: 93 Northstar engine question

RWALSH5
03-04-07, 12:36 AM
I've got a 93 eldorado touring coupe,with the northstar 32 valve engine,I know they have had their problems,my question is,could the oil pump freeze up and cause the engine not to turn over? I know its obvious that if the oil pump failed that it probably spun and froze a bearing but could a froze oil pump cause it to not turn over? I was told the previous owner was driving the car and broke down,and couldn't get it started if the engine froze while it was being driven would the oil smell burnt up? I tried to get it to start but it just clicks I didn't really have a good battery just a charged jumper box, any suggestions would be great thanks.

dkozloski
03-04-07, 01:08 AM
The oil pump is turned directly by the crankshaft. One oil pump driven element is pinched between the vibration dampner and the front of the crankshaft. If the dampner bolt came loose the oil pump stops turning. Cut the oil filter apart. If the bearings burned up it will be full of babbit bearing metal. Try turning the engine with a breaker bar on the crankshaft dampner bolt.

RWALSH5
03-04-07, 01:49 AM
thanks I will,it doesn't smell burnt up I will cut that filter tomorrow what would you think if I can't turn the engine and the filter is clean?

Ranger
03-04-07, 06:09 PM
My money is on the battery or cables. I don't think we have ever heard of an oil pump problem.

RWALSH5
03-04-07, 06:49 PM
I thank you all for your responses,I have found the problem the problem is the mounting ears on the torque converter have broken off and wore the flexplate to the point of the bolts hitting the starter and not allowing the engine to turn so now I have to pull the trans and replace the torque and flex plate.