage kept, adult driven, and babied. All highway and suburban miles.

It is the computer, there is a known BUG that keeps car from starting, key from comming out. Thinks it is stolen etc. HAD MY CPU REPLACED!!

SYROB

b4z
03-04-07, 09:25 PM
Here's mine.
RWD V6
Built 01/04.
Leased 03/04

In no particular order:
Camshaft went bad at 1400 miles.
Left side rear window off track.
Chugging at slow speeds, cpu & transmission reprogrammed.
Wouldn't start. Theft deterrent system reprogrammed.
Mufflers blew insulation out @ 30K. Entire new exhaust system.
Water in spare tire area. New carpet and gaskets sealed.
Left rear side seat belt wouldn't retract.

That's all that I remember.

Leasing is good. mmkay.
SRX's don't hold up well. mmkay.

But i will LEASE another.

GMJim
03-06-07, 08:25 AM
I leased this Cadillac also and I am glad I did just wish it was for a shorter term (48 months). My last new Cadillac was a 1995 SLS that had its fair shair of problems (the most serious being a new transmission at 45k). My SRX only has 17k but has not aged nicely at all either. I am just counting down the months and next car will not be american.

Enjoy your new Japmobile. Hope your new Sony TV fits in the back.

itwonder
03-15-07, 09:39 AM
Here's an update. The car has been in the repair shop at Moore Cadillac in Chantilly, VA since 3/5/07. The key hung and the vehicle refused to start. After about 50 tries, it finally did start and the wonderful thing is the problem persisted so the Service Manager was able to see it. The first computer ordered was apparently the wrong one and it took over a week for them to locate and receive the right computer. GM parts should do better. It was being installed yesterday, and they wil be moving on to the other problems. It annoys me to no end that if this is a known problem that the Computer was not replaced when the problem first appeared back in December.

OTOH, the redeeming part of all of this is Moore Cadillac chantilly is treating me like a valued customer. They have provided a brand new DTS loaner car. Thank goodness. I am enjoying the DTS more than our SRX. It is more fun to drive, despite being a little soft. It has averaged 20 MPG in suburban driving (calculated at fillup, not by computer). Our V6 AWD SRX averages 17 in the same driving. The DTS has more legroom and the seats are much more comfortable. The DTS's controls are strange and illogical compared to the SRX.

chiefmjk
03-15-07, 10:25 AM
FYI - 2006 SRX with 21,000 problem free miles. :) :) :)

b4z
03-15-07, 12:47 PM
itwonder,

I have the reverse opinion of the DTS, too soft and poor structural rigidity.
It was very archaic feeling.
The seats are comfy but the SRX's are comfy long term.
I much prefer the directness and handling of the SRX.
The DTS did get me 19.9mpg in the city.
My V6 SRX is under 17mpg.

caddycruiser
03-15-07, 02:59 PM
Just goes to show, as with any relatively expensive and complex vehicle, you really are better off leasing and then just turning it back in. Not that all are problem-ridden, but there's a higher chance, and it happens with everyone--including Audi, BMW, MB, etc--and they're usually more complicated, smaller "buggy" kinds of issues. Cadillacs usually fair a bit better, since they're domestic and have a wider range of dealers, but again, things still happen.

tonygxp
03-15-07, 03:00 PM
my brothers brand new $34k Maxima has died on the hwy three times in less than 2 weeks, visiting the dealer every time unable to replicate the problem and no codes.... has nothing to do with American cars.. they're ALL THE SAME..

Even Toyota, I could tell you stories about almost every brand there is as I know someone that had it and had its issues now and then, including me. as well as owning an American car and never going back to the dealer, nowadays with the amount of technology in a new vehicle it's bound to have issues, tens of thousands of parts..

caddycruiser
03-15-07, 03:02 PM
my brothers brand new $34k Maxima has died on the hwy three times in less than 2 weeks, visiting the dealer every time unable to replicate the problem and no codes.... has nothing to do with American cars.. they're ALL THE SAME..

Even Toyota, I could tell youstories about almost every brande there is as I knw someone that had it and had its issues now and then, including me. as well as owning an American car and never going back to the dealer, nowadays with the amount of technology in a new vehicle it's bound to have issues, tens of thousands of parts..

Exactly, just as I said in my previous post. You certainly have a better chance of a more reliable or better built vehicle from some marques, but all still have some level of potential issues--especially even vaunted brands like Toyota (lots of build quality things lately), Honda (various things), and the like.

Cars are extremely complex, and coming from an engineer in the making, the fact that most are as fault free as they are is astounding enough sometimes:thumbsup:

King3244
03-16-07, 12:10 AM
Ditto on b4z comments. I always wanted a DTS to replace my STS. Got the SRX instead and had a DTS loaner while my SRX was in for some warranty work! Cured me in about one day........and my wife says alright to that. Soon as I got in the DTS I put the seat down as low as it would go so that I could barely see over the steering wheel.......LOL!

itwonder
03-16-07, 05:22 PM
Latest status. They replaced:
Ignition switch
Dash integration module
ECM

With new ECM, gas cap error did not reoccur during diagnostics, which means it will probably reoccur next time I'm going down the highway. Annoys me they did not go ahead and replace the $10 gas cap.

They are working on the belt squeal at cold start issue. Cleaning pulleys and belt.