: 2004 V8 SRX - Synthetic Oil Question

nberg100k
03-02-07, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately the closest Caddy dealer could not fit me in for an oil change today and I am going out of town tomorrow. The only place open Saturday that I can go to is Jiffy Lube....I know, Jiffy Lube.

I called them and they said they use Penzoil Platinum Synthetic. Is this a safe switch from the Mobile 1 Synthetic I have been using? I couldn't find any information on whether or not Penzoil Platinum meets GM standards.

Approx. 32k on the vehicle right now.

Any help is very much appreciated.

jrose7004
03-02-07, 05:56 PM
Can't you buy the Mobil 1 from the auto parts store and have Jiffy Lube put it in for you?

billjesnen
03-02-07, 06:29 PM
the Mobil 1 web site has a locator for not only the Mobil 1 lube express, but gives an option for a local gas station that would change your oil.
http://clients.mapquest.com/mobil1/mqlocator?link=find&site=mobil1

louisn
03-02-07, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately the closest Caddy dealer could not fit me in for an oil change today and I am going out of town tomorrow. The only place open Saturday that I can go to is Jiffy Lube....I know, Jiffy Lube.

I called them and they said they use Penzoil Platinum Synthetic. Is this a safe switch from the Mobile 1 Synthetic I have been using? I couldn't find any information on whether or not Penzoil Platinum meets GM standards.

Don't do it unless it has GM approval on the bottle.:thehand: Mobil 1 and I think castrol Syn are approved. Not sure about Castrol but it I think it say so on the bottle. Penzoil may be OK but read the bottle to make sure.:eek:

n7don_srx
03-02-07, 07:48 PM
I've got a part container of 5W-30 Penzoil Platinum Synthetic. Label shows it meets or exceeds a number of standards including GM 4718M and 6094M.

nberg100k
03-02-07, 07:50 PM
I looked at the Mobil 1 locator map, and there really isn't one within 1 hr. drive. Unfortunately that doesn't look to be an option for me.

Im not sure about buying it somewhere and having them put it in, but Ill check with them.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys, it is appreciated.

nberg100k
03-02-07, 07:54 PM
I've got a part container of 5W-30 Penzoil Platinum Synthetic. Label shows it meets or exceeds a number of standards including GM 4718M and 6094M.

Ahh. Thanks, for the info.

Now Ill just have to see if they have a filter....

n7don_srx
03-02-07, 07:59 PM
A couple times when an oil change came due while we were on a trip I actually had it changed at Walmart. They'll use whatever oil they sell which includes Mobil 1. Their filter selection is a little skimpy so you may have to buy it somewhere else.

robhersch
03-02-07, 09:51 PM
Perhaps a Pep Boys or AutoZone would also be within your area; I would insist on Mobil 1 (although some folks recommend AmSoil ?) 5-30 full synthetic. Also recommend reading Motor Oils and Engine Lubrication.pdf by Dave Mann available on the internet.
My dealer's service invoice only lists: N*V8 (a) 7 1/2 qtS 00LS Full Synthetic oil (Mobil 1 ??) and (b) 89017342 Filter (which I physically checked & found to be A/C PF-61). I now go to an independent service with my own oil and filter !! Good Luck!!

jrose7004
03-02-07, 11:09 PM
Most quick change places around here will install oil you bring in. Fact is a couple of them carry Mobil 1. I have a C5 Corvette and have checked it out around here.

Smokin' SRX
03-03-07, 02:49 PM

All good advice! But don't go nuts! I learned in auto shop that all major synthetics are created basically equal!! Coke vs Pepsi kinda!

The more important issue is a quality filter! Not the "no-name" ones the fast lube shops sell!

Stick w/major oil co however! Don't know about Amsoil, but I'd bet it's fine!

05N*SRX
03-17-07, 01:59 PM
Royal Purple oil and the K&N hp-2006 oil filter here! Change it myself :)

n7don_srx
03-17-07, 04:03 PM
Royal Purple oil and the K&N hp-2006 oil filter here! Change it myself :)

The local Walmart had a few qts. of 5W-30 Royal Purple on the self. First time I ever seen it at a WM. It was around $6.60/qt +/-
Also saw a some Mobil 1 ATF, also a first at WM.

driley97
04-01-07, 09:26 PM
Let Walmart do it or do it yourself! I've changed mine in my 04 three times, takes about 30 minutes and saves me about $30.

Dick

jgn
04-04-07, 03:36 PM
Can you access the filter through the fender well or do you have to jack it up?