: traction on cold asphalt?

Albertan
03-03-07, 08:07 PM
I have only been driving when the roads are dry but cold. I have the stock RSA's. Weather anywhere from 25F at night to 38F sunny. I find if I step on it just slightly in second gear it immediately breaks the wheels loose. Today I shifted into second and was going to change lanes and stepped on it and I got wheel hop as well. Do the RSA's need hot or at least warm asphalt to get any traction? I've been driving like I'm on ice. Had it break loose in 3rd as well but it might have been slightly wet.
Bruce

Thello
03-03-07, 08:29 PM
The stocks are not good below 50 degrees. They are impressive on warm however. Able to pull >1g (according to the g-force meter) on a few occasions. You will still get some wheel hop however.

I've got M3s on now. Much better on cold, but man I cannot wait to put back on the summer tires.

Slaigher
03-03-07, 09:27 PM
RSA runflats, I haven`t been able to open it up at all in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd around town without wheel hop or breaking loose. Little bit colder here than where you are, but not much. I pretty much don`t go over 75% throttle...

ZEUSROTTY
03-03-07, 11:11 PM
running ps2's now and i do get good or at least better traction in cold weather, and i get horrible wheel hop in wet or any kind of snow...

Ak Jim
03-03-07, 11:59 PM
Hey Thello are those Dunlop M3s? How do they work? How many miles do you think they will be good for? And finally, howmuch are your summer tires and why? Thanks for the info. I should be going up the ALCAN the first week in April.

Albertan
03-04-07, 01:00 AM
slaigher
Not many of us from Alberta. I had non runflat RSA's on the CTS 3.6 and never noticed the lack of traction. Just goes to show that the V torque is something else. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't remember the same winter traction problems with my 68 Olds 442 4spd and that had a 3.90 rear and bias ply tires!
Just goes to show what 38 years of development can do. 38 years, well that just ruined my night.
Bruce

Slaigher
03-04-07, 09:01 AM
Albertan:
My 3.2 CTS was worse in the winter, not sure what tires it has though. The TC would kick in every time I started out. If I took TC off it spun way easier than the V. Winter mode helped a little though. It is frustrating to have to ease up on the throttle to avoid wheel hop, I never had wheel hop in the summer.

I`ve never owned a front wheel drive, and never had snow tires, basically just take it easy in the winter.

I`ve only seen one other V, at Don Wheatons getting a maggie installed. He was from Grand Prairie. Southpark salesman said they sold 70+ 2.8 CTS`s last year. I`ve seen maybe 5 CTS`s around town.

If you see a Stealth Grey V with a "Support Our Troops" sticker on the drivers side rear window driving around Calgary, give a honk and a wave. I make it down there every so often. Maybe 2 honks, its tough to hear things over the B&B :)

HiTechRV
03-04-07, 11:02 AM
I find that by running the F1's lower in pressure in cold weather the extra wheel flex warms up the tire after a few miles. Below freezing I drive with the pressure indicator up on the lower right display. WHen it has come up 3 psi I start to get a little traction.

I also added 80 lbs of weight into the spare compartment that helped traction and wheel hop a lot.

Still sucks but it is improved for winter driving. Sad to hear the RSA's are bad in the cold too. Does your TC kick in on a 3-4 firm shift?

Albertan
03-04-07, 12:51 PM
HiTech
Knowing that I have so little traction in second, I'm not planning to do any hard 3-4 shifts. It's one thing to be going sideways at 20 mph, a bit more exciting at 40-50. I'll wait until it is warmer.
Slaigher
I have only ever seen another V twice (Black) and that was quite some time ago. Met a guy with an STS-V yesterday though. Lives close and works closer.
I seen a fair number of CTS's here. I sold my insurance agent on getting a Black 2006 and he really likes it.
Bruce

RamAir02
03-05-07, 09:00 AM
There is such a thing as tractioin on cold asphalt? :lol:

ctsvflorida
03-05-07, 09:57 AM
The RSA's are just not good on these cars, I hate to tell ya! Warm weather won't be much better! Better, but still not good enough, you'll see.

GSD3's? Very good tire, warm or cold, wet or dry, when they are round! :thumbsup:

BeagleBrains
03-05-07, 11:17 AM
Running GS-D3s. Eastern Iowa temperatures will be the warmest of the last month, today up to 30F. It hops immediately in the first three gears. Driven a couple of weeks ago at -10F, the break-away is immediate with any applied throttle above slow motion. Not so drivable with any snow on the roar. Then we stick to the Jeep.
Hey! My new 2007 Corvette Convertible is to be delivered about noon today.
Triple Black, Z51, Paddle-Shift Auto.

daytripper
03-05-07, 11:17 AM
The RSA's are just not good on these cars, I hate to tell ya! Warm weather won't be much better! Better, but still not good enough, you'll see.

GSD3's? Very good tire, warm or cold, wet or dry, when they are round! :thumbsup:

Oh boy, it won't be long now until the defenders of the great RSA runflats show up to let it be known they are a great tire for the V...

Brian R.

ctsvflorida
03-05-07, 03:22 PM
Running GS-D3s. Eastern Iowa temperatures will be the warmest of the last month, today up to 30F. It hops immediately in the first three gears. Driven a couple of weeks ago at -10F, the break-away is immediate with any applied throttle above slow motion. Not so drivable with any snow on the roar. Then we stick to the Jeep.
Hey! My new 2007 Corvette Convertible is to be delivered about noon today.
Triple Black, Z51, Paddle-Shift Auto.

I have 275's in the rear, which shouldn't make a huge difference, but we had below freezing temps here numerous times this year already, and tonight as well, and very little hop unless banging gears hard! Either the 10-30 degree difference means that much or my car is just a slob! lol

Daytripper: Let's hope not! As we all know that if you desire 50k mile tires then the RSA's are great! If your not racing anyone, other than highway runs, then they are great too! Hey, if you like square tires you'll get the GSD3's like I did! There will be a debate on them all and we all know that each tire has good and bad points.

HiTechRV
03-05-07, 08:16 PM
I think these cars need 275's in the rear and they do help a lot. I'd love to try some out one day.

Albertan
03-06-07, 12:25 AM
When the RSA's are done, I'll probably switch to a Michelin tire. PS2's perhaps. I already put PS A/S on the CTS3.6 and they seem to have a lot of traction.
Good on ice and snow and don't hyroplane in vast quantities of water driving beside semis. Good thing too or I wouldn't be here!
Bruce

ctsvflorida
03-06-07, 08:00 AM
Squeezing the 275's on the stock rim doesn't keep all the tread on the ground but I guess it is more than the 245.

The PS2's seem to be a great tire as I have only heard good things about them. As far as hydroplaning, I will say one thing! While I do not drive in the rain much I was caught in some serious rain while driving up North for like 500 miles of heavy horrible rain and the GSD3's don't hydroplane at all! Keep in mind, 275's in rear! Funny thing was...I could have left anytime I wanted and thought I would drive through the rain for 50 miles or so but it literally followed me for 500 miles! The worst trip ever!