: Weird Noise Some Opinions Needed???

Tags63
03-01-07, 10:52 AM
Hey All!!!

I just recently started to get a weird sound last nite. It sounds like a slight bird chirping when I start to climb up in rpm's. Very distinctive between 2500-3500. But goes away at higher speeds. I believe it's still there just can't hear it at higher rpm's. The car doesn't have any type of smoke from the exhaust, it still has the same amount of power it always seemed to have. All fluid levels are fine. The car only has 22k miles and I don't beat on it except for excessive speed. Everything is original except for what is listed below which isn't much. I even still have the same stock rear. I guess I'll have it towed from where it sits to the Caddy dealer but if it's something in the block and requires the engine to be changed, I certainly don't want them to give me bullshit about the headers & so forth. The car is also warrantied til 2010 or 100k miles. So whatever the problem, it should be taken care of by Caddy.

Thanks,
Paul::eek: :eek: :eek:

1QUICKV
03-01-07, 10:58 AM
i believe from reading somewhere that i could be a radiator hose where the the fluid was making the noise or something. i dont know.

ctsvflorida
03-01-07, 11:33 AM
I just dropped my car off for almost the same thing and it is coming from the tranny area of rear engine area. More of a ticking sound though then a bird chirping for me. 30k miles here. Check your PM's

lawfive
03-01-07, 11:56 AM
I suppose there could be a bird in your engine compartment...

Some questions:

Does it happen in neutral when you rev the engine, or only when it's in gear?
Is the sound coming from the engine, from directly underneath the driver, or from the rear of the car?I had a bird chirp under the driver when cruising in 6th at steady speed, only if I would either add a little gas or let off a little on the gas. It very slowly got worse over a few months. Figured it was the tranny, but turned out to be the diff.

Tags63
03-01-07, 12:08 PM
Hey!!

Yes. It happens in neutral as well and coming from in front of me and not under the seat.

Thanks......:eek:

BigEnos
03-01-07, 12:12 PM
Might want to check the condition of the accessory belt and especially the tensioner pulley. Sometimes they squeak a little, and your tensioner could be failing and that'll put more pressure on the belt. My Camaro has done it for years, but at this point it's a loud beast anyway so I don't bother.

FWIW, I don't own a "V"...yet.

lawfive
03-01-07, 12:13 PM
Engine. Time for the old stethoscope trick.

BigEnos
03-01-07, 12:14 PM
:thepan:

heavymetals
03-01-07, 02:37 PM
Power steering fluid low?

CTS5
03-01-07, 10:38 PM
If it sounds more like a "hoot" instead of a "chirp" and starts and stops at defined RPMs (1800 start/2800 stops for example) it's the thermstat housing and there's a TSB for it. Also this will only happen when the coolant's at operating temps.

Tags63
03-02-07, 09:52 AM
Hey!!!

Thanks for the replys back guys!! Hopefully it's the stat housing as you suggested. I brought it into Caddy today. Tipped my advisor nicely and he said he'll take care of the problem today if it's not a big one or give me a loaner car until it's fixed. Not bad considering I just drove in without an appointment. Now lets see what they find??? Hopefully, they will not take out my 160* stat or reflash my pc. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Anyone wants to chime in, please do.

Thanks,
Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tags63
03-02-07, 04:43 PM
Hey!!!

Well, looks like my dealer isn't going to do any warranty work on my car with the mods. They'll be happy to do service work but thats it. It figures. He actually said that the noise is coming from the service bulletin for the stat housing but they won't touch it. What a joke!! Guess they're never getting my business again. Anyone in the LI area have a dealer that overlooks the mods we do??? I thought I heard that Atlantic or Sarant did all work regardless. Can anyone confirm this please???? I wish I could get away because I would just go down to James @ Lindsay since I have a couple of other issues that may need addressing.

Thanks,

cadillac04
03-04-07, 12:10 PM
Your noise or "hoot" sound has nothing to do with any mods. My problem was solved and documented by a Field Engineer in 2005 with NO MODS on my car at all. The problem is solved easily by any dealer without tipping a service advisor. There is a TSB # 05-06-02-009A from March 15, 2006 that covers the problem and its solution. You can see the full details on the TSB by going to www.cadillacfaq.com (http://www.cadillacfaq.com) if you haven't already. With this answer in mind, I would suggest that your service advisor buys you lunch for doing his work!:tisk:

rand49er
03-04-07, 12:54 PM
Hey!!!

Well, looks like my dealer isn't going to do any warranty work on my car with the mods. They'll be happy to do service work but thats it. It figures. He actually said that the noise is coming from the service bulletin for the stat housing but they won't touch it. What a joke!! Guess they're never getting my business again. Anyone in the LI area have a dealer that overlooks the mods we do??? I thought I heard that Atlantic or Sarant did all work regardless. Can anyone confirm this please???? I wish I could get away because I would just go down to James @ Lindsay since I have a couple of other issues that may need addressing.

Thanks,
Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:That's absolutely totally ridiculous!!! Other than a few of your "lite" mods, we've got similar mods (shifter, headers, etc). I do swap out the PCM with the StealthV tune when I go in, but my dealer doesn't care about my mods.

Which mod(s) is (are) they particularly concerned about?

lawfive
03-04-07, 01:28 PM
Might want to check the condition of the accessory belt and especially the tensioner pulley.

Engine. Time for the old stethoscope trick.

:thumbdown: :thepan:

He actually said that the noise is coming from the service bulletin for the stat housing

:jerkit:

Tags63
03-08-07, 10:09 AM
Hey All!!

Thanks for your inputs here & on the other thread!! Since I'm friends with all the Kooks, I went in yesterday to have my bolts re-torqued and told them my problem. They made one call and by the end of the day a Service Manager from a local dealer called me and told me to bring it in the following morning. That they would take care of any & all warranty issues and they even put me in a fully loaded '07 STS. So I'm quite please with this outcome.

TrazzNJ
03-08-07, 06:07 PM
One thing you might want to check...I had the same sort of sounds, at idle and driving. My idler pulley came loose, shreaded the belt, cut my MAS wiring, destroyed the underhood insuation , and put the car into reduced power mode.This just happpened last week and is all covered under the war.

Ronsv
03-08-07, 11:24 PM
They made one call and by the end of the day a Service Manager from a local dealer called me and told me to bring it in the following morning. That they would take care of any & all warranty issues and they even put me in a fully loaded '07 STS. So I'm quite please with this outcome.

Hey Paul, who is the dealer that KooKs sent you to? I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from Paul Conte Cadillac today.
Thanks,
Ron