: Peeling Radio Buttons ... Dealer Refuses to Change Them

mdc
03-01-07, 12:42 PM
So the right side buttons on my Radio/Nav Unit are all peeling in some way ... and this is in less than a year

I take it to the dealer to show them and they claim it is "reasonable wear and tear" and that I would have to pay should I want them fixed ...

Is there anything I can do to get this fixed without shelling out hundreds of dollars? This is crazy ...

odla
03-01-07, 01:07 PM
take it to another dealer. they replace my whole nave whin i did mine a few months back. No questions asked. Your dealer sounds like bs

rand49er
03-01-07, 02:00 PM
take it to another dealer. ... Your dealer sounds like bs:yeah:

lawfive
03-01-07, 02:22 PM
:yeah:

Dreamin
03-01-07, 02:27 PM
:yeah: ++

heavymetals
03-01-07, 02:35 PM
:yeah: and start wearing driving gloves or it's gonna happen again.

mdc
03-01-07, 02:37 PM
:yeah:

I was feeling left out

anim8orCTSV
03-01-07, 03:33 PM
Just so you see the difference in dealers (and that you have every right to get it fixed)...

I took my V in to fix the peeling buttons and they replaced the radio.

Two days later I took it back and showed them that the "Band" button had the text printed on it crooked. They took my V again and replaced it with a new radio again.

No questions asked.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

Jon
03-02-07, 12:08 AM
Michael,

Take it to Highland in Aurora. Ask for Derek Carr and tell him Jon sent ya. They've been great to me. :)

ewill3rd
03-02-07, 08:45 AM
If all else fails, we can get the buttons.
They are a little pricey at $16 US a piece but they are replaceable.
The only way to keep them from peeling again is to be extra careful when using them.
If you were my customer I would replace the buttons under warranty.
Most dealers don't realize this is possible and they don't want to spend the warranty dollars to replace the entire unit.

nikon
03-02-07, 09:22 AM
once you get it fixed, do a search for 'peeling nav buttons' there's other ways to prevent it, one of our lady owners put nail polish on hers..another was some kind of spray that entailed taking the nav apart..and others have tried numerous other things too...but ya my dealer also replaced mine no questions asked.

Good luck ;)

03-02-07, 03:06 PM
The only way to keep them from peeling again is to be extra careful when using them.
If you were my customer I would replace the buttons under warranty.
Most dealers don't realize this is possible and they don't want to spend the warranty dollars to replace the entire unit.

That's good to hear Will because I am your customer (though I never met you but I know James) and my buttons are all starting to flake on my '04. Probably in a couple of months when my inspection is due I'll be in for the inspection, the nav buttons, and I need my self-installed Corsa pipes adjusted and am too lazy to do it. When I hit big puddles in the rain (yeah at almost 3 years old I do in fact drive it in the rain) the pipes warp and rub against the driveshaft until they heat back up again. Sounds like holy hell.....

Doug

jegeiger
03-02-07, 06:32 PM
I picked my car up last night from service. My two radio knobs had several chips in them. All of my radio buttons on the sides were OK. These two knobs easily pull off for replacement.
The dealer replaced the whole radio. I was shocked. He said the knobs weren't available seperately so he had to replace the entire unit. Now I have to reprogram everything in my settings, radio and nav. Seems like those knobs wouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars apiece.
Go figure.

Imperator
03-02-07, 08:54 PM

ewill,

Would you mind sending me the part numbers for the radio buttons (or is there a way I can buy two from you)? I'd like to get one of each different size to have a clear skin applique made for us all. Send me a PM if you have more info.

ewill3rd
03-02-07, 08:59 PM
jeg, the joke is kind of on your dealer. GM released a TSB a few months ago with part numbers for the knobs. They are available and they are considerably cheaper than the whole radio, by a couple thousand dollars actually. Don't get me wrong, its pretty cool they replaced the radio for you. Make sure your steering wheel controls work properly. If they didn't set the radio up properly, they won't.
The buttons are a different story, most dealers don't even know we can get them from our service centers.

610, we order the buttons and usually get them overnight but I have to get the part number out of the radio to be sure we have the proper ones ordered.

