: Care of Black V's

stkshkr
02-28-07, 12:10 AM
I've had black cars for years and have tried almost every polish and wax sold. I've been using Zaino for several years and have been very happy with the results. I thought about buying a Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer and a friend told me about this place that had the PC, buffing pads and a sampler of thier products, and that the GTO forum guy's were very happy with the polish and accessories they sold.
I ordered the kit and started with my old Zaino swirl remover. Using bright work lights I didn't realize how many tiny scratches I had. Went to work on it buffing the swirl remover in until it dissappeared, had to do some areas several times but all scratches are gone and the finish is perfect. Tried thier sealant/polish and WOW, even my wife commented on it (and she never really compliments it, as she says it always looks good). Guys at work were also impressed. Maybe it's the PC but I don't think it's that alone.
Anyway if you're interested, here ya go.
http://www.tropi-care.com/

folex187
02-28-07, 02:03 AM
My PC is my best friend when it comes to caring for paint. You can really do a lot without the risk of damaging your paint. Also cuts down on the time it takes to wax. I couldn't imagine detailing any car without one.

V-Max
02-28-07, 07:12 AM
If your washing properly you should not have swirls. I've owned 4 black cars and other dark ones. Zaino has some really great tips on maintenance and application. The vertical application of their products and the hand washing in the same fashion are the key.

Better yet don't touch black cars at all. I hand wash maybe three times a year in Ohio on my daily drivers. Touchless or laser car washes are the best. Not much of a fan of natural waxes as the synthetic are just as good. Remember also that the more time or coats you apply the better it will look. If your only applying 1-3 coats of a product that is about all you'll receive in appearance.

Norm

thebigjimsho
02-28-07, 07:25 AM
If your washing properly you should not have swirls. I've owned 4 black cars and other dark ones. Zaino has some really great tips on maintenance and application. The vertical application of their products and the hand washing in the same fashion are the key.

Better yet don't touch black cars at all. I hand wash maybe three times a year in Ohio on my daily drivers. Touchless or laser car washes are the best. Not much of a fan of natural waxes as the synthetic are just as good. Remember also that the more time or coats you apply the better it will look. If your only applying 1-3 coats of a product that is about all you'll receive in appearance.

NormTouchless washes are NOT the best. Since they are touchless, they usually have stronger, more abrasive cleaning agents. The first two winters I had my black V, I only used touchless. Within 2 months(maybe 8 washes), 3 coats of wax were totally gone. Now, I store the V in the winter and only use touchless washes as a last resort.

I hand wash my V regularly using a boar's hair brush and don't have swirl problems. Griot's is the best.

Got5onit
02-28-07, 08:46 AM
Touchless washes are NOT the best. Since they are touchless, they usually have stronger, more abrasive cleaning agents. The first two winters I had my black V, I only used touchless. Within 2 months(maybe 8 washes), 3 coats of wax were totally gone. Now, I store the V in the winter and only use touchless washes as a last resort.

I hand wash my V regularly using a boar's hair brush and don't have swirl problems. Griot's is the best.

How do you go about drying the black vehicle?
I've been using microfiber wash mits & drying towels with some success. Washing at night helps, too. I've come to the conclusion that swirl marks & scratches are inevitable. BUT, if I can do anything to limit or severely delay their onset, I'd love to know! :bouncy:

Oh, and a nice tip I picked from another black vehicle owner, the California duster really is a nice quick detailer to get that dust off your finish. My fellow dark car owners know what I'm talking about.

The Tony Show
02-28-07, 08:50 AM
Amen to the Griots's, brother!

Nothing touches my V but their Boar's hair brush, car wash and wax. Once a year with the clay bar and random orbital keeps it looking sharp.

thebigjimsho
02-28-07, 08:55 AM
How do you go about drying the black vehicle?
I've been using microfiber wash mits & drying towels with some success. Washing at night helps, too. I've come to the conclusion that swirl marks & scratches are inevitable. BUT, if I can do anything to limit or severely delay their onset, I'd love to know! :bouncy:

Oh, and a nice tip I picked from another black vehicle owner, the California duster really is a nice quick detailer to get that dust off your finish. My fellow dark car owners know what I'm talking about.I use a Griot's microfiber drying cloth and then get the excess with a Griot's microfiber chamois. But I also live 1 mile from a major highway so 3 minutes at >80mph does a good job.

nickc50310
02-28-07, 09:10 AM
Hey guys, I need some help in this field badly. I have the usual love/hate relationship with my black CTS. Love it when its freshly washed, hate it 20 minutes later when its dirty again! :thepan:

Anyway, I usually just wash my car at the local ghetto wash. I use the power sprayer and foam brush. Im starting to think I shouldnt use that brush thing. Sometimes I use the brush and sprayer to get the hard stuff off and then run it through the touchless. Afterwards I always dry it a chamois cloth. I use a cali car duster to dust it off occasionally.

