: New revised Head Torque Procedure

dloch
03-20-04, 10:09 PM
What is the new headbolt torquing procedure now??

30 Lb/ft
70 Degrees
60 Degrees
60 Degrees

190 Degrees total??

Lawrence
03-21-04, 12:30 PM
I used it, and it took the additional 8 ft lbs and 10 degrees fine. I don't think it is critcal and you could use the original specs if you are concerned.

Are you that far along? I didn't realize you were starting it so fast.

dloch
03-21-04, 08:00 PM
I'm not that far yet. I just ordered the timesert kit on friday along with 30 additional inserts. 10 for this engine plus the 10 in the kit and 20 for the engine I will be taking out. I want to get all my data together so when I go at this I have everything together... trying to be proactive...

Lawrence, I'll e-mail you from work, don't have your e-mail address here at home. Do you have any pictures of the valley of your's? I need a picture of the where the knock sensor goes.

Lawrence
03-21-04, 09:25 PM
The knock sensor has the duct tape "tag" on it, on the rear (right side) of the block. This is about the best pic I have of the valley.

Geno Castellano
03-21-04, 10:37 PM
Lawrence's knock sensor on his 94 is outside the valley on the RH side of the block. dloch, yours is inside the valley on your 97. The knock sensor location moved to the inside of the valley in 96 I believe. It is mounted to the boss you see sticking up in the valley up on the side wall of the valley on the RH side of the valley. the knock sensor boss is just in front of the diagonal wall in the valley that is in front of the starter.

Lawrence
03-22-04, 12:08 PM
Lawrence's knock sensor on his 94 is outside the valley on the RH side of the block. dloch, yours is inside the valley on your 97. The knock sensor location moved to the inside of the valley in 96 I believe. It is mounted to the boss you see sticking up in the valley up on the side wall of the valley on the RH side of the valley. the knock sensor boss is just in front of the diagonal wall in the valley that is in front of the starter.

Do the sevice engines come with provision for the knock sensor in either location?

Can the sensor be located in either postion on a production 94 or 97 block, or must a 94 block be on the rear and the 97 be in the valley?

BeelzeBob
03-22-04, 01:33 PM
Do the sevice engines come with provision for the knock sensor in either location?

Can the sensor be located in either postion on a production 94 or 97 block, or must a 94 block be on the rear and the 97 be in the valley?

Service engines will have both locations present. Use the location for that model year....i.e....you should use the outside location that the 94 originally used...just where your sensor is at. Do NOT move it to the valley.

dloch
03-22-04, 04:41 PM
The block that I have doesn't have an additional knock sensor boss ahead of the diagonal wall. In the service manual it does indeed show in the valley, I thought it was screwed into the right hand boss of the diagonal wall.

dloch
03-22-04, 04:52 PM
Geno,

If you look close at Lawrences it almost looks like the right boss of the diagonal wall is tapped for the knock sensor.... or it that another boss in front of the wall?

I'll take a picture of mine tonight and attach.

Geno Castellano
03-22-04, 09:18 PM
Geno,

If you look close at Lawrences it almost looks like the right boss of the diagonal wall is tapped for the knock sensor.... or it that another boss in front of the wall?

I'll take a picture of mine tonight and attach.

I'm pretty sure that the knock sensor is screwed into a boss on the side wall of the block in the valley...not into the thin diagonal wall across the valley. I would suspect getting a good knock signal in the thin diagonal wall. Is the "spare" block you have a 96 or later block? If it doesn't have a knock sensor boss then it's not a 96 or later I would say. The original engine in your 97 certainly has the knock sensor on the wall of the valley.

dloch
03-22-04, 11:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that the knock sensor is screwed into a boss on the side wall of the block in the valley...not into the thin diagonal wall across the valley. I would suspect getting a good knock signal in the thin diagonal wall. Is the "spare" block you have a 96 or later block? If it doesn't have a knock sensor boss then it's not a 96 or later I would say. The original engine in your 97 certainly has the knock sensor on the wall of the valley.
Here is a picture of the valley of the block I have. Is the boss there but just not tapped?

haymaker
09-15-04, 02:12 AM
What is the new headbolt torquing procedure now??

30 Lb/ft
70 Degrees
60 Degrees
60 Degrees

190 Degrees total??

I have a 97 STS that I am time-serting. I would like to know if this is the latest correct headbolt torque specs? To date I have read a lot of different torque values starting at 22 lb/ft 90 degrees 90 degrees, 22 lb/ft 60 degrees, 60 degrees and 6o degrees. and now this one. Which one should I use?

Geno Castellano
09-15-04, 03:18 PM
I have a 97 STS that I am time-serting. I would like to know if this is the latest correct headbolt torque specs? To date I have read a lot of different torque values starting at 22 lb/ft 90 degrees 90 degrees, 22 lb/ft 60 degrees, 60 degrees and 6o degrees. and now this one. Which one should I use?

Basically, any of them will work fine. They are all very very similar in that you end up with about 180-190 degrees of turn to the bolt after the initial torque to seat the bolt. The 30 ftlb, 70/60/60 puts the head bolts into a little more tension which is good for head gasket life and sealing performance and should be of no concern at all (what with the greater bolt load) since you have timeserted the block. Use that one if you need help deciding.

haymaker
09-15-04, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info. You have been a great help.