You might want to talk to James about pricing having the pipes adjusted and welded at the resonator. We have had a few guys do it and they really like it.
I can adjust those up pretty well but one of the clamps ends up still being sort of visible under the car due to space restrictions. It can be an ominous task lining up all those pipes as I am sure you are well aware.

We'll be here when you are ready ;)

ewill3rd
03-02-07, 09:03 PM
Imperator,

It works best if you can get me the part number off the label on your radio.
PM James (Lindsay Cadillac) with the radio part number and identify which buttons you want and how many. They are $16 a piece I believe, and I can't get you the part numbers because they are not available through GM parts. I have to buy them from my radio service center up in New York, then I can have Luke ship them out to you.
James can arrange all that for you.

We could "guess" at what part number you have and there might not be a difference between models, but it is best to be sure if you can get the radio out and check the label.
;)

Imperator
03-02-07, 09:16 PM
:highfive: Hmm, I haven't even attempted at pulling my radio out yet and the radio buttons are [still] flawless, but I'm not sure how long. I'd like to think the nav unit uses the exact same buttons for all model years.

I have a guy who can make precut clear thin plastic appliques that adhere to the top of the radio buttons. I want to send him the actual button so that he can take dimensions and try a test-fit. The idea is to just provide appliques for the most frequently-used buttons, including the 7 function buttons on the left, 6 preset switches on the right and the single "SEEK" rocker switch on the bottom.

All I need is the SEEK rocker and one of the left or right selection buttons, since they're roughly the same dimension, just flipped. If it all works out, we can get an applique kit out to forum members. :highfive:

lasstss
03-02-07, 09:17 PM
Or you can find a set of the aluminum knobs and never have to worry about it again.

platinum_plus
03-02-07, 09:23 PM
i took mine in because it was still under warantee. it took 3 days to replace the entire nav unit, not just the buttons, but they hooked me up with an STS as a rental. no questions asked!

ewill3rd
03-02-07, 10:44 PM
I would assume that the buttons are all the same, but... you never know with these manufacturers.
If you want, PM James and we can use his radio number and order the ones you need and you can cross your fingers that they will be a spot on fit.

James has the aluminum knobs on his radio, they are pretty cool looking.
;)

Poopie D
03-03-07, 12:34 PM
Ewill:

Is there a way to get a new nav screen? I will buy 50 of them! Every week somebody will get in my car and think it is a touch screen and put a nice scratch on it...that in the right light, is enough to drive me nuts! I tried the nav protector from ebay but it looked like crap (i put it on wrong, I may try ordering another one)

ewill3rd
03-03-07, 12:37 PM
Poopie D,

I am not sure about that, I'd have to call my service center and see if they will sell the circuit board with the screen on it.
I am sure it will be a pricey item if it is available.
Would definitely need the part number off the radio for that one.

Poopie D
03-03-07, 12:49 PM
By Part number do you mean the whole radio or some sort of number on the part that I want?

Would all nav units have the same part number?

RamAir02
03-03-07, 02:44 PM
My local dealer just replaced my entire Nav system for peeling buttons. They said they sent the units out and have the buttons repaired.

ewill3rd
03-03-07, 05:12 PM
There are 4 or 5 different part numbers.
I am sure the differences are internal due to changes in features over the years.
While I would assume the buttons are all the same, I hate to assume.
;)

Usually the fastest repair (and most expensive) is an exhange radio, it can be done overnight. You could send the radio out and have them replace the buttons but then you are looking at 3 days minimum and probably 4. Some dealers won't pay the rental bill for buttons. We overnight the buttons and put them in ourselves.

When I ask for the part number I mean the one on the label. To access the label you need to remove the radio and look on the top of the unit.
You can try popping out the vent over the radio and looking but I don't think you can see the label unless you pull the radio out.
It is easy to get out really.
Just gotta watch that screw behind the ash tray!

Thello
03-03-07, 07:57 PM
I was getting a chip a month until I coated them with polyurethane. I didn't want the hassle of trading out my nav system. In direct sunlight you can tell something is on them, but still looks better than chipped. No new chips for three months now.

Seattle CTS-V
03-04-07, 02:49 AM
I have one button peeling and my dealership, Bellevue Cadillac, is replacing the whole unit next week. They're also replacing my 2nd differential...with another '06 one.