When I first got my car a year ago it has A LOT of swirl marks and tiny scratches. I had the car detailed and the dude got most of that stuff out. Now, the swirl marks are back with the very little scratches. I also have a few bug stains.

Basically I want to get my car spotless and eliminate the swirls/tiny scratches. Also, is there a way to remove bug stains?? I am going to have my hood and bumper repainted in the next month and I need to get the car waxed/polished to see if any other spots need to be painted.

I have never even waxed a car before. Ive always had my cars detailed. I do have access to a buffer but Ive heard you can damage the paint with a buffer.

Any suggestions??

Thanks guys! :thepan:

The Tony Show
02-28-07, 09:30 AM
Firat, don't even think of using that buffer on it with no experience. Let someone who is experienced do it, and only allow them to use a random orbital buffer, NOT a direct drive (rotary) buffer. Your car will look like a hologram, or even worse, get burned paint.

My advice? Spend the money on a Random orbital kit and some clay and polish. Clay will remove all the crap stuck in the paint that gives it that scraping noise when you run the chamois over it. Then you polish the car with the orbital and a fine polish, basically shaving a microscopic layer of clear off to reveal a smooth, scratchless surface below the part you see now. Then protect it with a good wax, either by hand or with the orbital.

It's not a cheap kit, but it's of the highest quality, and if you add up paying $100 (or more) for detail jobs every year, it pays for itself quickly. Plus, it's yours forever and you can use it on future cars!

The kit comes with a detailer's handbook and a DVD showing you how to do everything. I wish I had purchased mine 2 cars ago.

www.griotsgarage.com

Do it.

HushH
02-28-07, 09:45 AM
Question on the interior. What do you guys use to clean the sueded fabric portion of our seats?

capt. dan
02-28-07, 09:54 AM
From what was said in this post the clear is very soft on our cars. Sounds like even with extreme care when washing it will require a polishing more than I would like to have to do.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/84603-been-while-me.html

mocts
02-28-07, 10:11 AM
whenever i dust my car i just take a microfiber cloth and dust it off. is that bad or should i get the california duster? if so how much is it and can it be cleaned or do you have to buy a new one every year?

stkshkr
02-28-07, 12:01 PM
Just to clarify my car has always been hand washed by me, been clay bared 3 times and followed Zaino's instruction to the letter using 100% cotton made in the US towels. I had no swirl marks, but under extremely bright light it had very tiny scratches. The system I described removed all defects. I probably had 20 coats of Zaino on it and it was just in the largest car show in this area and recieved many compliments on the finish. As for the Cali duster, it leaves parafin (sp) on the surface. You're better off using a detailing spray IMHO. Using the right pads on the PC buffer and following instructions will keep you from damaging the paint (I was a first time user).

rand49er
02-28-07, 02:20 PM
... I hand wash my V regularly using a boar's hair brush ...Hmm-m ... never heard of one. I'm out to get one right now. :thumbsup:

Got5onit
02-28-07, 04:17 PM
Just to clarify my car has always been hand washed by me, been clay bared 3 times and followed Zaino's instruction to the letter using 100% cotton made in the US towels. I had no swirl marks, but under extremely bright light it had very tiny scratches. The system I described removed all defects. I probably had 20 coats of Zaino on it and it was just in the largest car show in this area and recieved many compliments on the finish. As for the Cali duster, it leaves parafin (sp) on the surface. You're better off using a detailing spray IMHO. Using the right pads on the PC buffer and following instructions will keep you from damaging the paint (I was a first time user).

