: New vs Old Cadillac logo.

lev
04-22-03, 09:36 PM
What do you people think?

I like old logo much better. It said tradition, heritage, principle.
New logo is an attempt to be "hip". Of course, being hip and attmepting to be are 2 different things.

Brett
04-22-03, 10:20 PM
i originally didnt like the new one, then i saw a picture of all the different logos Cadillac has used over the years. It made me realize that havent really stuck with one logo in the first place, now the new one has grown on me

Katshot
04-22-03, 11:19 PM
When I did my grill, I had a lot of people ask me why I used the old emblem. I think the old one is "classier". I agree with Lev. I like the old one best. Maybe it's an age thing ;)

Brett
04-22-03, 11:34 PM
Well good or bad, i hope they stick with it. I mean how long has Mercedes used their 3 point star..ummmmm....forever.

Ralph
04-23-03, 02:09 AM
They got rid of all the little duckies! I like the old one as well which they have used since 1966. I also like the 1947 logo, it looks like an arrowhead. I also like the 1908 "standard of the world." PS get down to the dealership and get the 100 anniversary logo pins that they have framed, if there are any left.

Elvis
04-23-03, 11:06 AM
I was going to post something about this a month ago.

I like the old crest better. I miss the duckies too!

Here's a link to some info on the heraldry of the Cadillac Crest:

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/coatarms.htm

Andrew60SP
04-23-03, 06:02 PM
I like the Goddess mascots of the 30's to 50's. If they could incorporate that into some newer models, that would be cool.

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_ima/msct38b.JPG

kcnewell
04-23-03, 11:07 PM
I agree, I kinda like the old one.......But I kinda like the new as well. Go figure!

dave1109
04-25-03, 03:31 AM
The new one, elegant without being plain.
I like the old rule of, K.I.S.S.
When you follow it you almost can't go wrong.

Chuck C
04-25-03, 07:46 PM
i love the new logo, wish they had it earlier

Scrapyard
04-26-03, 01:31 PM
I like the new logo, but my favorite is the one they used through the 50's and 60's. The flying V makes me think Cadillac.

JerseyGirl
04-26-03, 10:42 PM
I like em both..the old one is classy & original. New one is cool & hip...if I had to choose..I'd say new! Maybe...hehehe:D

BeelzeBob
04-27-03, 08:20 AM
I like the new one better. But, the old ones with the crown were nice too. I also like the big V's... :)

Astronomer
04-27-03, 10:49 AM
The new one is nice and simple. I never did get to understand the significance of the ducks, but; when it comes to understanding old ideas, I'm lost :burn:

Ralph
04-27-03, 11:54 PM
I thought the ducks were part of the original family crest? Or they are just so damn cute.

Elvis
04-28-03, 11:33 AM
The duckies are actually merlettes, a bird similar to a martin.

The were arranged in groups of three to represent the Holy Trinity.

In heraldry, they were awarded to a knight that made significant contributions in the crusades.

The black birds against a gold background supposedly denoted wisdom, riches and cleverness, "ideal qualities for the adventurous and zealous Christian Knights."

That's my "Cliff Claven" for the day.

Elvis
04-28-03, 11:38 AM
Is it just me, or do any of you see the irony in the fact that the Cadillac crest has veiled references to the crusades and Christianity?

The Caddy's of the 70's represented the epitome of American consumption of oil, which comes from Islamic nations. And today we find ourselves wrapped up in a "holy war" of sorts.

Just some ironic symbolism, I guess.

lev
04-28-03, 09:17 PM
Elvis, trust me it's just you.

Lay off those conspiracy websites, buddy :)

Ralph
04-29-03, 02:27 AM
Also Elvis, a lot of Muslims drive Caddys in middle eastern countries. A teacher friend of mine was there and even the kids have gold jewlery, and everything including cars are mostly gold plated!!

kcnewell
04-29-03, 02:39 AM
You guys need to cut back on the coffee!.....

Ralph
04-29-03, 02:40 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

lev
12-18-04, 02:49 PM
I decided to resurrect this thread as I want to hear what noobs got to say about this.

majax
12-18-04, 02:58 PM
I like them both. The old crest would not look right on teh new cars.

Ralph
12-18-04, 04:19 PM
Now that I can scan I can finally show you what the 100th anniversary "pins" look like. My Dad talked the sakesman into giving him 2 sets.

Did anybody else get these? I can't get the dates clear because it's behind glass.

highonchai
12-18-04, 06:21 PM
I did get one of those for my birthday a couple years ago, theyre a really neat piece, cool to display, but you can also take them out and wear them at car shows if you want!

Anyway, i definately like the older emblems better, the trunk emblem from '41, '42 is my favorite, i mean i have a tattoo of it! but you have to love the big V emblems from the 50s and 60s. I like the fact that cadillac has changed their logo throughout the years while still sticking with the traditional styles. The new one really fits the cars that its displayed on, older emblems would not look right on them. Sleak, simple, classy, powerful, sporty, modern, are all terms that apply to the new cadillacs and i think the new emblem as well defines these terms. The fact that the emblem changes throughout while staying the same in so many aspects shows that cadillac is willing to adapt to changing times and themes in America. How many other cars have changed their emblems as much as cadillac? The only thing i would bring back to the new emblem is the crown, it truly sais "I AM THE KING OF THE ROAD! i mean, check out my bling." :coolgleam
You can always do as a guy around here has done on every cadillac he's had since the 70s and have a flying goddess retro-fitted to your hood, drill holes where the nipples would be and insert red LEDs :histeric:

Anyhow, in conclusion the Cadillac emblem has always been a symbol for the times, and kudos for that Cadillac!

Adam
12-18-04, 06:24 PM
i like the previous emblem. i heard that the wreath was for the Fleetwoods in the 70s through mid 80s and then they started to put them on all the other Caddies but i am not sure how true that is. can someone tell me.

evilrussian
12-18-04, 06:45 PM
I like them all. Each and every one of them seem to fit the particular style of a car of that era. Hence the new one looks better with 21's century goodies like lo-pro tires, HID headlamps and such... Just my opinion :)