: An odd car?

gubten
03-01-07, 10:11 AM
I'm looking at buying my 3rd cadillac..a 2005 STS V8 AWD. I've been researching like crazy and so far, from this site, the one I am just about to buy may not be true. i'm having to travel a bit to drive the car and I want to make sure I'm not making the trip for nothing. Independant seller claims:

Mileage: 7,500
Body Style: Sedan
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Gray
Engine: 8 Cylinders
Transmission: Automanual
Drivetrain: AWD
Doors: 4

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 with VVT All Wheel Drive. NAVIGATION SYSTEM. Adaptive Cruise w/ Heads Up Display. Power Moon roof. 1SG Premium Luxury Performance Package includes: Premium Tuscany Leather Seats,Heated & Cooled Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rainsence Wipers, XENON Headlamps, Intellibeam,18 Inch 9 spoke chrome wheels with Michelin P235/50R 18 Front and P255/45R18 Rear W-Rated Tires, Tire Pressure Monitors, Magnetic Ride Control, Rear Spoiler,4 Wheel Performance Disc Brakes with ABS, Performance Cooling Package,Premium ZF Steering. 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with Drive Shift Control. Independent Suspension with Automatic Rear Level Control. All Speed Traction Control. Stabiltrak-Stability Control. Tuscany Leather Seats. Dual Zone Climate Control. Power Tilt and Telescoping Steering Wheel. Remote Start. Bose 5.1 Studio Surround AM/FM with in dash 6- disc DVD changer,15 speakers, and DVD navigation, MP3 audio and XM Driver & Pass front & rear side Airbags. On-Star.

BUT I pull up a carfax report and it says RWD ...I don't to make a trip for nothing, especially since I live in a heavy snow area and need AWD.

Who is right? can those reports be wrong or is the seller? thanks

Benjamin Simon
03-01-07, 10:46 AM
I am looking for the same car you are.
Yes, Carfax can be very wrong about that. Look for a lump on the passager foot area for AWD.
Is this car you are looking at in NY for $27,900? I looked at that one a few months ago. It has a salvaged title FYI.

gubten
03-01-07, 10:58 AM
IT is!! I saw the title problems and did a lot of research, including having my insurance company do some digging (good relationship with them). Why didn't you get it? Did you drive it?

Benjamin Simon
03-01-07, 07:29 PM
No, never drove it. I live in Georgia.
I just did not want to mess with it. Chances are, the warranty is no longer good. Unless he wanted to give it to me for say $18K, saving a few $ is just not worth it. If you can find a AWD, you can get it for about $30K.
I just did not want to mess with it since I am so far away. If you can drive it and have it look at, it might be a good deal.

gubten
03-02-07, 10:39 AM
I am going there on monday. So after I finish , i'll let you know.

STS2002
03-02-07, 12:09 PM
No, never drove it. I live in Georgia.
I just did not want to mess with it. Chances are, the warranty is no longer good. Unless he wanted to give it to me for say $18K, saving a few $ is just not worth it. If you can find a AWD, you can get it for about $30K.
I just did not want to mess with it since I am so far away. If you can drive it and have it look at, it might be a good deal.

Hey Benjamin,

Found this car....thought you might want to take a look at it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-AWD-MOONROOF-NAVIGATION-HEADS-UP-DISPLAY_W0QQitemZ270095179000QQihZ017QQcategoryZ12 4117QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gubten
03-23-07, 01:51 PM
well drove and everything was fine. It has an interesting history which actually checked out. The sad part is the waranty is void..any ideas on how that can get re-instated? Maybe an inspection or something? Anyways.. I ended up buying the car...an awesome ride.

BarryH_GEG
03-24-07, 01:35 PM
The sad part is the waranty is void..any ideas on how that can get re-instated?

The car has a salvage title. This means that it was considered totaled and all warranties are void. The VIN is in the GM database and no dealer will provide warranty service on it. You can't buy a third party warranty because they access the same database. Also, if you decide to sell the car you must disclose the status of it's title which will scare most prospective buyers off. With all the electronic systems in the STS, one major repair could mean the difference between what you paid for a salvage car and what you would have paid for a CPO car from a dealer. Good luck.

Benjamin Simon
03-24-07, 07:41 PM
Very good points Barry. Selling it will be hard. There are just too many cars on the road that are clean.
Just curious, what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I hope you got a great deal. I paid $28.4K for my 1SG with 15K miles and 10 months old. Now it was RWD, but here in the south AWD is worthless and maybe even a negative given the poor mileage.

Wiseguy2
03-25-07, 12:23 AM
$27,900 for a car with Salvage history, no warranty, etc.. are you serious?

RUN, do not walk, RUN RUN RUN!

$17,500? yeah, take a shot. At perhaps 10-20% off of typical retail for a GM Certified car? Hell no. No way, ice cube on the sun's chance that you should buy that car.

BarryH_GEG
03-25-07, 01:52 AM
Anyways.. I ended up buying the car...an awesome ride.

Too late for advise...