I thought the parafin(sp) was only after the 1st few uses. Once the duster has been seasoned, there should be no worries about parafin residue/streaking. At least that's what I was told. :confused:

Is parafin bad?

thebigjimsho
02-28-07, 04:27 PM
Nah, I had to dip my hand in a hot parrafin wax in rehab for my hand. I'd say it's good.

dqw1
02-28-07, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tips and it's time to order a buffer.
I used a Touchless car wash once and it results sucked. I ended up freezing my butt off re washing my car.
I also would never trust the brushes at a coin wash. I see guys scrubbing thick mud off their trucks and who knows whats left in the brush.

stkshkr
02-28-07, 06:37 PM
Once the cali duster is "seasoned" the dirt particles are imbedded in the parafin and fibers. Doesn't it make sense that the dirt doesn't disintegrate and is still imbedded = fine scratches. It's OK for someone thats not a perfectionist

Got5onit
02-28-07, 07:38 PM
Once the cali duster is "seasoned" the dirt particles are imbedded in the parafin and fibers. Doesn't it make sense that the dirt doesn't disintegrate and is still imbedded = fine scratches. It's OK for someone thats not a perfectionist

hmmm, never thought of that.
And yes, swirl marks chap my ass.

mocts
02-28-07, 07:44 PM
so if i use a clean microfiber and meguiars quik detailer is that better than just using the cali duster?

stkshkr
02-28-07, 07:55 PM
IMHO, yes

dqw1
03-01-07, 07:08 PM
I've had black cars for years and have tried almost every polish and wax sold. I've been using Zaino for several years and have been very happy with the results. I thought about buying a Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer and a friend told me about this place that had the PC, buffing pads and a sampler of thier products, and that the GTO forum guy's were very happy with the polish and accessories they sold.
I ordered the kit and started with my old Zaino swirl remover. Using bright work lights I didn't realize how many tiny scratches I had. Went to work on it buffing the swirl remover in until it dissappeared, had to do some areas several times but all scratches are gone and the finish is perfect. Tried thier sealant/polish and WOW, even my wife commented on it (and she never really compliments it, as she says it always looks good). Guys at work were also impressed. Maybe it's the PC but I don't think it's that alone.
Anyway if you're interested, here ya go.
http://www.tropi-care.com/
I plan on ordering a buffer tonight. What else should I order to get the job done right. I have a black V with swirls galore. Thanks.

stkshkr
03-01-07, 10:20 PM
If you're getting it from tropi care, get the the whole kit that comes with the PC (pads and samples included $161.99) add the swirl cutter and a bottle of the TC3 polish and any other things you think would be nice.

thebigjimsho
03-02-07, 10:50 AM
Griot's must have gained some serious clout with Porter-Cable. I drove to Coastal Tool in West Hartford, CT to get my 2 polishers. It was that much cheaper.

Now, Griot's has the polisher for much less at 124.99 stand alone. While the above kit is a good price, Griot's has a bigger kit with all the things you need for a great finish at $199.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11119

em2b96p
03-22-07, 10:23 PM
im looking to get a cts-v in black because i love how it looks, but ive never owned a black car... ive owned dark blue, dark red, silver, yellow, and that light green (i absolutly love) on the SRX..

from my experince with the dark blue the rock chips show white primer under and i hate it..

i love keeping my cars clean and am a perfectionist.. will i be in for a long term dissapointment if i get a black V?

V-Smooth
03-22-07, 11:52 PM
I used the Zaino kit and it works great, I was amazed. It's like the V was a black shimmering diamond or how my Mom puts it --shinnin' like a diamond in a goats ass-- The family has owned several black/dark cars and its just a matter of taking those extra steps to do it right and with a good product. PC buffer/polisher is def the way to go...just follow directions.

Black cars may be harder to keep clean but :eek:DAMN:eek: when its done right black is hands down the best color. Take your time and you'll love the outcome.

Oh and by the way, Raven black is the fastest color...:thumbsup:

Welcome, and good luck on your search!

em2b96p
03-23-07, 06:24 AM
Do the clear bras by 3M work well? cost? shine?

any links to more info on it?

rand49er
03-23-07, 09:06 AM

any links to more info on it?IMHO, that's the best way to go.

If your car is new, get it done ASAP. If you've got a number of chips already, get those surfaces redone, then put the clear bra on.

You can do just the hood, or you can add the fascia, the bumper, the headlights, the mirrors, the wheel well openings, the door sills, the top of the rear bumper, and on and on. I had it all but the door sills done for eight bills, though I'm sure others have gotten it done for a bit less. Figure a few hundred for the basics.

