: loose drivers seat and vibration in rear

caddi2005sts
03-01-07, 05:46 PM
here goes....

I just bought a 2005 sts in december, had a lot of minor problems with it. So i decided to tackle the following (2):

The drivers seat is loose and the the dealer stated he tighted it. Now it still cracks a little when taking turns, he tells me its probably the cold.

The phamton noise in the back of the car. This is driving me nuts. When I accerate it sounds like a vibration and while driving (not accelerating) it sounds like rattling. The problem is it is not all the time. So I had a tech drive with me twice, he sits in the back seat and doesn't hear it. I don't hear it all the way home either. The next time i pull out of my garage there it is....?????

I have observed these (2) common problems, has anyone actually fixed them??? I traded in a 2000 sts and never had any problems like this. Am I just being a picky customer????

Jesda
03-02-07, 02:16 AM
Do a search on wiggling seats. There are a few good solutions in previous threads.

Does the noise sound like its coming from the rear differential?

ewill3rd
03-02-07, 06:09 AM
There is a bulletin regarding the loose seat bottoms.
It is an easy fix.

The second complaint, I haven't heard and can't really give you much based on your description.
Is it temperature sensitive? Maybe the dealer needs to keep the car overnight?

STS2002
03-02-07, 09:34 AM
Here's the TSB for the seat:

TSB Number : 06-08-50-010
Issued Sept 06
Description: Interior - Front Seat Cushion Pops/Creaks/Moves

uiwchris
03-12-07, 03:08 PM
I have the same phantom noise in the back of the car. it rattles and is very annoying over potholes....which are numerous here in Kansas City. It sounds like to me either a speaker is loose, or the entire back deck lid is loose. when someone sits in the backseat it goes away (pressure).

As far as the seat, my passenger one was wobbly..they took it apart and "fixed it". It now rattles uncontrollably. They said it was a loose piece of plastic, and "fixed it" again, but it still rattles when no one sits on the passenger side and it is colder than 50 degrees outside. They also cut the seat wires while doing everything. As far as the driver, mine creaks and pops when I go around turns. I weigh 250, and I just attribute it to poor design and being a big boy.

And you are not being a picky customer!

Curious George
03-13-07, 09:35 PM
I just had the TSB (06-08-50-010) repair done this morning. So far, so good.

rfhowell
03-19-07, 03:01 PM
I own an '05 STS w/ AWD...Heard a similar noise when driving at cruising speed and brought it in...I was fortunate to bring the tech w/ me for a test drive so I could "show" him the noise I was referrring to. He heard it and took it for a day to dig around. He found a tech bulletin that he believes describes the problem. The document ID is 1852397 and the long and short of it is its a design defect (or "characteristic" according to GM) in the exhaust system. When the engine gets around 1600 RPMs it causes a vibration in the exhaust which manifests itself as a humming or groaning noise inside the vehicle. Not the answer you wanted, but thought I would pass it along...

STS2002
05-02-07, 11:03 AM
I own an '05 STS w/ AWD...Heard a similar noise when driving at cruising speed and brought it in...I was fortunate to bring the tech w/ me for a test drive so I could "show" him the noise I was referrring to. He heard it and took it for a day to dig around. He found a tech bulletin that he believes describes the problem. The document ID is 1852397 and the long and short of it is its a design defect (or "characteristic" according to GM) in the exhaust system. When the engine gets around 1600 RPMs it causes a vibration in the exhaust which manifests itself as a humming or groaning noise inside the vehicle. Not the answer you wanted, but thought I would pass it along...

Was the tech able to fix this problem?? If so, what did they do to correct it?

z06bigbird
05-04-07, 09:49 PM
here goes....

I just bought a 2005 sts in december, had a lot of minor problems with it. So i decided to tackle the following (2):

The drivers seat is loose and the the dealer stated he tighted it. Now it still cracks a little when taking turns, he tells me its probably the cold.

The phamton noise in the back of the car. This is driving me nuts. When I accerate it sounds like a vibration and while driving (not accelerating) it sounds like rattling. The problem is it is not all the time. So I had a tech drive with me twice, he sits in the back seat and doesn't hear it. I don't hear it all the way home either. The next time i pull out of my garage there it is....?????

I have observed these (2) common problems, has anyone actually fixed them??? I traded in a 2000 sts and never had any problems like this. Am I just being a picky customer????

In regard to seat, weather is warm now. Take him for a test drive. Broken baffle floating around in muffler??