If you choose to tackle the job yourself, 3M has video (VHS) on how to do it sent to you for free on their website. I've got one kicking around, but after seeing it, chickened out and had someone else do it.

Here's a start ... http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSWSTWG6S9be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_PKD7VS0CHGgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

thebigjimsho
03-23-07, 02:46 PM
Clear bras are a MUST!

heavypedal
03-23-07, 03:14 PM
If you've got a number of chips already, get those surfaces redone, then put the clear bra on.

I fall into this category....bought my baby with chips already in the front bumper and have continued to collect em. How would we "get those surfaces redone"? Didn't know we could do this.... also not sure how expensive this would be?

Actually thinking new front bumper route....but that is getting perty expensive.

Thanks,

T

rand49er
03-23-07, 04:37 PM
... How would we "get those surfaces redone"? ... also not sure how expensive this would be? ...Yup, I haven't priced this out, but probably outlandish. It all comes down to your perceived benefit (how nice you want/need it to look) compared to that cost.

The point is, if you DID get it redone, you'd DEFINITELY want to slap a clear bra on it ASAP.

BTW, you can tell where some decent size missiles struck my car, but the bra shows a bit of an impact, and the paint still looks fine.

V-Smooth
03-23-07, 04:51 PM
Clearbra is the way to go. Was thinking about it when I got mine and I'm kicking myself :banghead: for not following through.

Although you do see that line in the hood where it ends, not too big on the way that looks but for protection-sake, wear a bra!

Koooop
03-23-07, 06:24 PM
If I go outside real early before the sun hits my black V there is enough Dew on the car that I can hit it with a squeegee then dry it with a towel. The surface scratches are easy to deal with, I just use darker sunglasses.

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, I need some help in this field badly. I have the usual love/hate relationship with my black CTS. Love it when its freshly washed, hate it 20 minutes later when its dirty again! :thepan:

Anyway, I usually just wash my car at the local ghetto wash. I use the power sprayer and foam brush. Im starting to think I shouldnt use that brush thing. Sometimes I use the brush and sprayer to get the hard stuff off and then run it through the touchless. Afterwards I always dry it a chamois cloth. I use a cali car duster to dust it off occasionally.

When I first got my car a year ago it has A LOT of swirl marks and tiny scratches. I had the car detailed and the dude got most of that stuff out. Now, the swirl marks are back with the very little scratches. I also have a few bug stains.

Basically I want to get my car spotless and eliminate the swirls/tiny scratches. Also, is there a way to remove bug stains?? I am going to have my hood and bumper repainted in the next month and I need to get the car waxed/polished to see if any other spots need to be painted.

I have never even waxed a car before. Ive always had my cars detailed. I do have access to a buffer but Ive heard you can damage the paint with a buffer.

Any suggestions??

Thanks guys! :thepan:

Buy a lite colored car, like White.

Ed

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:29 PM
I plan on ordering a buffer tonight. What else should I order to get the job done right. I have a black V with swirls galore. Thanks.

How much for that buffer????

Ed

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:31 PM
If I go outside real early before the sun hits my black V there is enough Dew on the car that I can hit it with a squeegee then dry it with a towel. The surface scratches are easy to deal with, I just use darker sunglasses.

My kind of thinking.

Ed

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:35 PM
hmmm, never thought of that.
And yes, swirl marks chap my ass.

Easy solution to ALL THOSE SWIRL MARKS. Keep you butt AWAY FROM THE BUFFER!!

Ed

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:42 PM

Clear bras do work. Most of the car dealers in San Antonio are using the 3m product. There is a local guy who sells the materials and installs the stuff. You really do not want to try it as it is much tougher than tinted glass to get it perfect.

5 year warranty, and it will be replaced (and installed) by local vendor.

I was at Cavendar Cadillac yesterday, and they have a new V with the clear bra on it.

I am planning on it for my CTS. Price varies from vendor to vendor, but front bumper, hood, headlights would probably run $600 to $800. I am trying to decide if I want to do rocker panel and wheel cut outs and lower part of fenders behind wheels.

Prices will vary too depending on how much material vendor is ordering. My vendor and I talked about me order materials when he is ordering a large shipment. Then he will install it when he has a slow month. He says he can give me a discount.

Ed

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:44 PM

A ton of Corvettes in San Antonio have the 3M clear bras.

Ed

z06bigbird
03-23-07, 09:47 PM
Clear bras do work. Most of the car dealers in San Antonio are using the 3m product. There is a local guy who sells the materials and installs the stuff. You really do not want to try it as it is much tougher than tinted glass to get it perfect.

5 year warranty, and it will be replaced (and installed) by local vendor.

I was at Cavendar Cadillac yesterday, and they have a new V with the clear bra on it.

I am planning on it for my CTS. Price varies from vendor to vendor, but front bumper, hood, headlights would probably run $600 to $800. I am trying to decide if I want to do rocker panel and wheel cut outs and lower part of fenders behind wheels.

Prices will vary too depending on how much material vendor is ordering. My vendor and I talked about me order materials when he is ordering a large shipment. Then he will install it when he has a slow month. He says he can give me a discount.

Ed

On that black V at Cavender Cadillac, I initially did not see the bra. When I ran my hand down the hood, I discovered it.

Ed

thebigjimsho
03-23-07, 09:49 PM
Hah! I break up the post streak with page 3 ownage!:bouncy:

stkshkr
03-23-07, 10:30 PM
Easy solution to ALL THOSE SWIRL MARKS. Keep you butt AWAY FROM THE BUFFER!!

Ed

Proper pads, polish and a good RA buffer will remove swirl marks not put them on.

GMBOUND
05-26-07, 10:29 PM
Proper pads, polish and a good RA buffer will remove swirl marks not put them on.

I need Specifics. WHICH Pads and polish do I need to get.
I just bought Griots Machine Polish 3, didn't work.
Gonna order Z-PC tuesday.

thebigjimsho
05-26-07, 10:43 PM
I need Specifics. WHICH Pads and polish do I need to get.
I just bought Griots Machine Polish 3, didn't work.
Gonna order Z-PC tuesday.#3 should get rid of fine swirl marks. Griots recommends that you start with a fine polish to make sure you don't need to use more than 1 application if you don't need to.

If #3 didn't do it, try #2. I had a couple of areas of ghost swirls when I took delivery from the dealer. Since I had the Griots stuff for my Town Car and I figured it was better than the dealer's stuff, I got rid of the ghost swirls with an application of the #3 polish and waxed up the whole V and was good to go.

GMBOUND
05-27-07, 12:27 AM
Just got back in from doing a second shot at #3, They're still there!
It does look good though, but the ever so slight scratches are sitting pretty.
I new I should have grabbed #2 while I was there but the salesman was like #3 is all you need.
This really sucks.

tuck
05-27-07, 11:20 AM
I have a case of pads for the porter cable polisher. these are the nice ones not the crap that came with it. I use to use them for gunstock refinishing but moved to a 3 inch air polisher. I will sell them if anyone needs some.

thebigjimsho
05-27-07, 01:24 PM
Just got back in from doing a second shot at #3, They're still there!
It does look good though, but the ever so slight scratches are sitting pretty.
I new I should have grabbed #2 while I was there but the salesman was like #3 is all you need.
This really sucks.Once you get rid of that scratch, you don't need to necessarily use polish in the future. If you get very slight scratches from just normal wear and tear and from your brush bristles or mitt, the wax is suppose to fill in the fine stuff so you don't need to always polish.

NormV
06-27-07, 02:59 PM
I just waxed my C5 that I picked in August last year and never waxed it. Drove 40K miles through Ohio winters and finally took some 3M clear coat running compound and a buffer and followed up with Z5, after going through the touchless. Pulled into the gas station under the floresent lights, which are the microscope of cobb web scratches, and the car looked like it came off the factory floor, scratchless! I use the touchless wash about 3 times a week over the last 11 months with only incurring the additional expense rather than doing it by hand. I'll never hand wash again!

Car looks gorgeous!

Norm

Touchless washes are NOT the best. Since they are touchless, they usually have stronger, more abrasive cleaning agents. The first two winters I had my black V, I only used touchless. Within 2 months(maybe 8 washes), 3 coats of wax were totally gone. Now, I store the V in the winter and only use touchless washes as a last resort.

Staxxin
06-28-07, 11:54 PM
I’ve had great success with Adam’s Polishes products. They also have kits including a portal cable. It’s a must have for a DIY.